SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Knife Choices 2 1/2 Inches or Less
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knife Choices 2 1/2 Inches or Less Login/Join 
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted
Pocket knives at work are limited to 2 1/2 inch maximum blade length. I’m looking at the Spyderco Dragonfly 2. Any others you can recommend. My budget is up to $100.

Posts: 597 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kershaw Launch 4

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Spyderco Lil’ Native

My bad the Lil Native is a hair over your price. Good little knife though. I thought it was cheaper but it’s 117.00

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may not be the approach you were looking for, but this is what I did.

I bought a Spyderco Delica, since they're my favorite pocket knives. I then sent it to Northern Knives and had them reprofile it to a Wharncliffe pattern, which shortened the blade to just under 2.5". It was a quick turnaround, less than 2 weeks. The work was $25+shipping. You could buy a used Delica, send it in, and be well under your $100 limit. If you shop around, you could probably get a new Delica and have it modified for close to your $100 budget. If you happen to have a Delica, well, that'd be even cheaper.

Here's a pic of the result (I was very pleased, FYI)...

And here's a link to the order page for this option (FYI, that's my knife on the web page...I think it's actually a better picture than mine)...

https://www.northernknives.com...ification-p128903745

The really nice thing I like about it is that it's a short blade, but with a full-size handle. Plus, I think the Wharncliffe profile adds a bit of strength to the point. I like it so much I'm seriously considering sending in my other Delicas.

FYI, I was originally going to get the Kahr/Delica 2.5" model, but they've been discontinued. I checked online sources, and buying a regular Delica and having it modified was noticeably cheaper than the prices I was finding for the Kahr, typically around $140-150 last time I checked.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
CRKT Pilar: 2.4". Stout & sturdy. Love mine.

https://www.crkt.com/pilar.html

Have a Dragonfly 2 Salt. It's also a great choice.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Spyderco Chicago G10.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Spyderco Lil’ Native

My bad the Lil Native is a hair over your price. Good little knife though. I thought it was cheaper but it’s 117.00

If the OP can find one for his $100 limit, I totally agree on this.
I picked one up about a month ago, also for carry at work, and love it!
Have grown quite fond of their compression lock, and can appreciate it's much safer design versus a liner lock.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post
Several good recommendations to consider. I’m intrigued by the Spyderco Chicago, however, I guess I don’t want to give up the additional 1/2 inch I’m allowed. I think I’m leaning now toward the lil’ Native right now. Although the Dragonfly salt is a close 2nd. Also if I go with the lil native, I really like the black blade. Does this finish scratch bad?

Posts: 597 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I had the same requirement a year ago, when I was travelling to Europe. The country in which I'd be staying has a 3" limit, and I wanted to stay well under that. I also wanted something that, if it was confiscated for any reason, or stolen out of my checked luggage, wouldn't make me cry.

I ended-up selecting a Spyderco CAT G-10 Black. Street price is around $50.

One of my brothers-in-law was so impressed with it he embarked on a search to buy one for himself. I heard about that and gifted it do him when we left. He regularly tells my wife how much he loves that knife Smile. I liked it so much I bought myself another when I got home.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Dragon Fly II. Works like a bigger knife to me. Someday I hope to find my original dragonfly in my crawlspace where it's been lost for two years. Razz

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really gotta say; I LOVE my G-10 Dragonfly II. It really is one of my favorite knives. Fantastic design, and very certainly works like a bigger knife. For what it's worth, I wear an XL size glove and I love the way the dragonfly feels in my hand. It is nearly a perfect 'small' knife.

Posts: 248 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Dragonfly is about my favorite small knife.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I vote Dragonfly 2. Great knife. The wharncliffe version is on my short list.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post