SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Almost 6.5 years later, the Holy Grail
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Almost 6.5 years later, the Holy Grail Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted
Well, one of them, anyway.

Far back in the mists of ancient time, someone posted here that Scott Cook was about to open, or had just opened, orders for his Lochsa folder for the first time in years.

I immediately followed the directions given on Mr. Cook's website and sent an email asking to purchase one of the knives.

Orders were open from some time on October 1, 2010, until 10:15 AM on October 2, 2010, and according to the mass email he sent out to all those who had sent order emails, the response was overwhelming.

I didn't receive anything further from Mr. Cook, assumed I would when my name came up on the list, and promptly forgot about it.

Well, late last year (6 years later!), something reminded me. I figured my order had somehow fallen through the cracks and been missed. I sent Mr. Cook a polite email saying, basically, that I knew it had been a long time, but was there any chance I could still go through with the order?

Mr. Cook immediately responded that he did, in fact, have my order, that he was still working through the orders from that brief period in 2010, and that there were still some people in front of me but my name should come up soon. He also confirmed the order information I had sent him. I had to provide a new mailing address - I've moved twice since I placed the order!

Well, a couple of weeks ago, an email popped up - I was at the front of the line, and could I confirm again the details of the order. I did, and a week later Mr. Cook sent a note that the knife was ready. I sent him a check (for several times the most I have ever paid for a knife before), and he sent me the knife, which arrived today, a week less than six and a half years after I ordered it.

Totally worth it. (It probably helps that I forgot about it for most of that time.)

My brand new Scott Cook Knives Lochsa, swedged S90V blade, double thumb stud, pocket clip for tip-up carry (and I AM going to carry it, it's in my pocket right now):

The blade and handle geometry is great (the handle is one solid piece of titanium, no screws - and it isn't flat, either, where the bevels are wider, the handle swells), the build quality is exceptional, and it is very, very sharp.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice-looking knife. Great blade shape.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
My Lochsas are my most prized knives. I sold one of them a couple years ago and still regret it despite having others.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Looks like he's using a different pivot screw now too. What does the other side look like?

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a beauty. My name came up after the 6.5 year wait and I got the standard version.

I think he kept the books open for 18 hours.

Are those fancy pivots?

Mitch

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome, I forgot all about being in line for one of these.

Posts: 1714 | Location: CO | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
Looks like he's using a different pivot screw now too. What does the other side look like?

quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Are those fancy pivots?

Well, I didn't order anything in particular for the pivot pin and Mr. Cook didn't say anything about it. I assume it is the standard now.

The side pictured is a polished steel dome with what looks like a shallow circular channel machined into it with a radial brushed finish in the channel.

The other side is also a polished steel dome, with what looks like the same 4-hole pattern as the diamond-motif pins. It has two hairline circular cuts that echo the channel on the other side.

I think it looks good, but I've thought of the knife as having the diamond-motif pin for so long that it will take some getting used to.

When I get the chance, I will get out a macro lens and take close-ups of both sides.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maladat,

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! I missed out on that order by about a day. Probably for the best as I had disposable income then that I don't now...

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have envied those for some time.

Very nice. The solid handles with contoured sides are great.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
As promised, some macro shots of each side of the pivot:

You can click any of the photos I've posted here to see the original stupid-resolution D800 pics.

The macro shots aren't perfectly crisp because I didn't have time to set up a tripod and lights so I did it handheld in poor light. Not bad for 1/15th second exposures with a 150mm lens, though. VR is great. (I had to take a few, some were pretty blurry.)

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Terrific job by Scott, too many makers never follow up. You got a great, good for using it.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3396 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
And a bad picture of the contouring of the one-piece handle:

posted Hide Post
On a side note- The knife did go up in price 90% since I've been waiting. Looks like it went up another $100 between me paying in Dec and now.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the close-up pics.
The new pivot looks nice, but I kinda miss the previous star shaped version.

Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Great story - congrats - beautiful knife!

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
On a side note- The knife did go up in price 90% since I've been waiting. Looks like it went up another $100 between me paying in Dec and now.

Yeah, I remember them being something like $600-700 in 2010. I was surprised when I saw the price.

Even the current price is still somewhere between 1/2 and 1/3 what a new one in hand sells for on bladeforums.

posted Hide Post
Congrats on getting the knife of your dreams! The price is breathtaking to me at $1285 without anything extra. Wow. Some of his stuff is stunning.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted

Nice blade to be sure. Still... Over a grand for a pocket knife? I used to get free folders with a full up at the local service station. Incomprehensible in my eyes. I thought I was really tossing down some coin on the last $70.00 knife I bought. The price for this one is astonishing.

Regardless... Very nice knife. If you've got it, flaunt it. Nice OP.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deputy 617:
quote:
posted

Nice blade to be sure. Still... Over a grand for a pocket knife? I used to get free folders with a full up at the local service station. Incomprehensible in my eyes. I thought I was really tossing down some coin on the last $70.00 knife I bought. The price for this one is astonishing.

Regardless... Very nice knife. If you've got it, flaunt it. Nice OP.

I completely agree that it is an absurd amount of money to spend on a knife.

In design and manufacture, it's the best pocketknife I've ever handled. It's pretty much the Platonic ideal of pocketknives. But it's the old law of diminishing returns, you pay 10x as much to get the last 10% improvement.

There isn't really any way to justify it. I wanted what is, to me, the perfect pocketknife, and I spent a crazy amount of money to get it.

I guess it's not really that different from people who collect things, or spend a bunch of money on their car, or whatever. I saved up some discretionary spending money and spent it on this rather than on another gun or something because I figured I'd enjoy it more.

posted Hide Post
You'd of been crazy Not to buy it when your name came up:

http://www.arizonacustomknives...%26ItemsPerPage%3D12