SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Camp knives...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Camp knives... Login/Join 
The Constable
posted

I was looking for a camping/backpacking , do most everything knife. I ended up with two of them.

A friend had the Bark River which I acquired for a very reasonable fee. Ordered up a sheath, it arrived a few days ago.

Also liked another friends ESEE 3, so I ended up with the Ontario RAT 3 clone/close relative.

Carried the Ontario with me the past few days on a 15 miler up in Glacier Park, with an overnight at the Granite Park Chalet. Toughest chore was opening a few freeze dried food packs, and paring up an apple. But I like it.

Bighorn ram we saw on the way in.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s a nice looking bighorn there, I sure wouldn’t mind him on my wall. I also really like the esee 3, it’s like the Glock 19 of knives in my opinion.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Esee 3 I s great knife!!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Beautiful area, love the Big Horn Sheep. I carry similar sized knives when out and have gifted a Esee or two, all you need when hiking.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post

A herd that came down several winters ago when we had a break in the weather. They came down to feed. Taken 200 yds from where I'm typing now.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

A herd that came down several winters ago when we had a break in the weather. They came down to feed. Taken 200 yds from where I'm typing now.

How easy/hard is it to get a tag for those as a resident? I’ve hunted them in the unlimited areas north of Yellowstone which was insanely difficult 2 times now but eventually I’d really like to get an actual trophy bighorn.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
NO idea how tough a tag would be for anyone..IN or OUT of State. Never tried for sheep, goat or moose. I'm happy with deer and elk. You could contact the State F&G HQ in Helena and speak with one of the Wardens.

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Aw man I was expecting some old Kamp Kings or Camillus camp knives.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey FN, I'm not recognizing that logo on the Barkie. What model you got there?

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
It's a discontinued model. It says " Joe Luis" on the blade. Also red spacers between the tang and the scales. With a nice palm swell design.

Did a search, it's called a Santos model?