SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    USMC Ka Bar
Page 1 2 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USMC Ka Bar Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have a Case brand and a KaBar brand. They are solid utility knives.

Posts: 207 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
While technically not a Ka bar but was certainly influenced one one I just picked up one of the new USMC bayonets.

Bought it from Coleman's surplus used for $90, it was carried often but from what I can see the blade was never used.

Posts: 7788 | Location: WPA loving the weather..missing Texas | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:
I still have this discontinued KABAR model. A great blade in D2 steel.

that thing is sweet. Thanks to you I had to buy one. I found a D2 but the blade profile is a little different.!!!

Posts: 7208 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've ordered a couple of knives the past week; one is a Mark I Ka-Bar (the internet says the USMC Ka-Bar we love today is the Mark II introduced in late 11/1942). Being a Navy vet, a Navy branded Mark II is next on the wish list.

Edited to add: My Mark I arrived today, very nice and pretty sharp out of the box. But to be honest, I think the Mark II is what I would want in my hand if the Orcs try to take Helm's Deep. Longer, fuller grip and larger hilt, sturdier blade. May get another Mark I though in a nylon sheath with the Kraton handle for a field knife, it's that nice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,

Posts: 2126 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I have had one since my USMC days and they are decent knives in a utility/camping Role, but not great. The ergos of the handle are just so so if you’re doing a lot of cutting. If you are planning to use your knife to baton firewood, there are better knives out there. The Ka Bar does not have a full tang, and I have seen one lose a handle from the beating. Also, the sharpened couple of inches of clip point blade digs into the wood you are batoning with.

I love the iconic value the knife has, and mine is more for nostalgia than for hard use.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: G-Man,

Posts: 4191 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post