SIGforum
I need a nice new EDC folder, budget is 250.00 or less.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340601935/m/7440069534

January 10, 2018, 04:20 PM
newmexican
I need a nice new EDC folder, budget is 250.00 or less.
Hi Everybody,

Im looking to get a nice new folder, edc uce (cutting/opening boxes etc) but also something that is useful for going out in the woods with. Id like something fairly nice as I've never had a high end-ish folder before.

Im also looking for a bit of a cool factor.

Im considering the following but absolutely open to other suggestions.

-benchmade bugout
-emerson a100
-emerson commander

thanks!!!
January 10, 2018, 04:32 PM
newmexican
I'm sort of leaning away from emerson because the models I want arent available with the blade finish I'd like.
January 10, 2018, 05:23 PM
Exodus
My EDC is a Benchmade 810 Contego. Well within your budget and the CPM M4 steel is very tough and holds an edge well. It is NOT stainless though, so it requires a little maintenance.

It's a bit much to open boxes, but a great tactical knife that would be good in the woods. The aggressive texture puts some people off, but it works for me. Definitely has the cool factor you're looking for.
January 10, 2018, 07:02 PM
P-220
I have an Emerson Mini A-100. It was my EDc for a while, after loosing my mini CQC7.

The A-100 is probably my favorite design. It is unintimidating and has softer, classic lines. That said, it is built like a brick shit house, even a little better IMO, than my CQC7. After about a year, I was able to replace my green mini CQC7, same year and only 7 numbers off of the serial number of the one I lost.

My mini CQC7 is a 2002 and my mini A-100 is a 2010.

Please let us know what you decide to buy.

While not on your list, my current EDC is a Spyderco Techno. My first and only Spyderco.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
January 10, 2018, 07:03 PM
jjkroll32
I'm a big fan of Benchmades for the every day

http://customknife.benchmade.com/knives/

Lots of options to create your own - different steels, finishes, and scales as well as hardware.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight
January 10, 2018, 07:17 PM
newmexican
Does anybody have an opinion on the black blade finish from Emerson? I do ha e a 10% off code which makes it appealing.
January 10, 2018, 08:19 PM
djpaintles
Just a couple thoughts from a knifeaholic. I'm not a big fan of Black finishes on EDC blades, they tend to scuff immediately cutting boxes etc. and they can look pretty scruffy quick. I'm becoming more and more fan of convex edges on EDC knives since they are quickly brought back up to wicked sharp with a little stropping.

After trying dozens of fine knives for EDC my favorite still is probably a Spyderco Military Convexed. I want a EDC for cutting, the Spyderco Military has a thin enough profile to slice VERY well. For chopping and hacking it wouldn't be nearly as good........

I my Spyderco Military's but I have to admit for most it's hard to beat Zero Tolerance for the money.

Something like the ZT452 is under your budget and still sexy:

https://www.knivesshipfree.com...bon-fiber-framelock/

Carbon fibre frame lock with SV35 Steel. Excellent slicing profile if that's what you want a knife for. I have this knife and it's nice.

If you wnat a smaller knife check out the Sinkevich Persian:

https://www.knivesshipfree.com...ich-persian-flipper/

VERY high quality knife!

I don't have this knife but:

https://www.knivesshipfree.com...nderer-carbon-fiber/

But a Carbon fibre frame knife with Elmax steel for $168?? Nice.

FWIW Kniveshipfree.com has some other designer knives on clearance that are WELL worth considering. For the money I really like Zero Tolerance (they also make some Emersons). Mainly it's a matter of what type of knife you want, a slicer or stiffer thicker tactical type blade......

https://www.knivesshipfree.com...rblk-emerson-design/

........ An Emerson with black finish just for good measure. ;-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
January 11, 2018, 12:58 AM
Jaycat
I carry a zero tolerance 462. Perfect knife for me. Love benchmarked and Emerson's as well.

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!
January 11, 2018, 05:22 AM
msfzoe
Have you considered the iconic SIG forum knife, a Spyderco Endura?
January 11, 2018, 07:57 AM
Ironbutt
Emerson makes a good hard use knife & has a loyal following among knife nuts. I got my first one last year, a Commander, & I just never warmed up to it as a edc knife. It stays clipped to my emergency/first aid bag in my truck now.

Benchmade & Spyderco make some nice knives in a wide variety of blade steel/handle combinations. Spyderco's Manix 2 & PM 2 or Benchmade's 940, 950 or Griptillian would all be good choices & all come in well under your budget.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell
January 11, 2018, 08:41 AM
braillediver
Spyderco Paramilitary or Military. At $250 or less you can get a Fluted Titanium Military or even a Titanium \ Caron Fiber Military in S90V.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.
January 11, 2018, 01:27 PM
newmexican
Thanks for all the suggestions everybody and yes I am looking at the spyderco knives, they are sweet, more expensive than I remembered.

I just got checked in for my ankle surgery so I’ll have more time to go through all the options.

I really appreciate the suggestions and I’ll let you know which way I go!

Thanks again!
January 11, 2018, 02:28 PM
braillediver
If I may- Join Bladeforums and check the Folders For Sale Forum. That will give you an idea of the going prices and demand since the good prices will fly off the shelf.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.
January 11, 2018, 04:17 PM
henryarnaud
FWIW, I've owned a few Emerson's, and my favorite was the Mini-Commander.

However, I've switched over to Spyderco Delicas for EDC use, though I am tempted to add an Endura. Not sure how they'd stack up as a woods knife, though, as I'm a city boy. The closest I get to the great outdoors is occasionally spending a couple of hours on hiking trails at one of the local parks.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
January 11, 2018, 05:11 PM
maladat
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
If you wnat a smaller knife check out the Sinkevich Persian:

https://www.knivesshipfree.com...ich-persian-flipper/

VERY high quality knife!

This knife has a very non-traditional shape, but I have to say it's an effective one.

A few years ago I bought a Fantoni CUT fixed-blade knife (another Sinkevich design with a similar blade and handle shape) to use as a hunting/skinning/outdoors knife. It is AWESOME for that. I used it to skin and break down a deer and then to filet a few catfish (left my filet knife at home - oops!) a few weeks ago. It's the best knife I've ever used for skinning and field dressing, and it worked surprisingly well on the catfish.

https://www.knifeart.com/cutfixed.html

Fantoni also made a folder and a flipper version I'd been thinking about buying, but it seems to have been discontinued and isn't really available. Maybe I'll pick up the ZT version.
January 11, 2018, 08:42 PM
johnnyringo8769
well my EDC is a Zero Tolerance 030x series knife...i currently have three of them and they are hands down my favorite knives...it all depends on how large a knife u want...ZT Knives are some of the best...and i love the quality and warranty too...it will be the best money ever spent too...God Bless,John

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. Our Military
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

The Republic will cease to exist when the government takes away from those who are willing to work to give to those who are not.
Unknown....

"This is what the Lord says: 'Stand at the crossroads and look; Ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.' " (Jer. 6:16)
January 11, 2018, 10:49 PM
jimb888
Kershaw Blur with Tanto Blade. Pocket the rest of the $money
January 12, 2018, 11:15 AM
elberettas
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Kershaw Blur with Tanto Blade. Pocket the rest of the $money

My thoughts exactly!
January 12, 2018, 11:33 AM
djpaintles
I have a number of nice "Tanto" bladed folders but I just can't warm up to them because the "Tanto" profile is much less useful for everyday cutting than other blade profiles and the "Tanto" profile is more difficult to properly sharpen due to it's more complex geometry. If I was poking holes in people the Tanto might be the best choice otherwise a straighter blade with a moderate sweep is far more generally useful........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
January 12, 2018, 01:13 PM
newmexican
How about the CQC7 models???

does anybody here use one of those?

Im out of my surgery so i have some time to kill for a few days.