SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Found two straight razors in family heirloom box
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found two straight razors in family heirloom box Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Not sure what I have, or what to do with them. I know they were used by my maternal grandfather.

I have no sentimental attachment to them. The Piedmont razor has a dried out leather case also. The dark handled razor with the sword and crown has 'non plus ultra' and 'Germany' stamped on the blade.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I wish I had some old razors like that, I just love them.........

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The one with the faux bone handle, there’s one exactly like it at a local antique store that’s been cleaned and honed. Aside from that, I’ve got nothing to add. You’re is the third I’ve seen, so they must have been common enough.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Bamboo and not bone?

I have some of my great grandfathers razors, he was a barber. I've used them a few times.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, bamboo I guess. “Bamboo” in the search query pulls up a bunch of razors with those exact same scales in a variety of brands. Most look to be German at a glance.

4MUL8R, do you plan to clean these up and maybe use them? From the pics, the edges don’t seem to be in that bad of shape. A little cleaning and honing and you can have grandpa’s hollowgrinds singing again.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I have a few old ones I still use from time to time.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Straight Razors seem to me to be one of those fascinating collectables that are interesting, beautiful and near totally impractical vs modern tools. I tried just a single edge razor and managed to slash my head I shave daily. I can't imagine how badly I'd cut myself with a straight razor.

I don't mean to rain on anyones parade, I may try my sharpening skills on a straight razor someday. Just don't ask me to actually USE one!!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It’s not that bad. Mostly, the difficulty is mental. Once you get a few passes in without murdering yourself, you start to get a feel for what to do and what not to do and it’s much less daunting.

I’ve got a heavy wedge straight I use. There’s zero flex in the edge the way you get with hollow grinds. In terms of aggression vs. forgiveness, the ratio is way off. I’ve only gotten myself once, and it was so clean it was healed in about a week with no scar.

Of course, I did work up to it with a DE, then an SE. If you can shave arm hair off with a sharp knife without killing yourself, you can survive shaving with a straight razor. Same principles apply. It just seems a whole lot more scary.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
My dad always shaved with a straight razor and warm mug suds before it was cool LOL. I only for sure, ever remember him using one like the amber celluloid one in GrumpyBiker's last pic (although that one may or may not be celluloid). Problem with celluloid is that it becomes brittle with age. Those handles weren't beefy to begin with. Although I never used one, as a young man, I kept one of dads. In all the moves and handling, the celluloid handle broke one day and I tossed it decades ago.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Would a simple polish work to clean them? Simichrome?

Would it be better for them to be shiny clean with the antique patina handles still looking old? Hard to imagine polishing something that sharp though.

-------

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.maggardrazors.com/...your-razor-restored/

A short essay here on restoration of straights by someone who knows. Since you are not nostalgic about these blades perhaps you should keep them as they are. Seems that most fees to bring a blade back to "shave-ready" are pretty modest.
My only working blade is a vintage that came to me already restored and shave ready. Mines a Genco Heavy from Geneva, NY.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the link to opinion on not restoring and value.

-------

posted Hide Post
If you're wanting them sharpened/honed, plug for a good friend. Forges straight razors, most skilled hand sharpener I know. His user name is Bluesman7 on a couple of the razor forums. Dig around you'll find very positive reviews about his work and razors.

https://bluesmanblades.com/

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a straight razor up until I went into the Army. They made me send it home.
I got out and grew a beard for 12 years and when I found my old razor in a box my parents kept for me I used it for the next 25 years.
I decided last year to grow my beard , but I use it to keep the edges clean.
There is nothing like a true shave at a good barbershop !

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post