SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Anyone use this contraption to sharpen or use a sharpening wheel / grinder?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use this contraption to sharpen or use a sharpening wheel / grinder? Login/Join 
SIGforum Magician
posted
My quest seems to be to find a sharpener or sharpening system that will do the following:

1) give me a great edge
2) not be too labor intensive, although I am willing to invest some time for precision
3) be relatively idiot proof as I am not the best skilled

In so much I did post in another thread inquiries about the EdgePro and WickedEdge and received valuable feedback.

Given that back round, I am also looking at this:

http://www.theedgemasters.com/..._ihakCFUHr7QodqVl_pA

I am not sure how idiot proof this is, but it seems less labor intensive from a set up standpoint and ease of use. I am wondering about how the edge from this will compare to the EdgePro or WickedEdge. Or, will I even be able to tell the difference assuming there is one.

Other considerations are things like this:

https://www.sharpeningsupplies...rmek-T4-P550C18.aspx

Although pricey, these wheel driven sharpeners seem easy to use, but my fear is that is is also easy to ruin a knife?

Thought or experiences?

TIA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Magicman_007,

Posts: 1091 | Location: Winter Park, FL | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't let any of my kitchen knives anywhere near those belt grinders. I can't comment on hunting / pocket knives, but you would be trading precision for speed.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
My goal for many years was to have the ultimate knife sharpening system. I tried many variations, but stayed away from the power driven models.

In a nut shell, I eventually purchased a good oil stone, and several grits of wet/dry sandpaper, and learned to sharpen by hand. It takes a little practice, but patience pays off.

All my knives have the "convex edge," which I find the easiest to maintain.

Whichever technique you decide to follow, make it a habit to touch up the edge routinely, as opposed to waiting until the edge can't cut paper.

Dan

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
yeah, we use a $50 1x30" belt grinder with specialty belts on our knives to create and sharpen the final edge. then finish with ceramic rods. but, we are starting with zero final edge. the grinder makes it so much faster. they do have a learning curve, though. faster means very easy to ruin an edge if you are not familiar with the technique.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magicman_007:
My quest seems to be to find a sharpener or sharpening system that will do the following:

1) give me a great edge
2) not be too labor intensive, although I am willing to invest some time for precision
3) be relatively idiot proof as I am not the best skilled

In so much I did post in another thread inquiries about the EdgePro and WickedEdge and received valuable feedback.

Given that back round, I am also looking at this:

http://www.theedgemasters.com/..._ihakCFUHr7QodqVl_pA

Thought or experiences?

TIA

Tell me if that $189 belt grinder surely is different from this $55 belt grinder from Harbor Freight. About all they may have added are the belts but surely not $130 worth. And I'm not recommending either.

But if you're looking at $189 budget, i would recommend the Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife Sharpener with the WSKTS-KO Blade Grinding Attachment.

You can practice with cheap knives first. With the Blade Grinding attachment, you set the angle then hold the blade horizontal. Just hold the blade horizontal and place it lightly against the moving belt. You don't / shouldn't press hard; just let the belt do the work.

Blacken the bevel with a sharpie and work until you see the sharpie removed all the way to the edge. Don't go to smoother belts until this is done. You sharpen your knife on the coarsest blade and the remainder is just to refine the edge.

Good luck.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Tormek T7. It is a good system, but it takes practice and regular maintenance (you need to level the stone wheel, the equipment to do so is included with the T7, I'm not sure about the T4). Buy some cheap knives to practice with and pay extra careful attention with the points of your knives. I've been able to sharpen almost every knife I own with it except for one--a single edge Microtech utx-85 with an Elmax steel blade. For some reason, I couldn't get the Tormek to form a bead on the Elmax steel.

Posts: 33 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: May 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ero:
Whichever technique you decide to follow, make it a habit to touch up the edge routinely, as opposed to waiting until the edge can't cut paper.

Dan

+1 I'd get the Ken Onion one before I got the belt sander- maybe:

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Magician
posted Hide Post
snipes - thanks for the heads up. and thanks for the comments in my other thread.

Ero - I do plan to "maintain" the edge with whichever system I get. I do not think I have the skills or patience to get good with stones like you have done.

dozer - when you mentioned "very easy to ruin an edge if I am not familiar with the technique," is exactly what I am afraid of with the belt grinders

Rey HRH & braillediver - that WSKTS-KO Blade Grinding Attachment, looks like a great way to make this more idiot proof for me. I will def look further into that.

a_tuttle - thanks for the info

Posts: 1091 | Location: Winter Park, FL | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I have an Edge Pro with Shapton glass stones. I have 8"x3" DMT diamond and Spyderco ceramic bench stones. I have the Ken Onion Worksharp with the blade grinding attachment.

I can get marginally better results from the Edge Pro or by freehanding than with the Worksharp, but the Worksharp takes a small fraction of the time the other two do and gives excellent results.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Magician
posted Hide Post
maladat - thanks for the reply. I am really interested in the Ken Onion Worksharp because of the time saving aspect. My fear is that I am going to ruin my knife(s). How difficult / steep is the learning curve so that will not happen? I have been warned on here and other articles that belt sanders, like the Ken Onion Worksharp is an easy way to mess up your knife.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dozer:
yeah, we use a $50 1x30" belt grinder with specialty belts on our knives to create and sharpen the final edge. then finish with ceramic rods. but, we are starting with zero final edge. the grinder makes it so much faster. they do have a learning curve, though. faster means very easy to ruin an edge if you are not familiar with the technique.

dozer

This is what I was going to say, but listen to the pro.

A belt grinder is a good sharpening tool. But as with any power tool, you have to know what you are doing. The "power" part means that you can screw it up beyond fixing very quickly if you don't know what you are doing.

I am like someone else. I have flat stones. It isn't as fast, and you have to learn how to do it. But I can put an edge on a knife.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post