SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Esee 5
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Esee 5 Login/Join 
Picture of InLoveWithSigs
posted
Just snagged an esee 5. Got talked into it at my LGS as I was in the market for a fixed blade survival knife. Not unhappy with the kk I’ve, but it’s heavy.. and I prob overpaid (but always good to support my LGS).

I’ve since checked out a few reviews of the knife and it seems like people rate it highly.

Tell me I won’t be disappointed

Sigs: P220, P228, P239, P290, P365, P365 NRA

Posts: 1131 | Location: Midwest | Registered: October 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have a 4 and an Izula, and really like them. I have other knives to fill the “big knife” role, but the 5 would do it just as well.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I really like my 5, I also have a LaserStrike, a 6, and a Junglas. I like the 5 the best. Why? It is just so "substantial," a serious piece of steel. Seems like you could beat on it all day long and not do it any harm while whatever you are beating it on is going to be a hurting puppy. Probably not the first choice for delicate work. Big Grin

Posts: 6399 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of ESEE fixed-blade stuff as well. I've got a couple with The Knife Connection replacement scales that really complete the set-up.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1925 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
ESEE makes great gear. I prefer the 3 for most purposes, but since you're wanting a large and beefy blade for survival use, the 5 is a great choice.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a beast. You won't be disappointed as long as that's what you were looking for. You'll want a smaller, lighter, finer blade (could easily be a pocket knife) to act as a companion piece and do the more delicate work. But you won't be under-gunned (under-knifed?) for the tough work. Stout, sturdy piece of metal. Feels good in the hand, too.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I picked up a ESEE 5 today also.
It could easily one up Crocodile Dundee. It's the stoutest knife I've ever held. I have no doubt it will hold up to any abuse I could put it through.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have a 4 that has been on mt bAckpack shoulder strap for years. Has seen a lot of use. Great blade IMHO.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I was so happy with the quality and heft of my sharpened pry bar that I've since picked up a fixed Xancudo in S35V stainless for edc and a 1095 ESEE-3 with the contoured G10 scales.
I guess I'm a fan. Wink

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
After reading the fixed blade thread, decided I needed wanted an ESSE 5.

Ordered from The Knife Connection using their “Knife builder” option.

This thing is a beast, folks weren’t lying when they said it was a thick and heavy knife.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10918 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cannot go wrong with a 5

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Izula II is now my EDC.

I have only been carrying it a few weeks and it seems very well made

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post