SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Spyderco PM3
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spyderco PM3 Login/Join 
Picture of bamaman
posted
Anyone else enjoying this knife?. Picked one up,
and I am impressed. Its now my EDC. Lightweight, and so far has done everything well.

Posts: 500 | Location: N.E. Alabama | Registered: March 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bamaman:
and I am impressed. Its now my EDC. Lightweight, and so far has done everything well.

I like mine as well and it shares time with a Delica for my EDC.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bamaman:

Which version did you get?

I have two of the orange G10 Cutlery Shoppe versions (one in plain, one with DLC coating) with the XHP steel. One has replaced my Bugout as my hiking folder. Great knife, great ergos, not too big, lightweight.

I do have the Para 3 Lightweight with the FRN scales coming in tomorrow. If it's everything I think it's going to be a huge seller. I hope they eventually come out with versions in different steels and grip colors.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the Para 3. Love the compression lock, it has been my work days EDC for about five months. When I showed my buddy my PM 2 and told him I was ordering a smaller version he wanted one also. The day they came in from Blade HQ.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Blurple PM3 here. LOVE it. Just about my perfect knife. Good size, grip, blade etc.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
The para 3 is prolly my fanorite folder in my collection. It’s perfectly sized and built for my edc needs.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do have the Para 3 Lightweight with the FRN scales coming in tomorrow. If it's everything I think it's going to be a huge seller. I hope they eventually come out with versions in different steels and grip colors

Are they shipping the lightweight? If you would, post your thoughts on it.

I think I would like a lightweight in S110v or XHP.

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
I do have the Para 3 Lightweight with the FRN scales coming in tomorrow. If it's everything I think it's going to be a huge seller. I hope they eventually come out with versions in different steels and grip colors

I will. It should arrive on Monday. There are quite a few people on the various facebook spydie pages and on BF and spyderco's forum that have already posted reviews.

The one thing I already know is that I don't like the spyderco wire clip. We'll see how this one works out.

I'd really love to see a PM2 lightweight eventually.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
quote:
quote:

I will. It should arrive on Monday. There are quite a few people on the various facebook spydie pages and on BF and spyderco's forum that have already posted reviews.

The one thing I already know is that I don't like the spyderco wire clip. We'll see how this one works out.

I'd really love to see a PM2 lightweight eventually.

I need to just send you half my pay and let you piggy back me on your orders.

Anything on a DLC coated Yojimbo 2 with jade scales? I was late on the plane blade, they went quick.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've only had it for a couple days but so far I've been pretty impressed. I've been looking for a Spyderco that could potentially usurp the Benchmade Bugout as my go-to hiking folder. This could've been it but for a couple issues.

Overall the knife is well made, super-slick action similar to my regular Para 3's and PM2s. Solid lock up, perfectly sharp edge with even grinds. No need for me to adjust the pivot. Interstingly, only one bronze washer. The other side of the tang is held directly against the FRN. No liners, other than an abbreviated one to facilitate the compression lock.

The FRN is a little more plasticky than the FRN used in other Spydies like the Delica and Endura. It's stiffer reportedly to ensure proper function of the compression lock, and has zero flex like the Bugout. However it feels more brittle. Time will tell how it holds up.

The wire deep carry clip...hmmm. Not a fan, but it works fine. The only other wire clipped knives I have are a few Dragonflys, Caly, Superhawk, and a Dodo. I like the idea but I prefer a more robust clip. Again time will tell how it holds up. The wire clip is the main reason I don't carry any of the knives I just mentioned.

Steel is CTS BD1N. I don't think I have any other knives with this steel, so I don't know much about it's robustness, edge retention, ease of sharpening, etc. Once again, time will tell.

Otherwise I kinda dig it. Not sure if an ounce and a half difference will keep me from carrying a PM2 or the G10 Para3's but I'll try to give it a fair shake.

Honestly, I just want Spyderco to make an orange one with M390 or 20CV or XHP. Then it would definitely replace the Bugout as my hiking folder.

If given a choice between the Para 3 LW and the Delica, I'd go with the Para3LW for sure. Better blafe profile, finger choil is awesome, and the compression lock is superior to the backlock.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:

Anything on a DLC coated Yojimbo 2 with jade scales? I was late on the plane blade, they went quick.

The Yo2 DLC M4 jade G10 scales came out a few weeks ago. They sold out quickly.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the observations and pictures.

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:

The Yo2 DLC M4 jade G10 scales came out a few weeks ago. They sold out quickly.

I didn't even see the DLC coated blade, I got to see a picture of the satin one, but by the time I got the email notification and logged in, they were gone.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I really like the pm3. But..... the pm2 just wont relinquish user duty. It's an extension of my hand at this point.

I carry other nicer blades when I'm "dressin up" but other then that all my jeans have molded themselves around my pm2.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Picked up a PM3 lightweight.

I really like it. I like the deep wire carry clip, it is noticeably lighter then my PM3, and the mold of the plastic (FRN) handles is more rounded then the G10 knives. It goes without saying it’s razor sharp.

The G10/full liner version most certainly feels beefier but the lightweight really adds another option for most of the same capabilities at a lighter weight and deeper carry.

The PM3 really has become one of my favorite knives ever and really is a nice sweet spot for size of both blade and handle as well as blade shape, grind, aggressive jimping etc.

As long as I don’t stab myself with this one...Frown, I’ll call this one a win for me.

I love the PM2 as well but the PM3 is just damn near perfectly sized for me.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have used the bejezzus out of this PM3 lightweight over the past weeks as part of a move. This little sumbitch is a workhorse. Boxes, rope, wire, tape, thick plastic, that thick Saran Wrap like wrapping material etc. still razor sharp, still food sharp. I have downright abused this little guy for several weeks now. Hell I have even pried a couple things open.

I feared it would be delicate compared to my blurple PM3 but boy was I wrong. It’s a great little blade.