SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Dilemma about sharpening a new knife?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dilemma about sharpening a new knife? Login/Join 
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted
I bought a ZT0301TS from Kershawguy's website and it got here quickly, fits my hand perfectly, but it came unsharpened. It has an edge grind, but it isn't sharp enough to break skin.

So do I send it back to Kershaw (they said they would sharpen it), find someone to trust with it, or do it myself? I've re-sharpened blades before, but I've never done one from scratch before.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
That's is really sad to hear, but maybe one "slipped through" without a final honing. Unless you are confident, I would send it back and I'm sure they will take care of it . I would request a RMA so they pay for shipping! Things happen..............

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talk to Kershawguy his reputation of quality service is well earned.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly proficient at sharpening, but I'd send it back. ZT will make it right.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Send it back. If it is that dull, it missed a step or two, and putting a real edge on it will take a fair amount of work. They'll fix it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I got an e-mail from Kershaw / ZT saying it passed their sharpness test of cutting newsprint and they were not going to sharpen it. They said it was sharp enough to shave with. It isn't. If it were sharp enough to shave with, it would have cut my skin bloody. I have a phone video of me drawing it across my skin with enough pressure to indent the skin. No blood, no parting of skin, nada. So I spent money shipping it to them for nothing. I kept hearing about how great their CS is, but this is a bad joke.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I'd be pissed. I got a Benchmade one time that came with a dull edge like you describe on your knife. I sent it in to them and it came back with a screaming sharp edge.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post