SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Kershaw Leek
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kershaw Leek Login/Join 
easy money
posted
Hello!

I dig sharp things - usually buy Spyderco - but the Kershaw Leek has caught my eye. I've drooled over them all over the Internet ... never handled one in real life. I'd like to hear from those who have owned or do own this model - pros & cons please!

Thank you,

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
I have a couple and find them very useful and easy to carry. I do not like the safety, but it is easily removed. Had an issue with the pocket clip bending, great customer service. They are the right size for me, for daily carry. They take and hold a good edge. Great value for the money.

Posts: 391 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Nice knife, mine came very sharp. The lock, as mentioned takes a little bit to get used to, or remove it. The tip is very pointy, so no prying with it!

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
love mine and can't go wrong for the price

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lost my Leek with G10 and S30V blade. I still have not found it!

Damn, they don't make it anymore.

I had to fall back to a plain Leek. Good but not as nice as the lost Leek.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blueshep
posted Hide Post
Bought one at the Finn Feather and Fur last week, On sale for 32.00 till December 2017. Great EDC knife as it is light and very sharp.

----------------------------------------
NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 1467 | Location: Northeast,Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
The Leek is a great knife. Very thin in your pocket and work well for EDC if you like a thiner profile blade.

Kershaw as a company is great to deal with. I have a dozen or so of their knives and every once in awhile I send them in for factory sharpening and a check out. Recently I sent them 6 knives and they replaced 4 under warranty for not having a tight lock up. The 5th knife they replaced the blade free of charge for reasons unknown. These knives were all over 5 years old and were used hard.

Very nice knives for the money.

Top Gun Supply has a Olive Handle/Black Blade Leek on sale right now for $30

https://www.topgunsupply.com/k...ive-black-knife.html

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Leek for a little while. It was my first assisted-opening knife. I didn't care for the assisted-opening feature, it always made me feel a little uneasy with it in my pocket unless the safety was on, and I didn't care for the safety. I ended up selling it and sticking with my Delicas.

But lots of people like them. If you can't handle one, you may just have to buy one and see for yourself. Worst case scenario, you sell it and maybe lose a few dollars in the process if you don't like it.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
easy money
posted Hide Post
Hello!

Thanks for all the input - greatly appreciated!

I usually get my knives with blades that are half plain and half serrated. I've read that the Leek serrations are unlike any other, making them difficult to sharpen. How are they sharpened?

Thank you again,

Jim

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
easy money
posted Hide Post
Sigarms229,

I followed the link you posted and ordered two of that knife. Thanks for the link & savings!

Jim

posted Hide Post
My EDC, have several and love them

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
I have carried a leek in my pocket every day for over 7 years. I prefer the frame lock over the liner lock models but ymmv. In my experience the liner locks will grit up in the pocket much faster than the frame locks. I lost my favorite leek for almost a year. Happy day when I opened a pocket on some winter work coveralls and found it again. I've used my leeks to open boxes, cut sausage, cut a steak dinner, and gut a deer. The only thing they aren't good for is any prying pressure at the tip, it's just to thin for that. I've got a work knife that I reprofiled the blade just a bit.

My favorite is the KER1660CKTSO.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
I carry a Leek with serrated edge for EDC. I love it. I have been through 3 of them, as I have lost the previous two. Only issue I have had has been with my current one: the liner lock broke a few times, and I had to send it in for repair. Happened three times, no idea why. My other Leeks didn't have any issues.

ETA: Wow...just now, my safety broke again. Weird timing. But also very, very frustrating. I hate sending in things for repair, especially 3 times...

I’m not sure that lock serves a real purpose. Of all my knives from assisted to auto I’ve never had one come open in my pocket.

Just get a torx set and and ask Kershaw to send you the part next time it does. I’ve had 2 torsion bars break in different Kershaws and both times I emailed them asking for a new bar and the next question has always been “what your mailing address?”.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rmc85:
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
I carry a Leek with serrated edge for EDC. I love it. I have been through 3 of them, as I have lost the previous two. Only issue I have had has been with my current one: the liner lock broke a few times, and I had to send it in for repair. Happened three times, no idea why. My other Leeks didn't have any issues.

ETA: Wow...just now, my safety broke again. Weird timing. But also very, very frustrating. I hate sending in things for repair, especially 3 times...

I’m not sure that lock serves a real purpose. Of all my knives from assisted to auto I’ve never had one come open in my pocket.

Just get a torx set and and ask Kershaw to send you the part next time it does. I’ve had 2 torsion bars break in different Kershaws and both times I emailed them asking for a new bar and the next question has always been “what your mailing address?”.

I've had the knife open in my pocket once on its own. I carry clipped to the pocket, blade tip up. Trust me, you don't want it to happen. My luck was when I was starting to kneel down. Luckily it was only a small poke, but it is in an area that makes you respect the safety.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I love mine. It is my "city carry" when I'm not carrying my Blur.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great little “discreet” knife. I have mine with me when I don’t carry my Esee 3 or Endura Wave.

Posts: 56 | Location: Alabaster, Alabama | Registered: January 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Leek is a little small for my tastes.

You might want to look into the Kershaw Dividend, Link or Knockout. All American made.

If you want to spend a little bit more, the ZT0450 is a amazing little lightweight knife.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Buy two, they're small.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like them, just don't try prying anything with that thin blade. You'll see a lot of used leaks with the tip broken off or bent.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post