SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    One knife pattern to rule them all.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One knife pattern to rule them all. Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piedrarc:
My wife is a Warden for CDFW, it's called Fish and Wildlife now. I'm gonna have to ask her about this knife.

Yes please! I would love any information that she or her colleagues could provide. I'd be very appreciative.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I picked up something of a rarity a few weeks ago.
This is an Ares 730BT that has been used and, frankly, abused/loved/neglected. What makes it unique is that the blade is completely sterile, no Benchmade logo, steel type, or Elishewitz's markings anywhere. I've only seen one sterile-bladed Ares in the past, and that was an uncoated blade that was meant as a pre-production evaluation knife that Elishewitz himself owned.

The seller's pics:

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Look at these washers! lol

Look at the built-up pocket lint!
Also interesting is that he frame has three different AXIS lock spring holes drilled instead of one...most likely to see what spring weight/position would work the best.

Also unique is that the backspacer was made out of G10 rather than the plastic seen on a production model. The only other G10 spacer I've seen is on the 58 prototypes. The G10 is the lower one, above it is a standard production. Also missing is the tabs to sit the spacer easily between the frame.

My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Fascinating. And, good lord those washers...

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:
Fascinating. And, good lord those washers...

Yeah, pretty ridiculous.
I replaced them with phosphor bronze washers.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Well this absolutely minty-fresh new-in-box Ares 732SBT fell into my lap today. It's difficult to find this or the non-serrated edged versions of the most ubiquitous Ares in such fine shape.

Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
You're making me want to put my Spydies away and carry the Ares for a while.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usp_fan:
You're making me want to put my Spydies away and carry the Ares for a while.

Go for it! Smile

I rarely carry a spyderco anymore. My first real knife decades ago was a Delica. I used to carry either a Matriarch or some type of hawkbill as they are very proficent fighters, but now that balisong are legal to carry here, even those have been sitting in the safe. Even lugging a balisong around I still carry an Ares always.

The Ares is a rather specialized design compare to most folders out there. It's not utilitarian at all, slippery unless you've practiced with it regularly-- it's like driving a bike or cage with a shitload of horsepower without knowing how to harness it all efficiently and safely.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I picked up this well-loved and broken-tipped Ares 735SBT on the cheap, mostly because I wanted it for spare parts.

Then I got an itch I had to scratch.
So I reground the tip into a sort of Americanized tanto. Then etched and stripped the blade, gave it a slight patina and voila! The only Ares Tanto that I've ever seen. Smile

Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Great job on the reprofile. Looks good as a tanto too

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post