SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Cutco quality?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutco quality? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

My in-laws have a set of Cutco knives that they paid over $1000 for. Well over, I think.

Are they that good? I tend to like old Gerber, Shun, and Henkels. In the same class?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love mine, better then the Gerbers and China made Henkels.

The German made Henkels cooking/chief knives are better, but I like the Cutco steak knives better.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Hey all-

My in-laws have a set of Cutco knives that they paid over $1000 for. Well over, I think.

Are they that good? I tend to like old Gerber, Shun, and Henkels. In the same class?

Bruce

They paid well over $1000!! for a knife set maybe worth a couple hundred max. OUCH.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cutco knives are really pretty ridiculously overpriced. Cutco Chef knives are stamped out of cheap 440A stainless steel. For the same price you could have a hand forged knife made my a Japanese master knife maker:

https://www.cutco.com/products...a1uceuyucq1bbvqn5cz3

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/anbl2hagy18.html

There is utterly NO comparison in cutting performance. And frankly you can buy Much less expensive Knives than the Anryu that are still far far superior to the Cutco.

https://cheftalk.com/threads/cutco-knives.11067/

Cutco knives are all about marketing way overpriced mediocre quality knives...........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
Cutco is popular because of the Lifetime No Queations Warranty. I prefer my Shuns or Globals.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Buy them used for peanuts and then send them back to the factory. They'll come back like new, or replaced. Like Glock that way: they'll always work and get the job done and the company stands behind the product a thousand percent, but if you're going to spend a grand, there's classier ways to get the job done and get it done with better performance.

My wife used to sell Cutco a long time ago and we still have all the stuff she acquired from them. It's all dull as shit because she won't let me sharpen them and won't send them back to the factory, so that's where I'm at. I don't think they're all that great. The kitchen shears are next level, though, as is their pizza cutter and cheese knife. Of all the Cutco stuff we have, those get the most mileage. But two of the three aren't knives.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cutco knives are mediocre knives with a good warranty. Very expensive for what they are. Spend your money elsewhere.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Cutco knives are mediocre knives with a good warranty. Very expensive for what they are. Spend your money elsewhere.

This.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I have two of the fillet knives I use for salmon and really like them Have not found anything sharper.
if it's out there show me the way.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I loved my set...got them during a short stint selling them in college. Have used them for over 28 years. Sent them back 2 over the years. Come back almost new and they even replace several of them for free.

Couple of tips. Look for the salesman pack on eBay. Kids have to buy their sample at a large discount. They just usually want their $ back. Then buy a few more to make a set.

Also, if you buy them, they have a point system. For so many you buy, they can throw some in. Works out that you should never pay full price for them.

I will probably have these until I die...so yeah, probably worth it. We have a couple of Henkels that my wife bought..dull and sitting in junk drawer.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My MIL fell for the Cutco sales pitch. We've had them for years, as a result. Gift, you know. I would much rather have a real set. Real steel.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Have a small set with of five Cutco knives. Only knives I've ever cut myself. Twice. Sharper than any blade I can get with my Onion. Yeah, stupidly expensive, but if I were real chef I could make good use of them.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post