SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Wicked Edge GO sharpener
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wicked Edge GO sharpener Login/Join 
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted
Wicked Edge has come out with a new portable sharpener. It has an extruded aluminum base that houses the sharpener arms and one set of 200/600 grit stones and a canvas(?) wrap. It is available on pre-order for mid October delivery for $150, price to be $199 after preorder.

I had been drooling over a Wicked Edge for a while now I will have one.

https://wickededgeusa.com/coll...ed-edge-go-pre-order

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I e been eyeing that as well. Only downside appears to be use of stones from the other models.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I e been eyeing that as well. Only downside appears to be use of stones from the other models.

Is there a conflict with the stones? I did not see anything in the ad that indicated that optional stones available from WE would not work with the GO. Not that it matters for my use, I do not need a mirror edge on my blade to signal airplanes Big Grin . A good shaving sharp blade would satisfy my needs. I might get the 800/1000 stone just to have it.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the "heads up". Just emailed a link to my wife as an early B-Day present.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They quite clearly state that the GO is compatible with all the other stones.

Posts: 7345 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too have wanted to try out wicked edge but the price to enter was always too high for me. I use the Apex Pro system and like it a lot. If I had to do it over though I think I would have went the Wicked Edge way. The system seems better thought out and simpler to set up.

Thanks for the link, I just got in on the pre order. If I don't like it I think it won't be hard to get most of the price back once the 199 price kicks in.

I think it is fairly idiot proof though. We shall see in Mid October.

Posts: 7345 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yall don't want a wicked edge.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I must have misread the part about other stone compatibility. It wouldn't be the first time.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like I said, I have an Apex Pro and it does very good work. It also makes a slurry on my wife's counter that she never quite appreciates. It takes more setup and I become a variable in my ability to hold the knife steady on the shelf. Some knives are easier than others to do this with. The Wicked Edge seems easier to set up and less messy. It also seems to remove the biggest problem in the Apex system, ME.

The price was always daunting and this GO seems to hit a sweet spot. It also seems to be 90 percent capable at a fraction of the cost. I don't need angle cubes and what not. I will probably invest in an 800/1000 grit and some leather strops.

This looks good enough that I actually pre ordered 2.

posted Hide Post
I have both the Wicked Edge and Apex systems as well as too many other waterstones etc. :-)

IMHO the Wicked Edge is best for pocket knives and shorter blades, the Apex is better for Chef's knives and longer blades.

The Wicked edge is faster since you can work on both sides alternately at the same time. It is also is more expensive since you have to buy stones in pairs. The Apex is better for longer blades since you can move it along the shelf, it's not as fast since you do one side at a time. One signifigant advantage to the Apex is a much larger variety of stones available. There are different sets of waterstones, diamonds etc available for the APEX. With the Wicked Edge its diamonds and strops, the waterstones for it are discontinued.

All in all BOTH are excellent systems and can put a great edge on knives. I'd focus towards one or the other based on cost and the types of knives. If you sharpen a lot of longer blades buy the APEX. If you have a lot of pocket knives and can swing the cost you might prefer the Wicked Edge.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth :-) ..........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 'GO' model is very appealing to me as well.

Will the included stone-set (200 / 600) do a 'good enough' job of getting pocket folders (Spyderco, Benchmade, etc.) and kitchen knives sharp for simple and basic daily duty, or is another set of stones (800 / 1000) recommended?

I am aware that knife sharpening is a learned 'art' and skill, and a significant investment can be made to purchase all of the desired tools and supplies, but I am not interested into stepping into that realm just yet.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Posts: 3464 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 200/600 set of stones only will leave a pretty coarse toothy edge perhaps shaving sharp perhaps not. Note that for some uses this type of edge is Preferred over a more polished one.

And FWIW if you are more interested in investing in your own Skill than tools that require less skill I would recommend you buy a 1000/6000 grit waterstone for $50 or so. It is more portable, more versatile and far less expensive than a wicked edge but does require more skill to use. Using an expensive King 1000/6000 set Murray Carter WON a serious sharpening competition. Skill is more important than expensive tools but expensive tools can compensate somewhat for lack of skills.........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing - Wicked Edge should set you up on a commission - just pre-ordered one myself.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a great system I have one of the originals for several years now.
Works great.
The only thing is on long thin knives if it supported the ends better without reclamping.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Second best sharpening system I've ever owned.

Just make sure you practice on a cheapo first. Make sure to position the blade properly or you can ruin the tip.

I also bought some 7000 sand paper and taped it to the strop and turned many knives into mirrors. It just takes elbow grease.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well shoot, you got me curious. What is the first best?

posted Hide Post
Damn, I just pre ordered one also!

quote:
posted August 19, 2017 09:04 PM
Wicked Edge has come out with a new portable sharpener. It has an extruded aluminum base that houses the sharpener arms and one set of 200/600 grit stones and a canvas(?) wrap. It is available on pre-order for mid October delivery for $150, price to be $199 after preorder.

I had been drooling over a Wicked Edge for a while now I will have one.

https://wickededgeusa.com/coll...ed-edge-go-pre-order

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
For 150 bucks, this is a nice option over getting the original WE.

If I didn't have a WE already, I'd seriously look into this version.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, at that price I bought two. I always like to try out stuff but the WE was always a little too pricey for me. I have the Apex Pro and couldn't justify them both. At this price I could. I too wonder what additional stones to get. In a perfect world I would get the 800/1000 diamonds, 1200/1600 ceramic, and the 3.5 and 5 micron strop. That is a lot of coinage though so I am open to suggestions. I occasionally mirror polish for grins but I do think the 600 finish is a little too "working edge" for me. I also am curious as to the lifespan of these diamond stones, I have always used ceramics.

non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Well shoot, you got me curious. What is the first best?

I've gone through all of the usual suspects. For ease and speed the worksharp is great, simple and anyone can use it right out of the box without any knowledge of sharpening.

The best system I've used is the tsprof. I sold my wicked edge on this forum to fund purchasing the tsprof. I use wet/dry sand paper glued to the aluminum backers much like people do with the wicked edge for a true mirror finish. But with the tsprof the surface is wider and longer and the paper has much more impact and ease of changing. It works faster then the wicked edge because of the size of stones and length of pull.

It's sturdy, has a german engineered feel to it, everything is solid. and the arm stroke length makes it better then all other clamp style sharpeners. Like the girl says in the advertising video, "it's the kalashnikov of sharpeners"

I dont sharpen knives, I make mirrors with this thing

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post