SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    USMC Ka Bar
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USMC Ka Bar Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have a Case brand and a KaBar brand. They are solid utility knives.

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
While technically not a Ka bar but was certainly influenced one one I just picked up one of the new USMC bayonets.

Bought it from Coleman's surplus used for $90, it was carried often but from what I can see the blade was never used.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:
I still have this discontinued KABAR model. A great blade in D2 steel.

that thing is sweet. Thanks to you I had to buy one. I found a D2 but the blade profile is a little different.!!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've ordered a couple of knives the past week; one is a Mark I Ka-Bar (the internet says the USMC Ka-Bar we love today is the Mark II introduced in late 11/1942). Being a Navy vet, a Navy branded Mark II is next on the wish list.

Edited to add: My Mark I arrived today, very nice and pretty sharp out of the box. But to be honest, I think the Mark II is what I would want in my hand if the Orcs try to take Helm's Deep. Longer, fuller grip and larger hilt, sturdier blade. May get another Mark I though in a nylon sheath with the Kraton handle for a field knife, it's that nice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I have had one since my USMC days and they are decent knives in a utility/camping Role, but not great. The ergos of the handle are just so so if you’re doing a lot of cutting. If you are planning to use your knife to baton firewood, there are better knives out there. The Ka Bar does not have a full tang, and I have seen one lose a handle from the beating. Also, the sharpened couple of inches of clip point blade digs into the wood you are batoning with.

I love the iconic value the knife has, and mine is more for nostalgia than for hard use.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: G-Man,

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For whatever blade you’re searching for, consider DLT Trading. I get all my new knives fro DLT trading . They are competitive in price, honest, fast shipping , and great customer service .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bentonville,

Posts: 75 | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Any idea why most of your posts are shilling something, Bentonville?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess it’s because when I find a good source I like to share it with others who may be looking for something similar to what I was seeking. I didn’t think my post was way off topic to what the op posted. Maybe go back and read his entire post asking about where to purchase. Hope that clears things up for you .

Posts: 75 | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've had probably a half dozen over the years that I've abused until I needed to replace them. Hopefully I'll live long enough to go through a half dozen more. Solid, dependable knife. I've got a bunch of knives I like more, but none that I'm more willing to beat the snot out of doing "not really knife things" with. KA BAR takes abuse well and if it breaks it isn't that hard to find a replacement. Plus the nostalgia is off the charts. It's just a simple, classic design.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a commemorative KaBar for my Navy days. Cool knife. My son wanted to join the Marines since he was a kid so one Christmas I bought him the modern Marine bayonet. Ontario OKC 3S. Ended up getting one for me as well. Great knife, its better than the KaBar for anything I do, still has the USMC logo, and as a bonus fits great on any midlength AR. (unless you have an M16/M4 laying around, works on those too lol)

Posts: 7350 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
https://sport.woot.com/offers/...nt_lnd_cat_sprt_2_75

good price and free S&H if your a Amazon Prime member.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Ka Bars. Many years ago I bought one. A Camillus. Thing sat 20 years or so in a locker. Are they worth anything more then other brands? I seriously have no idea and want to let it go, but don't want to loose money on it.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Dog Head KaBar. Excellent knife. I want all the WWII utility knives. So far, I have a Cattaraugus 225Q which I had Bark River Knives restore for me. And Bark River also re-habbed a Pal RH 36 for me.
Bark River now makes a modern version of the 225Q that looks great. Next up will be the Case version of the 225Q and a WWII KaBar.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
When the AWB expired, I re-barreled my AR to get the front end evil features added back. And looking at the bayonet lug, well, better get one for the lug. I have the USMC bayonet, and a year later when I got the opportunity to excel, and was sent to Iraq, it went with me. Ended up being my 'cool guy' knife, since the pocket folder and Swiss Tool saw more use.

* Beta C-Mag was borrowed from an HM1, the rest of the M16A4 was either issue, or personal gear.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got my first one in Vietnam, back in either '65 or '66. I've had one pretty much ever since. I bought the "short" one, maybe 10 years ago, maybe more, and it has served me well. Just picked up another, a used full sized one, and it is on the way here via USPS.

There are better quality knives, but the K-Bar would work well for self-defense (I never used one on a person) and have worked for me as a fixed blade around the house, the SUV/truck and, when I had one, the boat.

The smaller pilot/air crew knife was also issued in Vietnam (I brought one home and sold it this year since I'm getting older) and it worked pretty well, too.

I suppose one could break either of them, but I have never used my knives in such a way as to do that.

Bob

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Bob,

First and foremost, Thank you for your service! And thank you for your comment and feedback. Much respect to you, Sir! I agree. I visited a few fun shops yesterday and played with some popular knives. The Gerber Strongarm and Benchmade Nimravus are two examples. The Ka-Bar may be old and not made from fancy super steel, but it's still a very capable, and of course classy knife. Maybe I'm just getting old too! Wink

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gosh, that was unexpected. Thank YOU!

Bob

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slightly off topic, but when I went to Iraq was issued the standard Army bayonet to go with my M16A4. Took it on a couple missions then took it off my kit and dropped it in the bottom of my duffle until I turned it in. Just another thing to snag and get in the way.
I figured between a pistol with five loaded mags, a rifle and ten loaded mags, and being surrounded by guys with similar load out plus belt feds, the bayonet was really just a decoration

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post