SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    New Busse - CG 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Busse - CG 13 Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
Ordered May 4, 2016, delivered today. Always nice to have a UPS box on the desk when you get to work...

OAL: 18.125"
Blade Length: 13.125"
Blade Width: Approx. 2.5"
Thickness: Approx .220"
Steel: INFI
Hardness: 58-60 Rc
Grind: Flat Saber
Finish: Coated
Handle: Only Available With Tan Resiprene C

Need to get home to see how it does, but it feels very good in the hand, nicely balanced.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Now that's a knife mate.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
One day I'll have a Busse.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I've given up on Busse. I ordered a Mini-Muk from them last April, still haven't gotten it. I'm willing to wait like that for a custom blade, but when it takes a year for a shop like Busse to get a knife shipped, there's something wrong.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
posted Hide Post
It is second one I ordered during the Busse frenzy of late 2015/2016. If you were not infected, they basically were releasing blades, and allowing limited orders, thusly building up a backlog of orders to work through for the next 9 months.

I got a Steel Heart Ergo too - 7 1/2" blade. 1/4" of INFI makes it more like a sharpened prybar.

The CG13 is better balanced, and more useful - next time I need to hack through a zombie jungle. Either way, there are likely my only Busses in the collection, but I wanted to see what the hype was all about. I'm much more likely to get more Bark Rivers, as they are in stock and ship the day after I order them...

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have one - a little one with a 3.5" blade. It is well made. The handle feels great, and INFI seems to sharpen up nicely and stay sharp.

But the steel is FAR too think. I think mine is close to .20 thick, which is far too heavy for a small knife. It makes them too heavy, and they don't cut as well as they should because they are so thick. Consider their "Boney" models, which have thinner blades.

The OP's knife would be a great chopper, no doubt. Most people have no use for a knife that big.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

The OP's knife would be a great chopper, no doubt. Most people have no use for a knife that big.

Wait, what? You mean I am supposed to have "a use" for all the guns, knives and other stuff I buy? Do not talk to my wife, please.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:

Wait, what? You mean I am supposed to have "a use" for all the guns, knives and other stuff I buy? Do not talk to my wife, please.

I know. I have a .45-70 despite having no buffalo hunts planned. Wink

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:

I know. I have a .45-70 despite having no buffalo hunts planned. Wink
Well, when one wanders onto your ranch, you're prepared!

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of older Busse's. I love them. The older ones had what they referred to as an asymmetrical edge. Convex on one side and V grind on the other. Worked well and had the added benefit of thinning the edge somewhat making a better cutter. The newer ones start too thick and end up with really thick edges which make for horrible cutting. If you can manage a belt sander without ruining the temper you can thin it out enough to make it much better in the cutting department. For that reason though most of my Busses's are of the thinner stock. You still have a knife that will outlast you but it can also take an edge that will actually work to cut stuff not just bludgeon it to death. lol

There was this guy named Ban (has his own knife line now) who started his reputation by taking Busse knives and regrinding them into wicked, tough blades. One of my favorites has been worked over by him. It is hell for tough and wicked sharp good cutter. Unfortunately my wife stole it for camp kitchen duty.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Ban would be Ban Tang, he makes some seriously sweet knives.
http://bantangknives.com/wordpress/

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post