SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Re-grind spyderco blade?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-grind spyderco blade? Login/Join 
Picture of barndg00
posted
Hey knife gurus, anyone know where I might send my Spyderco Salt knife to to get the blade ground to a plain edge instead of the “Spyder Edge” that it has on it? I love the knife, size of a delica but with steel that won’t rust, even in salt water. But I’d really rather have a plain edge. Depending on the cost I could just get a new one with that if its not worth the attempt.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If you grind the serrations off, won't the blade be awfully thin? Is there a non serrated Salt? Just get one of those.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I don’t think it would be cost effective having it reprofiled versus buying a new one. You’d be losing about a quarter of the blade as well.

I’ve got a Pacific Salt and I went with the Spyder Edge, but I know they offered it in a plain edge as well.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not normally a serrated guy myself and I only have a couple knives with serrations. My Spyderco Tasman Salt is one of them. This is due primarily to the fact that their knives with H1 "steel" can and do hold an edge much better with serrations than the plain edge versions. Something to do with 'work hardening', or some such. Otherwise, H1 is not particularly well known for it's edge retention in plain edge knives. Just something to keep in mind with your decision making.

I would also say that rather than grinding the serrations off, to just go with a new knife altogether for the reasons others have already mentioned.

Spyderco has been working a bit with a different steel that has nearly the same corrosion resistance as H1, but has quite a bit better edge retention called LC 200 N. Not many of the Salt knives have this steel in them yet, but Spyderco does offer a few models with LC 200 N. It might be worth checking out if corrosion resistance is what has you looking.

Posts: 248 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post