SIGforum
OTFs-Microtech vs. Benchmade?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340601935/m/7370066774

December 15, 2020, 02:17 PM
straightshooter1
OTFs-Microtech vs. Benchmade?
Probably gonna buy an OTF auto, either a Microtech or Benchmade. Which model and which brand do you prefer and, please, why?

Almost pulled the trigger on a couple on that knife forum (not sure we mention the names of other forums here, so I won't), but decided to ask you folks first.

Bob
December 15, 2020, 04:02 PM
az4783054
I've had several BENCHMADE standard auto knives and had no issues, but many will not recommend them anymore because the company involvement in the destruction of some firearms a few years ago at the request of their local LE.

I've read there are fake MICROTECH OTF being sold online which would be a caveat. Cost wise, not sure(?).
December 15, 2020, 04:35 PM
straightshooter1
Yeah, I quit carrying my old Benchmade I'd had for 20+ years and went to ZT flippers after Benchmade went on the Poop List.

I went the Microtech site and the videos on counterfeits scared the heck out of me. I'd hate to pay big bucks for a Chinese fake.

Bob
December 15, 2020, 05:16 PM
cslinger
There are fakes of all the major knives out there.....and optics.....and ...... and.

So buy from a reputable dealer and you should be good to go.

Benchmade politics aside, while they have always made great knives, isn’t OTF kind of Microtech’s bread and butter so to speak? I think I would go with them for this type of knife.

Now I am not an OTF guy and know so very little about them so take what I said above strictly as generalizations.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
December 15, 2020, 05:30 PM
Ryanp225
Of the two I think there's better slice per dollar with the Benchmades. Check out Protech's Dark Angel if you want yet another OTF option. They perform more like a Halo in that they present with a precompressed spring.

http://protechknives.com/product/3202-dark-angel/
December 17, 2020, 08:25 PM
patw
I would definitely buy one from a reputable dealer, as their are horror stories out there with the fake knives. Out of the 2 you have chosen, Microtech. I debated on which knife to get and actually bought a Hogue "HK" otf and am pretty happy with it. Time will tell how good it is and how long it lasts but I like it so far.
December 17, 2020, 08:54 PM
Appliance Brad
Benchmade went all GDC.

If you qualify, Microtech has a decent first responder program. That's how I bought mine.

And take a look at Heretic Knives. Son of the owner of Microtech and they have a decent OTF model.

December 18, 2020, 11:30 AM
jhe888
I have never touched a Benchmade OTF, but Microtech's are very well made.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
December 19, 2020, 11:05 AM
Scurvy
I wouldn't buy from either as I do not like either company's business practices.

Guardian Tactical or Hogue are better options for USA made OTFs.
December 19, 2020, 12:31 PM
cslinger
What did Microtech do?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
December 19, 2020, 10:18 PM
Scurvy
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
What did Microtech do?

Besides Tony just generally being a shitty human (who the heck sues their son?!)?

They created the horrific MSAR AUG then closed up shop leaving all their customers in a lurch since there wasnt promised capatability with the real deal.

They flat out stole the design of the ZT0777, bragged about it, got served a c&d for using ZT's patented sub frame lock, then sued ZT and a friend of mine for being made fun of on the internet.

Thats the highlights at least. Marfione will never earn a dime from me.
December 21, 2020, 04:26 PM
kidcop
The Microtech Ultratech is a great starter OTF, I have several and have had zero problems. I have plenty of Benchmade autos, but no OTFs, which seem somewhat overpriced when compared to Microtech.