SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Rescue knives...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rescue knives... Login/Join 
posted
I’m starting with the local volunteer fire department, something I’ve wanted to do for a long time but finally getting the opportunity to do.

So I want to get a good rescue type knife but I don’t know much about them. I’m thinking of getting the Emerson NSAR, does anybody have that??? I’ve ordeted 2 Emerson’s in the last week so I’m starting to get the Emerson sickness, are there other good options out there???

Thanks!

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have experience with it, but when I saw your post it was the first knife I thought of.

https://www.gerbergear.com/Kni...escue-Knife_22-41534

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
It's a little pricey, but I have a Benchmade Auto Triage and it is incredible. The Auto Main Blade and Seatbelt Cutter have been flawless.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akaSigFreak:
It's a little pricey, but I have a Benchmade Auto Triage and it is incredible. The Auto Main Blade and Seatbelt Cutter have been flawless.

That looks pretty nice, I like Benchmade knives.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akaSigFreak:

This X 1000. I LOVE THIS KNIFE. I have carried this or a variant of this on me daily for years. It has been used to cut the seat belt off of an unconscious woman in a burning car, and helped me break a window to rescue a toddler left in a hot car. I have tried others but nothing I have tried even compares!

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I gifted a young man going into the local fire/EMT squad a Spyderco rescue. I liked the Sheepsfoot blade and the aggressive serrations. I know he really liked it, when I see him I'll have to ask if it's still with him, he's now with the Las Vegas F.D.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try to keep some sort of Leatherman within arms reach.

Take a look at one of these:
https://www.leatherman.com/rap...t=Core+Brand&start=1

Even a regular Leatherman, surge, wave, etc... work really well.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8314 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I gifted a young man going into the local fire/EMT squad a Spyderco rescue. I liked the Sheepsfoot blade and the aggressive serrations. I know he really liked it, when I see him I'll have to ask if it's still with him, he's now with the Las Vegas F.D.

If he's with LVFD, he will never wear that knife out Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used a Leatherman Charge XTI for several years:

https://www.leatherman.com/cha...AEgJ4ufD_BwE&start=1

I have replaced the original nylon sheath with a leather one (due to wear from pretty much daily use) and added a bit driver extender and two extra sets of bits. I have never had to use the seat belt cutter for that purpose, but I have used pretty much every blade on this thing and many of the bits. I have used it to repair everything from eyeglasses to door handles.

Posts: 327 | Location: Frankfort, Kentucky.  | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
Can't Go wrong with Hogue/Elishewitz

Blade Length: 3.75”
Overall Length: 9”
Closed Length: 5.25”
Weight: 7.2oz

Locking Mechanism: Stainless Steel Liner with Manual Safety
Handle Material: Orange G10
Pocket Clip: Ambidextrous Stainless Steel Flat Wireframe, Reversible
Strap Cutter Blade
Oxygen Valve Wrench
Carbide Glass Breaker

Blade Style: Tanto with Flipper, Partial Serrations
Blade Thickness: 0.15”
Blade Material: 154CM Stainless Steel
Blade Hardness: RC 57-59
Blade Treatment: Cryogenically Treated
Blade Finish: Black Cerakote™

Also Available spear point

Blade Length: 3.75”
Overall Length: 9”
Closed Length: 5.25”
Weight: 7.2oz

Locking Mechanism: Stainless Steel Liner with Manual Safety
Handle Material: Orange G10
Pocket Clip: Ambidextrous Stainless Steel Flat Wireframe, Reversible
Strap Cutter Blade
Oxygen Valve Wrench
Carbide Glass Breaker

Blade Style: Spear Point with Flipper, Partial Serrations
Blade Thickness: 0.15”
Blade Material: 154CM Stainless Steel
Blade Hardness: RC 57-59
Blade Treatment: Cryogenically Treated
Blade Finish: Black Cerakote™

Same knives are available with Black scales also.

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1596 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing I like about the Emerson is that the seatbelt cutter is on the main blade but can also be used without opening the knife, I like that simplicity of having everything in one spot, no need for using 2 hands to deploy the seatbelt hook or worrying about having to close the main blade while using the seatbelt cutter.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
2 Keychain devices for you,

$35

$9

I have both on stock...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8316 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ordered the Emerson, other knoves look cool but i like the idea of having one blade with a seatbelt cutter that I can operate one handed without fiddling to unfold a secondary blade.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I know this is an older thread, but I just came across these (10 available.)
Great Gift or a self keeper.
Spring assist seat-belt and Glass breaker $40 shipping included!
This is a really nice knife at a real good price!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8316 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would (have) recommended the Spyderco Assist Salt H-1 Knife.
Great for the role. In H1 you never need to worry about corrosion.

Lateck,

P220R-45-EQ, P226R-40, P229R-9-SCT, P239-357-SAS2B, P365-9-BXR3 plus some Ruger's.

Posts: 265 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I have the standard Benchmade Triage used as the rescue knife on board the sailboat. The pattern on the G10 scales is seriously aggressive which is great for the purpose.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Had a little gadget similar to the CRKT keyring cutter on my duty belt for the 23 years I was a Highway Patrolman. Never used it one time.

A good small light, a strong folder like a Hinderer, and a good pair of leather gloves did me far more good at accident scenes.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post