SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Seeking auto knife suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking auto knife suggestions Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
As we will be able to legally possess automatic knives before long in Colorado, I’m looking for suggestions. I want 3.5" blade or (somewhat) less, partially serrated blade, usable with a clamp-type sharpening aid (à la Lansky), and fairly heavy duty for utility use.

I’m seriously considering some variety of the Benchmade 6800; any reason I shouldn’t?

Comments or other ideas?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spyder co valloton dual fire conversion by butch valloton.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
The 6800 is a good choice.
I'd also look at the recently discontinued Benchmade Serum--dual action AXIS automatic. A real sleeper, but very solid.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll also echo the Benchmade recommendations, but I'm a Benchmade fan. They have a fairly large auto portfolio to choose from as well.

They will service your auto under their warranty program no questions asked just like their regular knives. I had to take advantage of that less than a year ago. No muss, no fuss. I carry mine every day w/o issue, but it's much smaller than what you are looking for.

Microtech is the brand that gets people all worked up in that space. Never owned one as they are always out of stock and the premium they demand coupled with their designs have never floated my boat.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two micro techs, two benchmades, and a crap ton of lever locks. The one i love reaching for is the valloten dual fire.

https://youtu.be/vsIHYz4N6L8

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I have two micro techs, two benchmades, and a crap ton of lever locks. The one i love reaching for is the valloten dual fire.

https://youtu.be/vsIHYz4N6L8

DS, is there a safety on that thing? Has it ever accidentally opened on you?

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not just an auto knife. It is a dual fire. the first way you can open it with either the thumb stud as or circle hole like a normal spyderco. The second way to open it is by sliding the auto switch. Closing it is just the lock like the normal vallotten. If auto fired it resets on closing it. If opened normally there is no reset. So this allows you to lend others your knife with out them knowing it is an auto. Even those familliar with vallottons dont know the slide for the auto fire exists.

And no there is not a safety, and it has never fired with out me meaning it to.

posted Hide Post
DS, thanks for the response. The reason I asked is the first week I had mine (Benchmade Impel) it opened on me in my pocket while working with some of the boys at wrestling practice. Having an open blade in my pocket wasn't an exciting thought.

It was the first or second week that I owned it and hadn't developed the muscle memory on which way the safety stud should be. Other than that one instance I've never had an issue.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
DS, thanks for the response. The reason I asked is the first week I had mine (Benchmade Impel) it opened on me in my pocket while working with some of the boys at wrestling practice. Having an open blade in my pocket wasn't an exciting thought.

It was the first or second week that I owned it and hadn't developed the muscle memory on which way the safety stud should be. Other than that one instance I've never had an issue.

The switch for the vallotton is a bit different. It is a slide diagonally. Not a up or down, forwards or backwards motion. It is blocked on eitger side by the sub hilt bolsters. It does not move unless you manually do so.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments.

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty much liking this Spyderco...

http://www.bladehq.com/item--S...matic-Knife-3--14709

DESCRIPTION

The Autonomy was developed to meet demanding mission requirements of the U.S. Coast Guard’s rescue swimmers. The SpyderEdge rescue-style blade is the first American-made knife to be ground from H-1 steel, a nitrogen based steel that is completely immune to saltwater corrosion. Its automatic opening is powered by a coil spring nested within a unique removable shroud that allows the spring to be serviced without disassembling the entire knife.

An oversized firing button enables quick indexing by tactile sense—even while wearing gloves or suffering diminished dexterity due to cold. The button passes through both stainless steel handle liners, stabilizing it and increasing the blade’s lock strength. The button’s spring is also integral to the stainless steel liner, providing increased tension and eliminating any cavities within the handle that could retain water. The knife’s open construction allows it to be easily cleaned and dried, making it the ideal tool for waterborne rescue operations.

The Autonomy features black G-10 scales, a non-reflective black coating on the blade and all hardware and a secondary safety to prevent unintentional operation of the opening button.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: feersum dreadnaught,

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
I'm pretty much liking this Spyderco...

Hmm ... might have to consider that as a secondary even though it doesn’t meet my primary needs.
If I can find one for sale, of course (that seems to be a common lament about these knives).

Thank you.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5098 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of those, but left it in the safe. Guess I should sell it to free up funds. Preferred the Benchmade AFO in the same price range for the weight. Both fire hard and are solid knives.

quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Im gettin a LUDT.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--M...LUDT-Automatic--6171

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of different autos including benchmade, Robbie dalton, microtech and protec. For the money on a working knife, I'd choose Benchmade.
Microtech makes a premium product at a premium price. If it's a user, it will get beat up and possibly abused.
If it's a plaything to show off...the expensive ones are fine, but for utility/actual use I'd vote Benchmade. They're not cheap either but are well made and tough "users".
Be warned, if you ever need any warranty work, most makers will NOT ship autos to end users without requiring formal letters you can legally use and possess them under current Federal Law.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to get a Benchmade autonomy for a dive knife. I hope it's as rustproof as they claim!

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post