SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    A huge shoutout and praise for Sybo *AKA DBK"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A huge shoutout and praise for Sybo *AKA DBK" Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Bear with me please as I am usually not good in presenting my thoughts, I'd make a horrible youtube celerity.

I (We) am in the process of having our very own, SYBO craft the third knife I have requested. Let me start by saying I have respect for anyone who is a craftsman, or who has vast knowledge of a particular subject. Those that can do or know great things always have my upmost respect. So with that said, I hope to one day experience some of the amazing offerings from our very own DOZER, "liontribe designs", or MRW, "Sandown Forge". It's not that I am loyal to one or think less of your offerings, rather I haven't had ample time to make my way around yet. I hope you understand.

Now, lets get to it.

This request was for a highly practical, for me, knife that I could use at work. I work in SCIF's in Korea and Hawaii. Korea as a country has a 6cm blade law and NSA (whom I am most often billeted to) has a new 2.5" (from 3") personal knife rule in all their building in Hawaii. So after having to give up my go to Kershaw Leek (thin and unnoticeable while still performing required tasks), I looked for a fixed blade option.

It may seems trivial but if you've ever used a folder blade for simple everyday tasks such as opening boxes, cutting a steak for lunch, or cutting and orange or apple for a snack you know that junk and pure shit builds up in a folder. I'm okay with this and cleaned my folders everyday to rid them of sugars and normal build-up but that was okay with a 3" blade because everything else was a positive.

Move to a 2.5" folder and most often the knife becomes too small to perform normal tasks easily. It's a compromise that i wasn't willing to make. So I decided to find myself a fixed blade (anyone who has worn a modern uniform knows a lack of pockets doesn't exist). And I couldn't be more happy.

Here are some photos. Pardon the blade as it has olive oil on it Smile I’m out of work for 5 weeks for training virtually from home so it won’t get much use.

First off, the knife is exactly what I asked for and extremely well made.

Very thick and sturdy for the blade length and overall size requested.

Though not required, if desired, a full purchase can be had versus the aforementioned small folders.

Whether by accident or not, the taper on the scales (which the two knives I've received from Sybo have been 100% symmetrical, and in my estimation one of the tougher parts of knife making) is perfectly suited for my purposes. I am very appreciative of this small feature. It makes a huge difference.

I'll end by saying that the communication and conversations with Mr. Grice have led me to the conclusion that he absolutely loves what he does, and I feel fortunate to have been able to take part in his passion and am benefitting from it. Don't hesitate to do the same.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Very nice. The pattern on the scales looks like fish scales to me. Sybo turns out some fine looking knives. Smile

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Great post. Jim is a great craftsman indeed, I have a safe full of his knives. Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Thank you all, I really enjoy doing these projects for y’all ⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Congrats. He's made two for me and both are fantastic. Man has talent, no doubt about it.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Just one little nit with the OP...didn't you mean to say "Korea has a 6cm blade law?" I would think you'd have a hard time chopping kimchi with a 6mm blade!

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Just one little nit with the OP...didn't you mean to say "Korea has a 6cm blade law?" I would think you'd have a hard time chopping kimchi with a 6mm blade!

Fixed, thank you

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That looks extremely useful.

I'm digging the full grip with the short blade, making the most of the parameters you're having to work within.

As someone with big hands, I find short blades with equally short grips quite annoying.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
It really is handy Rogue, I doubt I’m telling you anything you don’t know but with 3” blade restrictions the Kershaw Leek was fine, little flimsy on the blade but cheap enough to replace once I goofed up enough. Smaller than that and it just isn’t practical. Unlike a chefs knife, in these cuts aren’t made with the knife horizontal. So when you increase the angle you consistently lose more handle length. Cause your fingers still stay vertical for the most part.

Also, that little taper towards the rear is a great stroke of craftsmanship. Like the palm swell on a pistol grip, I does need to taper towards the ring and pinky finger for a knife intended for this application.

It’s damn near perfect!