SIGforum
My Queen Cutlery Rawhide - need advice on polishing

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340601935/m/6240099364

December 06, 2019, 06:02 PM
Micropterus
My Queen Cutlery Rawhide - need advice on polishing
My grandfather gave me this knife in the early '80s. I used it to skin my first deer. It's seen a lot. But is got wear and tear on it. I'd like to polish the fine scratches out of it. Any advice?

December 07, 2019, 03:56 AM
sybo
It can be re-furbished, but not sure ALL of the scratches out. That’s a cool looking knife. I would use a buffing wheel with GREAT care.
December 07, 2019, 10:11 AM
6guns
I'd leave it and enjoy every imperfection.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
December 25, 2019, 10:42 AM
Inusuit
I agree with 6guns. I once replaced the plastic aftermarket grips on my deceased Dad's early Colt Woodsman with "correct" checkered wood panels. Then it was not my Dad's Colt anymore. I put the plastic grips back on it.

It was your granddad's knife. Treasure it.
December 27, 2019, 01:26 AM
bald1
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I'd leave it and enjoy every imperfection.

Yup. +! Maintain the "wabi" which gives it character and a history.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
December 27, 2019, 03:14 AM
dozer
yeah, i always think that the knife has earned those scars doing honest work. let it be what it is. that is your history right there. just my two cents.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson
December 27, 2019, 02:27 PM
djpaintles
quote:
Originally posted by Inusuit:
I agree with 6guns. I once replaced the plastic aftermarket grips on my deceased Dad's early Colt Woodsman with "correct" checkered wood panels. Then it was not my Dad's Colt anymore. I put the plastic grips back on it.

It was your granddad's knife. Treasure it.

Well said.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
December 27, 2019, 02:49 PM
P220 Smudge
I agree with the other forum members. It looks good, and those marks are simply character. It's not a display piece or something that's been in a drawer somewhere, unused. If it were me, I might go after it with a bit of Flitz and a soft cotton rag, at most. But honestly, I probably wouldn't even do that.

December 31, 2019, 02:41 PM
ElKabong
I'm kind of funny with wear on knives.
If I buy one used I will try to make it look as good as possible.
But, If I put the wear on it, its like a member of the family. It only gets wiped off and sharpened.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--