SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    What do you use to wipe down your EDC blade?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you use to wipe down your EDC blade? Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Hello Everyone,

My EDC is a standard Kershaw Blur (black blade). I have used 3 in 1 and BreakFree CLP in the past. I don't use my EDC to cut food. I'm just curious to see what everyone else uses to wipe down the blade of their EDC knife.

Posts: 1955 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
I don’t use anything usually, maybe the leg of my jeans. I will occasionally use some ‘reel butter’ if the action isn’t smooth. Are you worried about rust?

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Not really. I don't live in a humid environment. I'm just an OCD freak and like to use something to clean off streaks and smudges.

Posts: 1955 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Food safe mineral oil. Used to use a variety of oils, but with a toddler around, you never know when you will need to cut food.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My jeans.
Once a year or so I'll blast it with the air compressor to get the pocket lint out and run it across a stone.

Posts: 10817 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I wipe the blade down with Isopropyl Alcohol, that removes the left over glue, gunk from use. Then a good rinse with hot water, good until I notice it being grimy. Don't cut food with it but would if needed. This is a Stainless blade, S30V.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Rubbing alcohol.

Then about once a year, I'll tear it down, clean all the lint and grime out from the innards, and relube with a few drops of oil.

But those are stainless steel blades.

I have some carbon steel fixed blade outdoors knives whose blades get a coat of Breakfree Collector oil in between uses.

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also use alcohol for a wipe down of blade since I do occasionally use it to cut food, it is an EDC after all.

Every so often I'll clean out any lint, etc. out of it. Especially in the lock bar area at the end of the blade. I can usually tell it's needed when I don't hear a snappy 'click' when the blade is opened and locked.

Tony

Posts: 305 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
a Very fine coat of gun oil.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8309 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried a BUNCH of different lubes and waxes. The very best I've found is Tuf-Glide. It keeps them working smoother longer. And you can get it in handy dispensers with a needle tip.

At least TRY it for yourself!

https://www.amazon.com/Sentry-...f%2Bglide%2Boil&th=1

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I've tried a BUNCH of different lubes and waxes. The very best I've found is Tuf-Glide. It keeps them working smoother longer. And you can get it in handy dispensers with a needle tip.

At least TRY it for yourself!

https://www.amazon.com/Sentry-...f%2Bglide%2Boil&th=1

They say use with Tuf-Cloth which is what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Sentry-...1&keywords=tuf-cloth

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well being a farm boy back in the 60 and 70s I can say I have used oil, grease and even wd 40. In todays pristine world that wont do Eek even though it works and seems to have done me no harm. Crisco is pretty good....

Posts: 383 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nothing on stainless steel. AG Russell's silicone on non-stainless.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Tuf-glide and the cloth in foil baggies that go with it. Water and a paper towel. Pants leg.

Just depends where I am at and what I happened to have smeared on the blade at the moment.

If I just used it to cut an orange, then a dab of water or spit and a paper towel will do...

I don't use it on boxes or tape often enough to have a problem with glue or sticky stuff. I have a blade in the kitchen that tends to be used on boxes - not my EDC blade.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Each morning I hit my knife with a strop or ceramic rod and wipe the blade down with a little rubbing alcohol. No oil or wax coating on stainless blades.

For my non-stainless fixed blades, I use a beeswax based furniture wax. Rub on, dry, buff off.

For leather sheaths, I use Obenauf's leather protectant.

For pivots I use Slip Extreme Weapons Grease.

For flashlights or anything with threads and an O-Ring I use a little silicone grease. I use the kind that is safe for water lines in the plumbing section of the hardware store.

Food safe mineral oil on cutting boards and kitchen knives.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aeteocles,

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
My jeans.
Once a year or so I'll blast it with the air compressor to get the pocket lint out and run it across a stone.

Same. Only difference is I hit mine with a strop to keep the edge nice and sharp. Frequency can be once a week or once a month, just depends on how much I’ve been using my knife.

If i have tape or other such stuff built up on the blade I’ll use Goo-Gone once the build up is to a level it annoys me.

I don’t use my pocket knife on food. Never been in a situation where I needed to cut food, but didn’t have a “food knife” near by. I swear some people just look for excused to use their EDC on food...and then refer to it as “food prep.” Roll Eyes

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My shirt

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, didn't know I was supposed to. If it's so dirty it sticks closed, I hose it down with hot water in the sink. Once it was really crappy is in threw it in the dishwasher. Usually I just swipe it on my jeans. I'w been carrying a really inexpensive Kershaw with an ugly finish.

Posts: 17112 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Throw it in with the dishes about 3 times a year. Then use a paper towel used to absorb bacon grease for the wipe down.

Otherwise pant leg and oily rag.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5128 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frog lube works great for me.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post