SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Please don't forget to remove your finger before closing your knife (blood warning)

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please don't forget to remove your finger before closing your knife (blood warning) Login/Join 
Picture of wolffy88
posted
I've only closed a knife a million times, but yesterday I was busy doing too many things at once and also using my pocket knife. Well it's damn sharp and I didn't remove the tip of my middle finger before closing the knife, and I almost lost it. It bled like a damn stuck hog. For a long while. Anyway, just a friendly reminder to slow down a notch or two.

Before the tip had been glued back on

The knife kept some DNA

-wolff

In the absence of light, darkness prevails. - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 1887 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Ouch! My index finger won't straighten out all the way on the last knuckle due to me closing a SAK on it when I was around 10 YO or so. Bled like a stuck pig, guessing it cut some tendon or something. I can push it straight and it didn't affect the feeling so it's no biggie. But it does stand as a warning. Although I still manage to cut myself now and again Smile

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 978 | Location: Bad Soden, Germany | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Who hasn't had this happen to them? Mess with a knife and you will get bit, just a matter of time. I am really surprised I still have all my fingertips.

Posts: 712 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Haven't been cut (badly) by a carry knife but by a utility knife. I was cutting back Yucca cactus fronds which are razor sharp. Got nicked by a frond and then cut by the knife when I pulled my hand back. Cut right down to the knuckle and should have gotten stitches. I wrapped it in tape for a week until it healed.

When life gets stressful, put down your firearm and play with your Barbie.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Haven't been cut (badly) by a carry knife but by a utility knife. I was cutting back Yucca cactus fronds which are razor sharp. Got nicked by a frond and then cut by the knife when I pulled my hand back. Cut right down to the knuckle and should have gotten stitches. I wrapped it in tape for a week until it healed.

Insult to injury there.

-wolff

Posts: 1887 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, it happens. I've been using sharp tools of a variety of sorts for about fifty years, and occasionally I'll have a mishap. Only takes a moment of inattention. Always a surprise, and always ticks me off.

Posts: 1388 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Been there. The nice thing about having really sharp knives is that there are virtually no visible scars afterwards.

The worst one I had in the last few years was when I put my BM 940 in the wrong pocket for the way I had the clip/blade set up. Ran down a flight of stairs not realizing that it partially opened in my pocket until I reached in to grab my keys but the blade grabbed me first.

Michael

Posts: 224 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
In this world there are two kinds of people. Those who have been cut by their own knife and those who will be cut with their own knife.

Yes, I have been cut by my own knife too.

Thank you for sharing your experience, even though it looks a little painful.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 33360 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a duct problem in a tent in Iraq, and solved it with duct tape. I stepped off the ladder as I closed a new Emerson Commander (liner lock) and the first sign I'd made a mistake was the wet feeling in my palm. I glanced down to find the end of my thumb hanging off at an odd angle.

Stupidity hurts.

Posts: 627 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
British by birth,
American by Choice
Picture of Longbow_06
posted Hide Post
Never mind the finger lol... That's superficial.
We all want to see full pics of the knife Wink

I will NOT Sit Down !

"There are many who vehemently argue something CAN'T be done.
They should stay out of the way of folks who are doing it."

Posts: 2808 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
This is the offender.

Old pic but I was too lazy to take another.

-wolff