SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    New Pro-Tech acquisition, finally
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Pro-Tech acquisition, finally Login/Join 
Picture of C-Dubs
posted
I've been trying to track down a Pro-Tech Don for well over a year. Specifically, a model 1704, carbon-fiber inlay with satin blade.

Was on 2 different notification lists for their last production run about a year ago, and by the time I got to the websites, they'd *poofed*.

Saw a Pro-Tech Instagram post showing the 1704 a couple weeks ago, and I sarcastically posted a reply to them... something to the effect that "that's why I can't find them, you have the only remaining ones in existence. "

Much to my surprise, the customer service agent replied to me, saying a new run was shipping out the first week in April.

I called my local dealer, DLT Trading, and asked if they were going to be receiving any. They couldn't give me a definite "yes"...
I replied to the Pro-Tech rep, telling them that I had called my local dealer and asked if they were going to be receiving any, and they verified that indeed they would be, but they were down the list some, behind some other places like BladeHQ and PVK.

Gotta give some props to the Pro-Tech rep. They asked me if I was 100% sure that I would be buying one if it was available, and I ensured them that I would.

They called DLT personally and made sure that at least one would be set aside for me!

Got the call on Monday from DLT, and Tuesday afternoon, I had me a brand spankin' new Don in my mitts.

Production run #8, serial # 382 is mine, all mine! Cool

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Nice collection! I really like the look of their hidden button models.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
Their hidden release models intrigued me.

The Whiskers model (2nd from top), first thing that I liked about it was the blade shape. Then I noticed it didn't have a button to fire. "Bolster release, what the heck?", I thought. Watched a video, and decided to give it a try. I like it.

The Magic 2 model (2nd from bottom), takes more getting used to, at least for me. Felt odd using the heel of my palm to fire, as my fingers keep getting in the way of the blade path. The blade on this one is huge and heavy, and feels like a ZT in my hand. It could benefit from a slightly smaller blade or blade profile to feel more wieldy imo.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
That is a great looking knife! I met the owners of Protech in Las Vegas years ago, they were great to talk to and I ended up buying at least one of their knives. Eventually sold it, like I have lots of others.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Very nice collection indeed. Are some of those the hidden handle release mechanism's? I purchased one in the past and had to find a video just to instruct how to open it Wink

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Very nice collection indeed. Are some of those the hidden handle release mechanism's? I purchased one in the past and had to find a video just to instruct how to open it Wink

Yes, 2nd from top is the Magic BR-1
Short vid on BR-1

And 2nd from bottom is the Magic 2
Short vid on the Magic 2

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
My last ProTech holdout. It has served me well.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Godson is a nice compact size and can often be found at a very friendly price.
Yours is a fine specimen.

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have the Whiskers one and it’s a super cool action. Very well built and smooth.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
quote:

The Godson is a nice compact size and can often be found at a very friendly price.
Yours is a fine specimen.

Thanks C-Dubs. I only wish I had a photograph of a one-off Custom Godson that Protech made for me. It was built with a blue titanium frame, mother of pearl scales and a mirror polished blade. It was an incredible knife. Protech told me that they had to drill the holes just right in the MOP scales because of the brittleness of MOP and they couldn't guarantee that it could be made. They did however pull it off and it was a beauty. All I have is a memory.. Frown

Regards, Will G.