SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Recommendations for reprofiling edge?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for reprofiling edge? Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So I have a Spyderco Mule team in s110v that I had my cousin do a handle for as he works with wood and knives a lot. Well it turned out great though the edge is dull now (not sure how it was shaving sharp when I game him the blank lol) and the tip he said was minutely chipped so he upswept the very end of the tip. Question is who do you recommend I send it to to make the tip more of a drop point again as I think the whole edge will need to be reprofiled. I could sharpen it probably, but would just have the person redoing the tip sharpen it up as my sharpmaker is decent but not “mirror edge” quality.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Send me some pics please.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Pics sent! Smile

posted Hide Post
Post up the pics. where are you located. I can reprofile it manually if nessisary. I don't charge. just pay shipping both ways. I have 2 wicked edge set ups i use to reprofile and sharpen peoples knives with.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I may take you up on that thanks for the generous offer.

And one of a normal unaltered one online for comparison
pc screenshot

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I could offer the same as DS, no charge, just pay shipping and we’ll dial it in.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ah the famous "lets make my spyderco a screw driver , pry bar, Today" .

They can loos their tips easily. There is no way of course to put the tip back, IE add the steel to the tip to keep the factory line.

You can reprofile the edge contour quite a bit though. Take it from 20-25* factory down to a 17*. That would sharpen up that tip to more of a point. It is a temporary fix though. A knife like that used like a fixed blade is not goint to hold up at 17* or less. 20* is about as low as i would go. I would start at a 20* base, round it out at 21,22,23,25 degrees to give you a good convex edge. The polish it at 21.5/22* with some leather stropping. That will put a durable edge on it with out a foil at the edge. It will not be factory. To be honest I am wondering how much of the blade has been removed. The pics are different scales/sizes but there looks like there is a fair bit of removed down by the choil and ricasso/quillon. That as I said is difficult to assertain between the stock photo and yours.

One nice thing about the wicked edge is that it removes the bare minimum of steel nessisary to reprofile an edge. If you are looking to reprofile the Blade back to a smaller version of the oreiginal spyderco, that is a job for Sybo.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I appreciate both of you chiming in and offering to help. This is why I love this forum. Knowledgeable and amazingly kind people on here. Since Sybo inquired first, and because I would indeed like the blade to look like the original (albeit of course slightly smaller I can understand) I am going to give him a crack at it. Thanks DSGrouse so very much though.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I appreciate both of you chiming in and offering to help. This is why I love this forum. Knowledgeable and amazingly kind people on here. Since Sybo inquired first, and because I would indeed like the blade to look like the original (albeit of course slightly smaller I can understand) I am going to give him a crack at it. Thanks DSGrouse so very much though.

For that kind of job, Sybo has the tools. To reprofile an edge I can do it easily. To reprofile a blade shape and thickness, it is just not something I can do. Put a nick from a staple in that puppy, i am your guy, don't mind the chip at the tip changing the blade shape just want it sharp and pointy. I can do that.