SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    What are you carrying or totin' today ??
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 91
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you carrying or totin' today ?? Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
#42 Missouri Trader
Indian Paint Brush Bone
1095 Steel

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, where did you pick it up?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Got it from Gunstock Jack's Knives http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com/

While the current selection of 42's isn't large since it's been a while they produced any, other GEC dealers carry 42's and they're all within a coupla bucks of the same price point for any given configuration. This was the only dealer with the Indian Paint Brush Bone (just the color they call it I guess) I could find at the time.

I also have a #73 (same pattern/size as a #72 lock back) and the smallest lock back, a #83. Personally, I prefer this #42 best. It's still thin, just proportionally larger than the other two.

Fit and finish is very good. The only "flaw" I could find is that the Tidioute shield was slightly proud of the bone on the bolster end of the shield. I patiently, carefully and gently massaged it with a dremel green stone, jewelers file and a worn out greenie meanie. Looks okay to me in the picture and in hand. The thing is, most folks likely wouldn't have been so picky and many folks may not have even noticed it.

There is also a very faint hint of vertical blade play at lock up. Not even noticed at all when in use and I had to look hard for it.

Super nice back spring / liner match up along the spine in both the blade closed and open position. Blade centering is spot on.

No half stop of course and the walk and talk is what you'd expect. This thing will be real sweet when it breaks in.

Blade is flat ground and the bevels are good. It came as sharp as any from GEC and will only need little more than a polishing touch up to get the edge popping.

Bone Jigging is superb.

In dress trousers, it may/will be heavy. 4 1/4" closed. 97 grams. My pocket impression is that of a folding hunter.

This #42 is going to be one of my goto knives. I really REALLY like this pattern and how it hands.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hobbs,

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Commence puttering and piddling around !!! ... after a cup of coffee ...
Schrade made Russell Commemorative Delrin replaced with Sawcut Mammoth
Schrade+ Simple Simon (SS1) original bent wire version

Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post

Posts: 545 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: December 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two queens today.

Robeson sure edge

Queen q-tac

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Northwoods Slim Jack
Pass the lime please and thank you

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Trying out a 301 Stockman and a 302 Solitaire

posted Hide Post
Today's bat kit.

Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post
Today in city

Posts: 545 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: December 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm
Esterbrook FP
Streamlight AAAA Stylus
Hubertus leverlock
Boker 712 Leverlock
Victorinox officer's automatic
Leatherman tread.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I really like that one hobbs. I will counter with a hubertus shell puller and a microtech ultratech.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
GEC #99 Farm & Field Tool

posted Hide Post
Today is yard work day

Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post
ofice Frown

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
... still ridin' with #99 Farm & Field ...

posted Hide Post
Today

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post