SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Do you carry two knives?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you carry two knives? Login/Join 
posted
So, for several years I had carried a Kershaw Grid (Model 2200) primarily for self-defense while in the office (firearms are forbidden at work) and around town but it has also pulled double duty as a general utility knife (I work in IT). For Christmas this year my wife gave me a Benchmade Vallation (Model 407SBK) and I happily retired my trusty Grid for the Benchmade.

However, about two weeks ago in a moment of carelessness I used the Vallation to slice through some plastic and managed to also slice through my thumb with the surprisingly sharp knife. After about an hour of bleeding like a stuck pig I finally surrendered to the inevitable and went to the ER to have them super glue the inch long slice shut.

While mentioning this to some friends later that night and showing off the thumb I commented on my surprise at how easily it had opened me up (the Grid probably wouldn’t have made such a mess) and a friend commented that he also carried a Benchmade but only for self-defense and not for general utility purposes and, instead, relied on either his multi-tool or a second knife for day-to-day activities. Since then I have been considering a second knife and I was curious if anyone else carried two and, if they did, how they carried both knives. My Leatherman Wave does have a blade but usually by the time I realize I need it my left hand is already holding whatever needs cutting which makes getting to the Wave awkward.

Carrying a second knife has the added benefit of not scaring the muggles when I need a knife by flipping open the Vallation.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
I have three on me right now, technically:

Spyderco's Resilience folder is today's EDC, a Leatherman Sidekick (has a locking folder), and a Victornox Swiss Army Spartan.

I have a fourth nearby - A Leatherman Crater in my messenger bag, and few? in my truck.

Jeez. I might have a problem... Smile

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never known anyone to have 2 knives on them all the time. I have 2 in my desk, both Swiss Army knives. One gets used for lunch on tough steak and the other has the scissors for clipping toenails and such. Most times I have a Kershaw Blur on me as well for self defense and opening boxes in the warehouse, but not today.

I had a buddy who never left home without 2 guns, in fact, when he woke up in the am and got dressed both were part of his clothing ensemble. He started that routine after he'd had been the victim of a home invasion robbery and been shot in the neck and survived.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
I've never known anyone to have 2 knives on them all the time.

Any given day, I do. One for work, one for everything else and self defense if necessary. In fact if you count the Leatherman, it's 3.

When I'm not in work clothes, I have a minimum of one knife.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
It’s not uncommon for me to carry at least 2. I have carried 3 at times. I always have carried a pocket knife, generally something I don’t mind loosing or getting damaged. Currently that’s a SOG flip open 3” on a pocket clip. I’m also carrying a Walter Sorrels Agent fixed blade 2.5” for self defense in a IWB sheath. When I worked outside for the phone company, I always carried a splicer’s sheath knife and a pair of Klein electricians snips.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I frequently carry a SAK along with a heavier lock blade knife to use for more arduous tasks.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
One for utility purposes; one for when I want one that's kept nice and sharp and undamaged.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Yes. Smaller in left. More robust in the right.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my every day cart microtech in my pocket a boker street scalpel and mini leather man in my briefcase, then about 3 more in the car. Also in the car is a buck folding saw and sog tomahawk

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not uncommon for me. I always have a very small knife in my left front pocket with my small flashlight. The knife there is usually my Spyderco Butterfly. Surprisingly useful little knife. Sometimes it's a small SAK. In the carpenters'/painters' pants I usually work in, I'll carry a utility/box cutter knife in the right side ruler pocket. Not in work pants, I might still have a second, larger folder as well as the little guy previously mentioned. And if I'm in my car, there are two or three more, readily available. I like knives.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Always two. Work days and some weekends three. Occasionally more.

Winter time "Pocket dump" photo last year reveled 5 knives and 3 flashlights (which surprised even me) lol

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I carry just one, but it's a ZERO TOLERANCE 303 so it's really 1 1/2.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I do so often. A largish folder clipped to my pocket and a small Case trapper. The Case is non threatening looking, especially when using the small blade, and is unbelievably sharp. The larger folder is there for when a task requires speed of deployment or ruggedness.

When I'm camping or otherwise involved in outdoor activities I will add a small to medium sized fixed blade instead of the trapper.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I do so often. A largish folder clipped to my pocket and a small Case trapper. The Case is non threatening looking, especially when using the small blade, and is unbelievably sharp. The larger folder is there for when a task requires speed of deployment or ruggedness.

When I'm camping or otherwise involved in outdoor activities I will add a small to medium sized fixed blade instead of the trapper.

This....

I carry a flipper folder of some sort at all times, and I have a Case single blade trapper style (Harley Davidson Wharnecliff) in my pocket. I suppose I carry three, if you count the tiny blade on my Leatherman micra...

Posts: 9 | Registered: December 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sometimes.

When I'm working, I carry a nicer Benchmade pocket knife for personal use and more delicate tasks, as well as a beater Kershaw pocket knife for rougher cutting/scraping/prying. (I don't feel so bad when it's a $20 Kershaw that gets abused or broken, plus I can hand it off to other guys without worrying about them fucking it up.)

But when I'm off duty, I just carry one of my nicer Benchmades.

And when I'm backpacking or hunting, I'll usually have both a pocket knife as well as a fixed blade outdoors knife like a Mora or ESEE.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I don't feel so bad when it's a $20 Kershaw that gets abused or broken, plus I can hand it off to other guys without worrying about them fucking it up.

When I first read the thread topic I thought for a moment, "Carry two knives? Who carries two?"

And then I realized after reading your post... "I do that!" At work, I'm carrying two: my usual Spyderco or Benchmade, plus an inexpensive knockoff that rides around in my jacket pocket for the "beater work."

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always have my daily carry knife (Stretch, 940, Sage, Caly 3.5, etc.) plus there's a blade on the Leatherman on my keyring for the office, although I'm not sure anyone would freak out where I work.

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I carry 4 just about all the time. Usually a BM 940 and Alox in the left pocket and Sebenza and Leatherman Squirt in the right. Overkill I’m sure but I like to have multiple opinions for the task at hand.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always 2 for the last 25-30 years. Often more depending on task at hand , work situation , etc.

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:

This is pretty much what I do as well. I also tend to have a random multi tool of some kind nearby.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post