SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Spyderco Delica Lost and...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spyderco Delica Lost and... Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
I’ve been carrying my Spyderco Delica daily for about 8 or 9 years. Occasionally when I’m out in the woods I’ll stick it in a tree. Twice now I have gone home and left it out there. The first time was a couple of years ago and it was an hours drive on logging roads to retrieve it and I knew exactly where it was. The second time it was not where I thought it was and I had no idea at all where it was. I dug into my Spyderco stash and carried the Stretch until I replaced the Delica. I’ve been wanting the flat ground brown Delica for a long time but when came time to click on the buy it now button, I had to have another Foliage Green Combo Blade.

Last week while hiking in one of my favorite remote spots, something out of the ordinary caught my eye. It was my old Delica stuck in a tree right where I left it. It was there for over 2 months in a deep canyon along side a creek. It’s been thru lots of rain and snow and only had 3 minor rust spots. The red arrows point to the rust spots. The largest on the blade. It will clean up nicely. Second photo is with the new one. It’s like having an old lover back.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Why do you stick it in the trees? I understand how it feels to find the old one that was missing though.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Great story. Left handed? or just left pocket carry? I ask because I am right handed, but carry a smaller knife, like my Delica, in my left pocket, with a larger (usually) in my right pocket.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it’s just easier to stick it in a tree instead of setting it down. This one time I spaced it out and walked away. It’s habit I’m trying to break. Sticking it in trees that is. Something I’ve done for years. This place is kind of special for me as it’s obvious no other human had been up there for the last two months.

Right hand but I carry it in my left pocket. Keys are the only thing in right pocket, knife is only thing in left pocket. Still enough room to get my hand in my pocket without hardly noticing the knife is there.

---------------
Gary

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Good story.
Gotta love Spydercos.
My edc is a serrated Endura.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
Heck I misplace them in the house! That's a great story, glad you found it. I gave the exact same model Delica to my son. He won't let me touch it for fear he won't get it back.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 781 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Good story.
Gotta love Spydercos.
My edc is a serrated Endura.

I have two Endura’s. Bought the first one and won the second in a contest. Great knife. It's the full size Delica, but for me, it’s a little too big for EDC in the pocket of a pair of jeans.

---------------
Gary

Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyD:
Heck I misplace them in the house! That's a great story, glad you found it. I gave the exact same model Delica to my son. He won't let me touch it for fear he won't get it back.

I never expected to see this knife again. Wasn’t even looking at the tree it was stuck in. Caught it out of my peripheral vision. It’s a great little knife in my opinion. So much so that I couldn’t click the buy now button for the flat ground brown version that I’ve wanted ever since it came out. First Delica cost $52. This one cost $68. MSRP $114. That’s what Spyderco sells them for on their web site.

---------------
Gary

posted Hide Post
I have a very well worn one in my pocket and have for maybe 12 to 15 years.... I remove the clips and tote them in my pocket. Delica is the best knife I have ever owned. And for the record I have 2 news ones if this one wears out in another 15 years.... Good story thanks for sharing....

Posts: 787 | Registered: April 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Buy a yellow one. Easier to see in the trees. Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great knife, glad you found it. I have been carrying Enduras with the odd Delica every now and then since about 1992

Posts: 32 | Registered: August 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Speaking of Delicas, if you enjoy gambling, and have patience, Massdrop has a Delica Blue Box special. Not really a good price if you don't get anything special, but who knows? I participated in a Spyderco Native Blue Box Special, and ended up with a S110V Native.

Seen here (you have to be a free member, I believe).

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
Speaking of Delicas, if you enjoy gambling, and have patience, Massdrop has a Delica Blue Box special. Not really a good price if you don't get anything special, but who knows? I participated in a Spyderco Native Blue Box Special, and ended up with a S110V Native.

I got in on this one. Got the Delica 4 with ZDP-189

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Buy a yellow one. Easier to see in the trees. Wink

I bought a bright Orange Delica a few months ago before hunting season, basically to be in my vest or pack.
When you use it in the field or around the property it's definitely easy to spot after laying it aside.
I've lost so many knives in the leaves it's not even funny!

Posts: 3536 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:

I ended up with an Emerson Opener Delica with knicks in the blade. Not the best of luck.

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I got one of these when they first came out. It's the first knife I've ever bought that "cured" me of the urge to immediately need another knife. I've had other Delicas, but with the ZDP-189 steel that knife is perfect for almost everything.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
My Delica is VG-10. I’m horrible when it comes to sharpening knives and VG-10 is difficult for me to keep sharp. My only complaint about the Delica. I didn’t know they came in any other steel.

---------------
Gary

What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
My Delica is VG-10. I’m horrible when it comes to sharpening knives and VG-10 is difficult for me to keep sharp. My only complaint about the Delica. I didn’t know they came in any other steel.

The Delica has come in VG-10 and ZDP-189 as standard production models, and has had recent limited release of HAP40 and S30V. There is a sprint run of VTOKU steel, I’m not familiar. I believe they did Superblue a few years back as well. The Japanese made Spydercos don’t get the steel variations the Golden, Colorado models do.

Also, the Spyderco Salt 2 is basically a linerless Delica in a saber ground H1 steel (full serrated or not). Nearly impervious to rust.

H1 Salt 2 Serrated

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:
quote:

I got one of these when they first came out. It's the first knife I've ever bought that "cured" me of the urge to immediately need another knife. I've had other Delicas, but with the ZDP-189 steel that knife is perfect for almost everything.

It's my first Spyderco, I use a Sharpmaker to sharpen knives, I used the diamond rods to set a 30 degree main bevel all the way out to the ultra fine stone, micro beveled to 40 degrees with the fine and ultra fine, this knife is ridiculously sharp and holding it's edge better than any knife I've ever owned. I just got in on the SG2 Delica deal that Massdrop is doing.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post