SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    What are you carrying or totin' today ??
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 91
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you carrying or totin' today ?? Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
It's a Great Eastern Cutlery knife in their Tidioute line ... #151114STL Huckleberry Boys Knife, Rust Red Jig Bone. It's what many might call a jack knife.

GEC uses the same pattern for several special factory orders (SFO). Some of the SFOs are actually made in Barlows with much longer bolsters and either one or two blades. GEC also incorporates the pattern in their Northfield line with perhaps a little better finish and often a fluted or lined bolster. It also comes as a two bladed Huckleberry Boys knife or sometimes released as a Farm Boy knife. The pattern has also been released as a Radio/Crown Lifter model with 2 "blades", a main blade and a bottle opener. Mine is bareheaded as most are, but some releases have what GEC call an end cap (EC) on the butt of the knife ... a bolster on the end.

No matter the iteration of the pattern, 1095 steel is used.

Here's a link to GEC's online store for the knife. It's available elsewhere and usually at a lower price ... http://www.greateasterncutlery...rust-bone-p-263.html

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
The top picture in my last post above is the knife right out of the GEC tube when I received it.

Examination revealed a flaw in the factory bevel. Rather than return the knife where purchased (I bought it from an ebay vendor), or return it to GEC for rework, I fixed the flaw. But I did have to reprofile the edge and in doing so, it was necessary to remove a little of the tip belly off the edge, resulting in a little flatter edge line under the point. Kinda hard to explain but a keen eye will notice the difference of the edge line between the tang and tip in the two pictures above. There is no longer as abrupt a "swoop" up to the point.

The knife is 3 1/2" and since it's a single blade, is thin and relatively light weight compared to a two blade version. It's a sturdy little jack knife and a joy to carry.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post
My Daily kitchen

Posts: 545 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: December 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today's fun

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bamaman
posted Hide Post
Emerson CQC-7 mini Smile

Posts: 500 | Location: N.E. Alabama | Registered: March 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
KA-BAR Dog's Head Coppersmith Barlow 3 3/8" closed 14-4 CrMO (154CM) HRC 58-60. Made by Canal Street Cutlery. Rootbeer brown jigged bone. Quality F/F ... rock solid Barlow. Zero blade play. 4-5 pull, no half stops and smooth. Nothing quirky at all. It's a chunky nugget.

My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Today it's my Benchmade 710 D2

Edit: whoops, image way too big and I can't fix it on the phone. Linky

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post
Lucky-13 today:

Posts: 545 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: December 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
I've got a Victorinox Swiss Army tinker model in my pocket. Never go anywheres without one, as it serves most of my purposes.

This has been my EDC for the past 25 years. I would be lost without the flathead screwdriver.

I worked on Honeywell TDC 3000 control systems and their nodes have covers that are held on with two quarter turn flathead screws.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vemon:
My Daily kitchen

I have this on my knife magnet in the kitchen as well. Great utilitarian knife. I use it instead of the "good" knives to open food packaging.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post
I have this on my knife magnet in the kitchen as well. Great utilitarian knife. I use it instead of the "good" knives to open food packaging.

--------------------------------

in my kitchen are several Smile

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Brazilian Rosewood No.6 Opinel

posted Hide Post
I think 6 and 7 are the best pocket size.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
At the 2001 Spring Hammer In up in Old Washington, Arkansas, Bill Moran embellished an Opinal handle with silver wire inlay. I watched him as he did it. It went to auction at the banquet that evening and went for an exorbitant amount, or so I thought at the time.

There was one auction that night also for a copy of the book, "The Iron Mistress". You wrote your name on a $5 bill and put it in the bucket. My $5 bill was drawn. Afterwards, I asked Bill and B. R. Hughes to sign my book. I have it still.

CW

posted Hide Post

Posts: 465 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got a cunning plan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by unarmed:

What knife is that?

Posts: 987 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: October 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

Picture of wreckdiverjosh
posted Hide Post

Change of Plans...

Posts: 268 | Location: Virginia | Registered: March 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post