SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Replacing lost Scallion -- [STRIKE]Leek, Mini-Barrage; Mini-Grip?[/STRIKE] Mini Axis Stryker

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing lost Scallion -- [STRIKE]Leek, Mini-Barrage; Mini-Grip?[/STRIKE] Mini Axis Stryker Login/Join 
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted
Lost my Scallion somewhere during getting the Christmas tree from the nursery and into the house. Grrrr. Had it for eight years, and it was getting nicely burnished, though it was due for a factory touch-up since the assist wasn't working properly -- got it on slash sale and have carried it since.

So I could go with a straight replacement, but I've decided to branch out a bit and look closely at the Leek and Benchmade's Mini-Barrage and Mini-Griptilian (at an obvious cost jump). Assisted opening isn't a criteria, and a guy showed me the Emissary, but I haven't looked into that much

So please give me the good, bad, and ugly -- I'll probably pick up another Scallion down the road because it's the perfect watch-pocket size, but for now, life's short, and I'm thinking of something different. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Holger Danske,

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 940 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have the mini barrage and the mini griptilian. The assist is nice on the barrage, but the mini griptilian is so smooth it opens almost as fast. On the positive of the non assist is it closes with one hand easily. If I lost both of them I would replace with the mini griptilian. It is my favorite edc.

You can get them on amazon shipped for 89 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Benchma...Handle/dp/B0001WB4PM

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with everything sig77 said. I wanted to try axis assist and so got the mini barrage. It's fast, but honestly the flicker on my Leek was faster. The non assisted opening of my mini griptilian is almost as fast, and I like that I can snap it closed with one hand if needed which you can't do with the barrage.

My vote would be mini grip if you are willing to spend the money. But the Leek is a really nice knife if you aren't.

Posts: 483 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benchmade 710 is being discontinued in 2017. KnifeWorks is selling them for only $119!! Ugh. The fit and finish on these seem to be better than some of the other Benchmades. I really like mine a lot and this is a smoking deal.

http://www.knifeworks.com/benc...ue.aspx#.WGg0C7np-Hd

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 525 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
chessiedog1, that is a good deal, but I'm looking to keep it three inches or under for blade length. I went to another place today with a lot Benchmades and saw another McWilliam Henry design, but it just didn't feel substantial enough in the grip if I go this route rather than the Leek.

I also saw an Mini Axis Striker (the non-auto version), which I'm leaning toward. I like the blade, and the handle was pretty nice. And if I saw correctly, it was less than either the Mini Grip or Mini Barrage. The problem is, I can't seem to find out much about it, which is a little worrying -- it's not on the current Benchmade site, so was why was it discontinued?

Oh, and I get why ya'll like the Mini Grip, but for some reason, the handle seems less pocket friendly than the others.

________

Posts: 940 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
The Mini-Grip is an amazing little knife. The grip shape is much more secure in the hand than the Leek, at least to me. I carry mine inside my pocket instead of using the clip, it fell out a couple of times and just through pure luck I didn't lose it forever.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holger-regarding the mini axis Stryker-I don't have one but it sure looks like a nice knife. Same blade steel as the grip, g10 scales which won't eat up your pockets as much. If you can really find one of those for less than the mini grip I would jump on it.

Posts: 483 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
The Mini-Grip is an amazing little knife. The grip shape is much more secure in the hand than the Leek, at least to me. I carry mine inside my pocket instead of using the clip, it fell out a couple of times and just through pure luck I didn't lose it forever.

If I carry loose in the pocket, the knife always seems to end up perpendicular to my thigh and sticks out like a sore thumb through my pants -- thus clips (and when available, watch pocket, even in pants other than jeans).

________

Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Benchmades lifesharp program is awesome too. My mini griptilian needed sharpening after several years so I filled out the form online and paid shipping and they sharpened it to a factory edge, put on a new clip and replaced the washers and returned it cleaned and oiled for no charge. Like a new knife!

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I frankly don't like assisted opening knives. I have flippers that open as quickly and easily (for me), and more safely, too. And others like the Mini-Grip that open quickly enough. Tough to beat that knife in that price range.

Posts: 1438 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
Just FYI, I went with the Mini Axis Stryker -- it was only a couple of bucks more than what a Mini Grip would've cost me, even if they had had a black-handled one, and only a couple of bucks more than the blue-handled one noted in the post above.

For a long session, no doubt the Mini Grip would ultimately be more comfortable, but that's not the purpose of this, which is EDC. I have other knives for serious woods use. The mini stryker is flatter without seeming to sacrifice usability; fits very nicely in the pocket, even the watch pocket; is very grippy without being too aggressive; and as mentioned, has the same blade steel as the Grip. It is not an assisted opener, which seems to help with slimness and weight.

Thanks all for the input. I believe I'm going to really like this one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Holger Danske,

________

Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Those are sweet looking knives. You will be pleased.