SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    I have this old knife......Can anybody tell me anything about it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have this old knife......Can anybody tell me anything about it? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I was cleaning up today and wiping down some things. One of them is an old knife left to me by my grandfather.

It appears to have a stag grip and is marked RAMA with an arrow through it on one side of the blade the other being marked Solingen Germany.

Can anybody tell me anything of note?

Thanks all,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't know that brand - Rama - and couldn't find anything. Solingen is a city in Germany, as you probably know. It is a knife-making center. Sometimes "Solingen" was marked on blades not made there, but I don't know in this case.

Just as a guess, the sheath makes me think it was made after WWII, but it is hard to know. The picture doesn't make it look as if this has extraordinarily good construction, but it seems good. The stag is nice, but perhaps not the most practical handle, with the big curve.

Maybe someone will know the brand.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
There is nothing remarkable about the construction beyond the grip. Seems like a decent knife no more no less.

If I were to take a guess it is a 1950-1960s pickup by my grandfather.

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Wondering if the blade was an Indian knock-off stamped Solingen. Rama is the abbreviated name of a Hindu deity that is often depicted with a bow; so the arrow logo would make sense.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the coolest thing about it is it was your grandfather's.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it isn't "PUMA"?

Puma is one of the older knife making companies in Solingen. Been at it since the 1700s.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the coolest thing about it is it was your grandfather's.

Absolutely I am not looking for value just looking to sate my curiosity. I am very lucky to have several things from my grandfather and great uncle. I just sharpened all my granddads pen knives.

I always chuckle at folks who fight over inheritance stuff, well to be more precise those folks make me sick. I only went to bat for ONE item when my grandma died and it was an old 50s desk fan that I grew up sleeping with when I was there. It was a big joke in the family because by God that fan was mine. Reminds me of my memere every time I see or hear that loud odd noise it makes. I would have ceded a family fortune for that fan.

Of course by default I get all the family guns and knives.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Definitely appears to be RAMA with and arrow shaft making the lines in the A’s.

Indian blade makes sense by why the Solingen markings. In my research I didn’t get the impression solingen was anything special beyond having a long history of blade making.