SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Removed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removed Login/Join 
Picture of dwd1985
posted
Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4454 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I have had my ultratech for more than ten years now and have only ever had problems with it opening or closing twice. In both cases it just needed some oil. You can follow what is done in this video: https://youtu.be/OtILsaCroT4 which is essentially what I did, only I used militec-1. Microtech recommends rem oil. I found the key be oiling it really well, then wiping off/draining as much of the excess oil as you can. I added oil, worked the blade a lot, wiping it off as it went, then stored it tip up for a day and tip down (over a towel) for a day. Worked the blade some more, whipped it off, and it is good to go.

I’ve found that with my knife I can tell it is in need of some compressed air and some oil if I don’t feel that sharp snap when it is opened or retracted. If it feels cushioned in any way, time for a cleaning.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Kravashera's experience is like mine. Microtechs seem sensitive to dirt and lube. Keep it clean, keep it oiled.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
The occasional cleaning as described is all that is needed every so often. As to their service program, I can't speak highly enough of it. A few years back, I found myself with two downed Caribou, but not my hunting pack with cleaning equipment. All I had was my microtech. Two caribou later, I couldn't even get the blade to close or retract if I helped push it, due to all the blood, meat, gunk up in the handle. They said send it in. It came back spotless, cleaned out, 100% working and even resharpened. That spoke volumes to me.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please be careful and no over oil it!
Microtech OTF's are sensitive to to much oil.

I forgot to add, that you can use lighter fluid to clean them out.
I over oiled my UTX-70 and I poured a little lighter fluid in, shook it around and then let dry.
Back to normal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lateck,

P220R-45-EQ, P226R-40, P229R-9-SCT, P239-357-SAS2B, P365-9-BXR3 plus some Ruger's.

Posts: 265 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Microtech’s customer service has been stellar to me. I learned that you really gotta keep the blade free of all gunk and keep it oiled. I thought it was good as I am very particular with my stuff and maintain to no end though I must have not seen some packing tape residue a time or two and that’s all it takes I guess to cause an occasional issue.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I was seriously considering a Microtech or Benchmade Infidel. It seems that reliability is an issue according to what I see in this thread. I guess I will stick to my Emersons for quick out of the pocket deployment.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie: It seems that reliability is an issue according to what I see in this thread.

I don’t have any concerns about the reliability of the deployment as long as I am on top of maintenance. A traditional folder will be more failsafe, but just like a firearm, there are moving metal parts in contact with each other that require regular lubrication. Mine has only ever failed those two times after a lot of carrying and going, probably years, without a proper cleaning. If I have no problems carrying a microtech as an edc knife, I just need to remember to clean it Wink

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
I was seriously considering a Microtech or Benchmade Infidel. It seems that reliability is an issue according to what I see in this thread. I guess I will stick to my Emersons for quick out of the pocket deployment.

I am guessing you haven’t seen the anti gun stuff benchmade has been up to. discussed elsewhere on the forum. I had an infidel gave it to my nephew. Go with MT never look back

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:

I am guessing you haven’t seen the anti gun stuff benchmade has been up to. discussed elsewhere on the forum. I had an infidel gave it to my nephew. Go with MT never look back

Oh, I have seen the discussion. Does that mean I should throw my Benchmade knives away that I have purchased over the years? Nope. Furthermore, for quickest deployment I will stick, as I stated before, with my Emerson knives.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
I love my Microtechs but an OTF will never be as reliable as a good old folder. They do require maintenance to perform properly and they are susceptible to gumming up, but I will continue to carry and use them.
In regards to the "Benchmade Anti-Gun" comments- I'm so tired of this propaganda garbage. They assisted a local Police Department to destroy firearms that were surrendered or used in violent crimes. They didn't go driving around with a bunch of Liberals confiscating everyone's guns and cutting them up.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post