SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Camping/Hiking knife recommendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Camping/Hiking knife recommendation Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
I go camping/hiking with the family a couple times a year. Later this summer we're headed to the northeast for 10 days. I've never taken the time to buy a decent knife to take on our treks, so this year I thought I'd buy one. I'd like to have a decent fixed blade knife that is of decent quality and won't break the bank (since I really don't get 'off grid' as often as I'd like). Let's say the budget is =<$100. Please, no $200 knives given that's just not going to work.

Here's something I found after a quick review of Knifecenter.com which seems to fit my basic requirements. Thoughts? Schrade SCHF37 Frontier

So what would you suggest?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the ESEE line of knives. They have several that are right around $100.00. I gave one as a gift to a fellow that camps and he's very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/ESEE-Co...keywords=esee+knives

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the BuckLite Max:

https://www.buckknives.com/pro...rge-knife/0679FAM01/

Only $19 for the orange one so it definitely won't break the bank. The sheath leaves something to be desired though.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
a good, old fashioned Buck 119 is also a good knife right around $60.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
ESEE 3 or Laser Strike are within your budget and will not disappoint.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
If I could only have one knife, and had $100 to spend, I'd buy a ESEE 4 and not think twice about it. Then -3 is almost as good, just a little shorter and thinner, but the -4 is as good of an all around knife as I own.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I use an ESEE 4 for just this.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
I've owned a bunch of knives and I'd suggest the esee 3 or the Becker be 15.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2242 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I have many many camping/bushcraft knives. i recently got two of the Schrade Frontier ScHF56 knives for less than 25bucks a piece. So far with light work around the yard and some batoning/light firewood prep, it has held up. I did have to put a new edge on it as it came a little dull for my liking.
The new Schrade Frontier line with the Micarta scales seem to be the best bang-for-the-buck knives....one caveat though.
These are Chinese made knives. I don't trust chinese steel enough to believe that they are heat-treated properly. There are reports of blade failure with the schrades.

For something that's going to last a lifetime and serve me well, I'll pony up a little more money and get an ESEE or Becker for a great tool that will be dependable and within your budget. If you're really on a budget I suggest looking at the Condor line of knives...not the most polished looking, but they have proven to be dependable.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
You might take a look at this thread.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6860099614

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I have to agree here. If you are looking at that price point, I really like the Esee knives. They are a good buy for the money. The knife I carry and use is one I made myself, but I have a few Esee in my collection. You really can't go wrong. I will say the one that has the most use is the one with the Blaze Orange scales. I don't have a tendency to lay it down and leave it, which I have done. That'll bum ya out on a camping trip!
Esee

Dragons Breath Knives

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bamaman
posted Hide Post
As others have stated, cant go wrong with the ESEE4, or a Falkniven F1. these are my two favorites

Posts: 500 | Location: N.E. Alabama | Registered: March 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I'd probably buy a $15 Mora stainless knife to use around camp and carry hiking and a $35 Estwing 14" Sportsman's Axe for camp hatchet-type tasks.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I'd probably buy a $15 Mora stainless knife to use around camp and carry hiking and a $35 Estwing 14" Sportsman's Axe for camp hatchet-type tasks.
That's the route I went. Mora's are great knives that don't hurt to lose and abuse, and I've never found large knives to be as satisfactory at chopping as a good hatchet or axe.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Knife wise, is this what you were suggesting? https://www.amazon.com/Morakni...C6D9THAV9G0104RW5K3T

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yes. Not heavy-duty enough to do the kind of chores a hatchet would be good for, but very sharp and lightweight. Some of the reviews on amazon are pretty informative.

If you get an orange handled one you probably won't mislay it. Wink

ETA:
There are numerous makers of leather sheaths to fit that knife on Etsy , if you aren't digging the supplied plastic scabbard.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been seconded, so I'll "third" it: get a Mora knife and a hatchet (or, better yet, small camp axe). I have a lot of good knives including ESEE's, and I love them, but I always try to avoid multi-purpose tools when I can have the individual tools themselves. That means (unless you're backpacking and weight is a strong consideration), I'd rather have a knife for "knife" chores--cutting, slicing, etc.--and a hatchet/axe for chopping, driving tent stakes, and so forth, rather than just a good, sturdy knife for everything.

There's a thread here about Mora knife (on sale at Amazon) with thoughts on them.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Anybody want to weight in on the Ontario RAT 5? Seems to get good reviews and I have a local contact through which I can get one for a very good price.

I carry a RAT2 folder daily and love it for EDC, especially considering its price point, so I'm curious what the hive thinks of its big brother.

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Of all the knives I own the BK16 has become my favorite. There is nothing wrong with an ESEE6, but I'm not a fan of a choil.
Large knives are fantastic on Youtube, but overkill for most tasks. You don't even need a giant knife to baton if you build a wedge.

If you want a cross between a Mora Companion and some of the heavier duty knives, try the Mora Bushcraft Black. It also comes in an orange stainless version.

Buy a small Silky saw, SAK Fieldmaster/Trekker, and a Mora or BK16. Those three things should give you all you need.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I use an ESEE 4. Large enough for tough tasks, still small enough to carry easily. Costs <$100 and if you break it, they replace it for free. Can't really beat that for a good hard use camp knife.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kravashera,

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post