SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Camping/Hiking knife recommendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Camping/Hiking knife recommendation Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Anybody want to weight in on the Ontario RAT 5? Seems to get good reviews and I have a local contact through which I can get one for a very good price.

I carry a RAT2 folder daily and love it for EDC, especially considering its price point, so I'm curious what the hive thinks of its big brother.

I don't know but they are $44 on Amazon right now. You convinced me to order one!

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is an all time low. Good find. Ontario makes good knives, so I don't see how you can go wrong at that price.

https://www.amazon.com/1086277...r=8-1&keywords=rat+5

FYI, most people will want to replace the factory sheath with something Kydex.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
Anybody want to weight in on the Ontario RAT 5? Seems to get good reviews and I have a local contact through which I can get one for a very good price.

I carry a RAT2 folder daily and love it for EDC, especially considering its price point, so I'm curious what the hive thinks of its big brother.

I don't know but they are $44 on Amazon right now. You convinced me to order one!
Yep, that is a great price, BUT, check the shipping time....1 to 2 months. Mad We're going on vacation (i.e. hiking) toward the end of next month and I'm concerned this thing won't show up before we leave.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep, that is a great price, BUT, check the shipping time....1 to 2 months.

Yeah I was lucky enough to order when they were still showing in stock. What price can you get from your buddy?

I will say I ordered the $90 ZT0350 deal a few months back and despite showing 1-2 month arrival time it only took about two weeks. You probably can't risk it though with your timeframe.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
They usually get things in stock before the out of stock date. You could always buy a Mora and if the Rat 5 comes you'll have a nice backup for it.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
Yep, that is a great price, BUT, check the shipping time....1 to 2 months.

Yeah I was lucky enough to order when they were still showing in stock. What price can you get from your buddy?

I will say I ordered the $90 ZT0350 deal a few months back and despite showing 1-2 month arrival time it only took about two weeks. You probably can't risk it though with your timeframe.
Ah, for that price, I went ahead and took the plunge. Now, fingers crossed it shows up on time or I'll have to buy something to tide me over.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
It's worth a shot. Are there any knife stores near you in Orlando? It would be great if you could put some of these in your hand. The ESEE4 is too small for me, but the BK16 fits great. If I could have held them both first it would have saved me some money.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
In that range, I'd pick an Esse, or a Bark River or Fallkniven if you can catch a deal or a used one. Check the classifieds at BladeForum (and the brand specific forums there), tons of knives get bought and sold regularly. Many knife nerds have serious addictions...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Mora knives are on sale on Amazon.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
It's worth a shot. Are there any knife stores near you in Orlando?

I believe there's an outfit called "Randall" there in Orlando... Wink

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
It's worth a shot. Are there any knife stores near you in Orlando?

I believe there's an outfit called "Randall" there in Orlando... Wink
I live exactly 3/4 of a mile from the Randall factory and know a number of the people there. Awesome stuff, but way too expensive to be beat up in the woods.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Well, Amazon came through and I received the RAT5 I ordered on Saturday. That was the good part. The bad part is, I'm not really very fond of it. Just doesn't feel quite right in my hand, and the sheath is cheap. Not sure if I'm going to keep it or return it.

Based on recommendations here, I went ahead and ordered a Mora Companion Heavy Duty to take with me on our upcoming vacation. Given we're just day hiking on this trip, the Mora should suffice until I can find something I like better.

Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
The White River Knives Firecraft(5" blade).

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post