SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    A Couple of Customs (Picture Heavy)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Couple of Customs (Picture Heavy) Login/Join 
posted
In the last few months I have acquired a couple of nice fixed blades and thought I'd share some pictures. Both are hand forged and although I actually traded for them they were very reasonably priced. Both were made to the size I wanted.

This first one was made by Charles Garner of CG Handmade Knives. I got it back in March and have been carrying it quite a bit since. I have been very pleased with it. It is 5 3/4" overall with a 2 3/4" blade and is about the perfect size for pocket carry in my opinion. The handle scales are elk antler and Charles also added a nice antler bead and leather lanyard.

CG Handmade Knives pocket fixed blade.

This next one was made by Reed Fred of R.W. Fred Knives and I got it back in May. I have also carried it quite a bit and I'm very pleased with it as well. It is about 6 1/2" overall with a 2 3/4" blade. The handle is elk antler with leather spacers and nickel guard. Reed also added some red, white and blue spacers. The handle has a slight curve and sits perfect in the palm om my hand. Reed also sent me a beautiful firesteel with matching antler handle. This knife is small enough to pocket carry but would also ride nicely on a belt. I plan to make a belt sheath for it when I get time.

R.W. Fred drop point.

Posts: 5283 | Location: GA | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Nice sheaths, too. I like small knives. What pocket do you carry them in?

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Verrry cool, I like them both!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
Very nice. Nice sheaths, too. I like small knives. What pocket do you carry them in?

Thank you! I'm right handed but have gotten in the habit of carrying my knife in my left pocket. I carry a 442 in my right pocket quite often.

quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
Verrry cool, I like them both!!

Thanks! I need to get my hands on one of your knives one of these days.

Posts: 5283 | Location: GA | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful WORKING knives. Went to a gun show many years ago and a custom knife maker from Arkansas had big display table. Probably 40 knives or so but only about 6 that were actually working knife size. I said to him I liked smaller knives and why didnt he have a better selection. His reply was...small knives work but big knives sell.
Really like those two. Congrats
Mike

Posts: 383 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The Fred drop point looks like it would be a good lil' skinner.

Any idea on a price?

Email in profile if you would rather.

Thanks for sharing.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 126911:
Beautiful WORKING knives. Went to a gun show many years ago and a custom knife maker from Arkansas had big display table. Probably 40 knives or so but only about 6 that were actually working knife size. I said to him I liked smaller knives and why didnt he have a better selection. His reply was...small knives work but big knives sell.
Really like those two. Congrats
Mike

Thanks! I like smaller fixed blades too. I have knives of all sizes but my smaller ones get carried and used more. I do have a few big ones I like as well though.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
The Fred drop point looks like it would be a good lil' skinner.

Any idea on a price?

Email in profile if you would rather.

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, it would make a nice skinner. You would need to check with Reed to be sure but he quoted me at around $125 without a sheath. Earlier this year in the May issue of Blade Magazine there was an article featuring a similar knife he made. It was 7" overall with 3" blade and was priced at $150 with sheath. It is well worth it in my opinion. Absolutely beautiful knife and handforged as well.

posted Hide Post
A little off-topic... I have admired your leather work for quite awhile, and it is the voice of experience talking; I worked in a leather shop in the seventies making lots of belts, sandals, purses, watchbands, etc. A few knife sheaths, but not many. One of the things I've noticed about your work is the very neat, clean, careful, and accurate stitching. Been wondering what you use. We had big, tall, heavy, industrial sole-stitching and straight-stitching Landis machines. Do you use something similar? Have you ever found a suitable method of hand stitching? Not as fast, of course, but effective if you weren't concerned about speed or quantity. I'd like to get back to some leather work for some of my own stuff, but won't be investing in heavy equipment. Thoughts?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
A little off-topic... I have admired your leather work for quite awhile, and it is the voice of experience talking; I worked in a leather shop in the seventies making lots of belts, sandals, purses, watchbands, etc. A few knife sheaths, but not many. One of the things I've noticed about your work is the very neat, clean, careful, and accurate stitching. Been wondering what you use. We had big, tall, heavy, industrial sole-stitching and straight-stitching Landis machines. Do you use something similar? Have you ever found a suitable method of hand stitching? Not as fast, of course, but effective if you weren't concerned about speed or quantity. I'd like to get back to some leather work for some of my own stuff, but won't be investing in heavy equipment. Thoughts?

Thanks! I did start out hand stitching but never was very good with an awl. I actually used a small drill bit to make my stitch holes and then used the saddle stitch method with heavy waxed thread. If I had to hand stitch again I would probably try to get a small press or something that I could use a leather needle with. Maybe something like a small drill press (unplugged) that I could put a leather needle in and just pull the handle to punch a hole. A leather needle or awl makes a nicer hole than a drill bit. Anyway, it wasn't too long before I decided that I needed a machine if I was going to do leather work full time. My first machine was a Tippmann Boss. It did the job and makes a pretty nice stitch but it is hand operated meaning you have to pull a handle for each stitch. Holsters and mag carriers were not that bad but belts could be a little tiring. I'm thinking I used it about a year or so when I decided to get something a little more efficient. I still have the Tippmann just in case but I currently use a Adler 205-370. I have been using it for several years now and while it was pretty pricey it has definitely been a good investment. So far it has worked really well for me.

posted Hide Post
^^^ Good info. Thanks.

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Your sheath work on those is outstanding. Love the little pocket clip on the leather.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
Your sheath work on those is outstanding. Love the little pocket clip on the leather.

Thank you!

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics. I'm going to be talking to Charles Garner about a knife in the very near future. Do your clip sheaths have a 14 week lead time?

Brett

Posts: 336 | Location: Panhandle of nebraska | Registered: September 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post