SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Budget ax
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budget ax Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I'm in the market for a decent low priced ax.
My father in law has a cabin where the family spends quite a bit of time. I'd like to help out with wood splitting chores. The problem is, the FIL doesn't much care about axes. I had to take it upon myself to get his sorely neglected Harbor Freight sharpened. I want something that I can:
1) use without hurting myself
And
2) gift to him and not be worried about the fact that it will spend its life leaning against a wood pile in the rain.

Obviously, this will not be a family heirloom. I just want it to work, be low maintenance, tolerant of neglect, and last a decent while.

Suggestions?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Estwing with the rubber grip

http://www.estwing.com/ao_campers_axe_long_handle.php

Though if you want to split wood, you want a maul and a couple of wedges. Or a hydraulic splitter.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned about the existence of splitting axes on Sig Forum. Had never heard of such a thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars...h/dp/B00004SD7B?th=1
Fiskars X27 splitting axe. Have seen them at Home Depot too.

This axe splits wood like a splitting maul but is easier to swing, but will also cut kindling (unlike a maul) off your split wood. You can leave it in the rain and not worry as the handle isn't wood and won't swell. The metal is soft, but that makes it easy to sharpen, so a trade off. They come in differing lengths. I have a 28 inch version. Good stuff. For big rounds, you'll still need wedges, but diamond wedges (AKA bombs) work better. Recently split some difficult Spruce that started out 19 feet around. Was a lot of work, the bombs helped a lot.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
I learned about the existence of splitting axes on Sig Forum. Had never heard of such a thing.

This axe splits wood like a splitting maul but is easier to swing, but will also cut kindling (unlike a maul) off your split wood. You can leave it in the rain and not worry as the handle isn't wood and won't swell. The metal is soft, but that makes it easy to sharpen, so a trade off. They come in differing lengths. I have a 28 inch version. Good stuff. For big rounds, you'll still need wedges, but diamond wedges (AKA bombs) work better. Recently split some difficult Spruce that started out 19 feet around. Was a lot of work, the bombs helped a lot.

I've used the splitter from Fiskars, and I just picked up a 28" chopper for myself to help clear some brush around the yard. I really like the Fiskars axes.

I'm over 6ft and the 28" feels about as short as I'd go for a utility axe. I can swing it through a 1-2" branch in one go. The 36" should work well to generate some power for splitting.

I paid $27 for it in July, it's currently $42
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you don't currently use Camelcamelcamel and you order from Amazon I'd suggest getting it. It's a price tracking add-on for Chrome (maybe other browsers, too?) that will let you set a price watch and see how the price of an item has changed on Amazon. Other than need-it-right-now items I don't order anything that isn't near a historically low price. Set a watch, keep an eye on it, pull the trigger when the price drops.

Edit: Fiskars does a maul, too
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014M9LQGG
$47.78 is the historic low on that one, it was $65 a few months ago

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighthouse Keeper
posted Hide Post
For splitting duties: http://m.northerntool.com/prod..._200621546?adv=false

I split a few cord of seasoned red oak (exploded when struck) and deadfall birch (split nicely with one swing) with one of these over Labor Day weekend. Low maintenance, stupid simple, and you won't care much if it gets some "patina" due to neglect. I was told to be aware that a shorter-handled version exists, but the one I borrowed was the 34" model.

Posts: 840 | Location: America's High-Five | Registered: December 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Fiskars.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i have an eastwing and I absolutely hate it. worst tool I have ever purchase new i believe. The thing is basically a $50 paperweight. I would pick up one at a garage sale. even a double headed axe. Chances are it will be better steel than anything you can buy new on the cheap. I would even buy just the head and then purchase a new hickory handle for it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Fiskars.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been splitting wood for 30yrs , Fiskers is the answer!

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Late to the party here, but another vote for a Fiskars.

I dropped a tree on my maul a few years back and broke the handle on it, which gave me a reason to try out their splitting axe.

I bought the 36" X27 and still have not replaced the handle on my maul. This thing outsplits any maul I've ever used, and it easily makes kindling as well.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Split enough wood with a regular axe, and realize a little technique goes a very long way. Always aim off center, and slightly twist upon impact.

Always practice safety.

Posts: 279 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I had a business as a 13-15 year old. I had a maul and a lawn mower and could travel to you.

I split a lot of wood. At the end of this a guy wanted me to split an incredible amount of wood and had a hydraulic splitter, all I had to do was run it. Never did so much work so easily and so quickly.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Fiskars Wink

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If you want something "classic" by which I mean, kind of rusty and old, you should try eBay. There are a number of very nice axe heads for sale there and all you would have to do is replace the haft.

I discovered this doing some research on an old Grove Tool Works hatchet that I have. Mine was liberated from the U.S. Navy sometime in the 1930s. Holds a great edge, nicely balanced, good steel. Slightly beat up on eBay for $29.99.

Lots of nice axes for sale there as well.

If you want new, on budget, get the Fiskars.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MBOYD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:

This. I have several Fiskars axes, Excellent designs and value. They make short hand splitters and others big enough to split anything a maul would split. Super durable and stay sharp a long time.

Posts: 684 | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post