SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    I’m not super impressed with the Emerson commander.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m not super impressed with the Emerson commander. Login/Join 
posted
A few weeks ago, I finally bit the bullet and got an Emerson CQC7B and fell in love with it instantly, feels great in my hand, love the blade etc etc.

I figured if the standard 7b was so awesome one of the flashier models must be even better so I ordered the commander with serrations and a stone washed blade (and an NSAR). I was pretty excited to get the commander but it just doesn’t feel great in my hand, something about the blade shape, and it’s just too big and aggressive for an EDC. I’m wondering if I’d been happier with an a100 or a CQC8 or 15 or something.

It’s definetly a nice knife but I havnt ended up using it for anything other than playing with while I sit in my chair because it just seems like such overkill for anything I’d do....I guess I knew it would be going into it.

It’s strange, I wanted this knife for about 3 years when I think about it, I was still living in china when I learned about Emerson stuff and the commander was something I often desired over the years, now that I have one, I’m not disappointed I’m just sort of underwhelmed and since I do t plan on getting in a knife fight I’m not sure I need it.

Has anybody felt disappointed by an overkill Emerson or something like that? Maybe a blade you wanted for a long time and finally bought? With this knife, the quality is there, it’s beautiful I just don’t see it getting used as much as my 7b.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
At one point I had several Emersons. I carried a CQC-7 for a while. A100 was a nice knife, but definitely a lot blockier/bulkier than I was hoping for from how svelte it looks. Plus it was the least lefty friendly knife they make.

The only one I have left is an Mini Commander. There's nothing Mini about it, it's only marginally smaller than the 7. The Micro Commander was too small, the blade geometry and size just weren't a good combination in my opinion.

For me the M-COM is the way to go if you're a fan of the Commander shape and want to carry one.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I’d gotten an a100 or a
Cqc8 rather than the commander.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I think at times, we seek what we believe to be an ideal design, or model. The Commander was special 20 years ago. I sold both of mine.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a few Emersons, and my favorite was the Mini-Commander. I've also had the Mini-CQC7BW (I think that's what it was called) and the SOCFK.

FWIW, I ended up selling them and now use Spyderco Delicas pretty much exclusively.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I think the Mini Commander is just right. I need to carry it more but the Spyderco gets the nod most days.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have one Emerson. I forget the model. It is big, a little clunky, and not very refined. It is tough. It was expensive. I haven't bought another. .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have a couple Emerson’s and they are tanks though they are so rough textured that they shred my pants and then I don’t wanna carry ‘em.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I have a couple Emerson’s and they are tanks though they are so rough textured that they shred my pants and then I don’t wanna carry ‘em.

They are tanks, that’s one thing I love about them, the grips/scales whatever you want to call them can easily be smoothed out so they don’t destroy your clothes. For my the commander just dosent feel great in my hands, that’s all.

posted Hide Post
In 2014 I bought the "Emerson Mini-CQC-7 Folding Tactical Knife 2.9" Serrated Tanto 154 CM Black Stainless Steel Blade G-10 Handle Black". Not impressed at all, mostly because it was too tight to easily flip open - it's been in the box since I bought it.

Have a Kershaw Blur on me today. Great knife.

Posts: 1916 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
In 2014 I bought the "Emerson Mini-CQC-7 Folding Tactical Knife 2.9" Serrated Tanto 154 CM Black Stainless Steel Blade G-10 Handle Black". Not impressed at all, mostly because it was too tight to easily flip open - it's been in the box since I bought it.

Have a Kershaw Blur on me today. Great knife.

FWIW, unless your Emerson is lacking the wave on the blade, it's best opened by design rather than by trying to "flip" it open.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The commander and mini-commanders are my favorite of the Emerson line.

I have a reground blade on a CQC-15 that I like; the profile is similar to a commander now with the tanto edge smoothed out.

I own a number of Emersons, and have beaten them to death in field use, with no problems. My favorite of all of them was a mini-commander with a convex grind that got stolen in Mosul.

I frequently carry a Gentleman Jim these days.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The commander and mini-commanders are my favorite of the Emerson line.

I have a reground blade on a CQC-15 that I like; the profile is similar to a commander now with the tanto edge smoothed out.

I own a number of Emersons, and have beaten them to death in field use, with no problems. My favorite of all of them was a mini-commander with a convex grind that got stolen in Mosul.

I frequently carry a Gentleman Jim these days.

So after smoothing down the g10 so it dosent destroy my pants, I committed to carrying the commander for a few weeks to see ignorance it grows on me. I’m 6’4 and don’t wear tight clothes so I have no issues with the size of the knife and since I work in an environment where guns are a no-go but knives are permitted for staff, I sort of like the idea of having a “full size” knife available.

I’m starting to like it more and more, the grip in my hand still dosent fee awesome though.

Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I have a full size Commander that I bought from someone on the forum here years ago. It is still my EDC, and I use it all the time. I sent it to Seattle Edge to reprofile the tip and give it a good sharpen after an unfortunate drop (also broke the "wave", but I can still open it as intended).

It's beat up, and not very sexy, but gets the job done every time.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Emerson knives:

I carried the green Mini CQC7 for over a decade. It was my first expensive (over $100.00) knife. Built like a tank. I no longer carry it, but it holds a special place in my collection.

I painted the scales on the mini A100. As tough as the mini CQC7 is, the mini A100 is even built a little better. The lock is a little more substantial and the blade feels a little more stout.

It has been years since I have purchased an Emerson knife, but I visit their website from time to time, to see what is new.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
I have 2 Emerson knives:

I carried the green Mini CQC7 for over a decade. It was my first expensive (over $100.00) knife. Built like a tank. I no longer carry it, but it holds a special place in my collection.

I painted the scales on the mini A100. As tough as the mini CQC7 is, the mini A100 is even built a little better. The lock is a little more substantial and the blade feels a little more stout.

It has been years since I have purchased an Emerson knife, but I visit their website from time to time, to see what is new.

I like the a100, am NSAR is my newest addition to the Emerson stable.

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I have one Emerson, I mini CQC7.

I've always wondered why they always have the grind for left handed users.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
I have one Emerson, I mini CQC7.

I've always wondered why they always have the grind for left handed users.

I saw an interview with Ernest Emerson awhile back and while I forget the details I think whatbit came down to is that in his opinion, for what his knives are really designed to be (extremely hard use tactical tools), it just dosent matter. It’s not like they are designed for whittling or skimming animals.

That being said, there are some with more standard grinds.

posted Hide Post
I bought a Mach-1 many years ago and still have it. A few years back, I saw a great deal on a mini-commander and upgraded. The mini is a great knife and I think the blade and handle size are perfect for an EDC. I can see the Commander being a bit too big.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
FWIW, unless your Emerson is lacking the wave on the blade, it's best opened by design rather than by trying to "flip" it open.

Thank you, it does have the wave...must have been me as I tried the pull it out so it flips thing and it wasn't consistant for me. I can pull a Blur out with either hand and without thinking have it snapped open with a quick flick. I might git it another try and practice with the Emerson a bit. Folks that have them generally love them.

Posts: 1916 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post