SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    New home for the blades, Gerstner machinist chest.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New home for the blades, Gerstner machinist chest. Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
I have wanted one of these guys for many years. I passed on 3 or 4 over the years at gun shows. Started looking a few weeks back and just found this one, arrived today. I'm keeping it.

Built right around WW2 or a few years later. It was owned, or used anyway by three different guys over the years, from evidence found with the box and in the Machinists handbook in the fat, center drawer. Wonder what they made?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FN in MT,

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Nice! There's something special about those older chests.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I have that exact layout on a box I bought new mid-1970's. Mine too is oak. Walnut was available then, I now kinda wish I'd gone that way but everything was oak then, it seemed like a no-brainer at the time.

My 96 year old uncle has a much older one. He had taken a job in Wichita that required job seekers have one to apply. Smile

I would have questioned the age of that, it's absolutely identical to mine. But the drawer pulls are different, those are what are on my uncle's. IIRC his dates from the late 40's, maybe very early 50's.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ripley,

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Ripley,

The serial fits right in at 1947-1949 from other boxes with close serial numbers. Plus the hardware is proper for that time.

And the Machinist Handbook has a 1950 publish date as well as some other paperwork with the box, shows usage from 1950 to the late 70's.

I saw one of their 26" wide, large chests in figured walnut at a gun show a few years back. WOW! But it was also $3K.

I'd still like to find one to clean up and refinish. finding them for a reasonable price IS the issue.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
FN in MT,

Your box is exceptionally clean, great find! Besides the pulls, my hardware is identical. I got mine through Gerstner as a factory blem, I've never found what that blem is. IIRC $200 or less at the time. Eek

The bottoms of the smaller drawers were just a thin sheet metal. I cut some thickish laminate material and glued them to the bottom of the sheet metal, much more solid feeling drawers.

Uncle Rich's slightly smaller box is well worn to say the least, so yeah, beautiful in its way too. Smile

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
OMG! At $200 You did very well. They still do the 2nds and do have a big sale annually. Members of their $20 a year Owners Club, get a nice -20% discount. But unsure if one can buy a 2nd also at minus 20?

I may be wrong, but I was told the drawer bottoms are TIN or heavily coated sheet steel, with tin. As tin doesn't react to the cutting and lubricating oils the Machinists used. I should ask that question on the Gerstner Forum. Yes. I am a member there.

I know a gunsmith with two old chests, both the larger 26" models. He , like You, bought them years back and paid a sinfully low price. I passed on a really nice one maybe 5 years back at a gun show. It was $300. I still kick myself for not buying it.

FN

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

I may be wrong, but I was told the drawer bottoms are TIN or heavily coated sheet steel, with tin. As tin doesn't react to the cutting and lubricating oils the Machinists used. I should ask that question on the Gerstner Forum. Yes. I am a member there.

You're in with the in-crowd more than I, it was my understanding at the time the sheet metal bottoms served as cushioning for delicate tools, instruments if you will. Dealing well with lubricants makes sense.

The interior of the center drawer was that metal, thin and unsubstantial. I rebuilt it out of wood and laminate, cleats inside as runners/drawer retainer. If there was a factory warranty, I'm sure I killed that. Cool

Looking at what I did to the drawers now, I have no idea how I did it in the mid-70's, considering the tools I had at the time. The support plates underneath the tin are fit very well and I think I lined the bottom with that green felt, I don't think they came lined. Maybe they did, who knows? Anyway, the drawers feel and sound more solid.

I did replace the pulls for some nice quality smaller polished solid brass ones.