SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Back in 1994/5 I was a broke beginning officer.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back in 1994/5 I was a broke beginning officer. Login/Join 
posted
I needed a reliable, thin, knife capable of opening with a thumb stud and with a clip.

All those years ago i settled on a cold steel voyager plain edge tanto point. I did not keep it in my pocket, but on the velcro strap of my vest under my uniform shirt. It was thin, and did not stick out. Easily at hand and reasonably sharp. With in a month, 3 other officers bought one and most carried them in their shirt pocket.

I carried that knife for years, till the blade finally gave in while trying to simultaneously use it as a prybar and gasket scraper. The clip, the knifes biggest weakness, had broken off a year after i left the force. I have missed it ever since.

Forward to today, a few months or so ago, Massdrop, The bane of my wife. Posted the new updated knife.

It is the cold steel voyager Pro Lite It has a bit thicker handle than the old Voyager, better grip ergonomics, with almost the same shape. It is still a lock back blade. Something I always have liked. and featuring a 4116 Krup steel blade. This is the same steel Henkles and Wustoff use. Yeah, not your modered uber crucible steel, But functional, Hard, good edge retention for 25 bucks.

Yep, back in the day i paid 75 bucks, For a worse knife. Today, I have a better overall blade,grip, and clip package for 1/3rd the cost. I bought 4.

For a beat around working knife, i am very happy. Is it stiff, yes. Is it as good as any of my 200 dollar knives, No. Is it comparable to my 75 dollar original yes.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post