SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Just Finished A Few Carbon Fiber Knives
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just Finished A Few Carbon Fiber Knives Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
And wanted to share with you guys. They still need a few hours of finishing, but MAN, these things are slick.

For anyone interested, the process is as follows. The knives are made from 100% pre-preg, aerospace grade carbon fiber. Hand laid, cured in house in our vacuum oven, finished in house with sanding from 400 to 2000 grit, then polishing and finally a nano ceramic coating; the entire process is done 100% by us.
The handles are made of 96 individual layers that are hydraulically pressed into 12"x12" sheets, the billets are cut into the rough shape, the scales are roughed on, then the entire thing is shaped by hand into what you see here. the end result looks like it was all made from 1 piece of carbon. The entire process (including the pressing, shaping, sharpening, nano-coating, and curing takes roughly 5 days start to finish!)

anyways, I'm really proud of my guys, they work their asses off getting these cool projects done, and I wanted to share it with my "imaginary family"

This is how it starts... this, layered almost 100 times Eek

The billet, totally unfinished, unground, etc.

You can see here the 96 layers of carbon in this picture:

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool.
Defeats a metal detector Eek

How much does the one in the picture weigh? It's gotta be super light

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
That's pretty cool.
Defeats a metal detector Eek

How much does the one in the picture weigh? It's gotta be super light

They're pretty light! They'll get lighter than this as more material is coming off in finishing.

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
How well do they cut?

or are these really metal detector passing, non-TSA compliant back ups?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
very nice work. i have toyed with the idea of making some from G10 or similar several times.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
How well do they cut?

or are these really metal detector passing, non-TSA compliant back ups?

They get pretty sharp... Not Benchmade steel knife sharp, but they'll cut some stuff. They're more of a "pokey" knife than a "slashy" one

I dont know about TSA, I'd assume the body scanners would dislike them haha. They 100% do not set off metal detectors however; (it's been accidentally tested)

as for the weight, it looks like the Benchmade Nimravus (one of their fixed blade offerings with a similar blade length) is exactly twice as heavy as our knife currently sits. Pretty impressive if I do say so.

├┼┼╕
246R

Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dozer:
very nice work. i have toyed with the idea of making some from G10 or similar several times.

dozer

any reason you didn't pursue it? I like that the entire process is done here, I'm one of those nerds that watches "how it's made" and those types of shows, so seeing the entire process from unrolling the carbon material to the final sharpening is so interesting to me.

├┼┼╕
246R

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Those are Boss. Really cool design and look great.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are they for sale?

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've always liked that idea, CF takes it to the next level. I bought a glass composite knife back in 1992, "Frequent Flyer" from Mad Dog Knives. This was a new concept at the time and I believe it got the attention of law enforcement. It was sharp but really only meant for self defense.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lunchbox:
Are they for sale?

sort of. because of how time consuming they are, they're made to order. I'd like to get to a point where we are stocking them, but we're not there yet and really only selling them to current clients and friends. I went to shoot you an email to discuss further but you didn't have one listed. you're more than welcome to email me at

david (a) powerhaus - performance dot com (obviously replace the (a) with an @ and the "dot: with a ".")

Just to be clear, this wasn't a for sale thread, or even a thread to gauge interest in selling them here, I like to bounce ideas around this forum because we have so many experts in just about every field, with incredibly high standards in everything they deal with; basically, if you guys like something, it's a safe assumption the majority of people will.

quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I've always liked that idea, CF takes it to the next level. I bought a glass composite knife back in 1992, "Frequent Flyer" from Mad Dog Knives. This was a new concept at the time and I believe it got the attention of law enforcement. It was sharp but really only meant for self defense.

that's very cool! I like how sleek it is.

├┼┼╕
246R

Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
A few more variations of from the same lineup:

here is a better picture showing the layering that goes into them (with a coin for reference on thickness):

├┼┼╕
246R

Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
I really like this version. If you decided to sell one- how much?

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akaSigFreak:
I really like this version. If you decided to sell one- how much?

shoot me an email, that's one of the (maybe THE) most time consuming/expensive one in the lineup.

├┼┼╕
246R