SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Unique Kershaw Scallion is my new EDC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unique Kershaw Scallion is my new EDC Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted
I had been looking at Scallions for a while to try something different as an EDC than my Benchmade Mini-Griptilian and then happened across a model on Amazon that I had not seen on the Kershaw website or other retail sites. It is an all stainless, including the handle, frame lock model that is completely black washed both blade and handle. The photo on Amazon was of an aluminum handled and standard finish blade with a frame lock but the description intrigued me about it being black washed (unclear if just the blade or the whole thing) so I took a chance and won big IMHO. The blade is razor sharp too.

The speedsafe action is lightning fast to open with a press of the finger on the flipper once the tip lock is disengaged. The blade locks up solid with zero play in any direction. The frame lock is much less common on the Scallions as opposed to the liner locks and seems solid yet easy to work one handed to close the blade. It is only slightly smaller than my Benchmade but between the size difference and the finish, makes for a very stealthy knife that is much less attention getting than a larger, flashier, polished or more reflective lighter color blade. Even so, I find it an incredibly handsome combination of fit, finish, and function. I even like the lettering on the handle and blade, and the American flag graphic on the blade is a really nice touch too. To top it all off, it only cost $32.95! Yeah, I couldn't believe the price for it either!

Without further ado, here is my new EDC:

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!

That's very nice indeed Big Grin

Congratulations on your successful purchase Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice knife. I am pretty impressed by the Onion knives. I have a Leek and agree they are lightning fast and razor sharp. I can appreciate the lock. Nice quality for the money. I am waiting to see what Black Friday deals are coming. I need to get some more Onions.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Liking it a lot so far. It is noticeably slimmer to carry in the pocket, especially using the clip, than the Mini-Grip with a similar weight. Yet it is still large enough to use easily with my slightly smaller than average sized hands. An excellent value indeed if it holds up well.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon has Leek models as their deal of the day.

Posts: 169 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
the scallion is a nice knife, I carried one for years. Just be sure to use that little sliding lock at the end of the knife. I learned the hard way - it is very easy for the knife to open in your pocket.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1362 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bob ramberg:
it is very easy for the knife to open in your pocket.

I have a friend who had a knife open in his pocket years ago. He got cut. Thereafter we called him the gay blade.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to a bigger grippier blade like the Kershaw Blur with the side panel grippiness (I have several leaks and scallions -same opening system as the Leeks). Age and arthritis means if I ever did pull a Leek out of my pocket it would most likely wind up on the ground in short order:-)

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post