SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Randall Knife pleas tell me what I have....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Randall Knife pleas tell me what I have.... Login/Join 
Picture of onpointgun
posted
I purchased this today I think I got a pretty decent deal. I just saw that it was a Randall and picked it up. It doesn't appear to have ever been used.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Model 11 in 4"? What I'd say from the stamping from the back of the sheath.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
https://www.randallknives.com/...-11-alaskan-skinner/

Yup, I agree.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Alaska skinner, 4 inch, as said. No options - that is the standard model.

Don't store it in the sheath.

Yours is carbon steel.

How much did you pay? The catalog price is $385, but that comes with a 5 year wait. To get one from a dealer in under a year will cost you about $525. If yours is new, and, even better, has the paper wrapper, it is worth about that $525.

They are good knives, but most never see any use.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Alaska skinner, 4 inch, as said. No options - that is the standard model.

Don't store it in the sheath.

Yours is carbon steel.

How much did you pay? The catalog price is $385, but that comes with a 5 year wait. To get one from a dealer in under a year will cost you about $525. If yours is new, and, even better, has the paper wrapper, it is worth about that $525.

They are good knives, but most never see any use.

I paid $150 at an estate sale.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got one with 4 1/2" blade and stag handle. It's my one and only Randall; had it since about 1970. Like jhe said, it doesn't get much use, but I love having it.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Buy all the Randalls you find at $150.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
You got an amazing deal for $150. That's a fantastic knife and one that I'd put to hard use actually doing what it was intended. Most Randall's end up sitting in a safe and being admired. Nothing wrong with that, I've got a couple that do just so. I also have a few that I use outdoors all the time, as they were intended. There's just something about a high quality piece of equipment being put to work.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with your thoughts. My Randall doesn't get used for its intended purpose because I don't hunt and don't skin big game. But I was a teenager who wanted a Randall and I thought it was a cool knife. And so it is.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I've collect them for a number of years now. We even had a thread once about if anyone ever used theirs. I use one of mine a bunch. Its one of the steak knives (one of a set). I use it to cut steak that some folks say can be cut with a fork. To each his own. I learned early on not to cut against a china plate. It tends to roll the edge. Even the best of edges won't hold up to such abuse long. Doesn't kill the edge, just rolls it over requiring "unrolling".

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta love estate sales and at the same time it's sad the guy couldn't pass that on to a son or daughter. Heck of a deal.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post