SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Cold Steel Outdoorsman!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cold Steel Outdoorsman! Login/Join 
Member!
posted
Merry X-mas to myself! a knife I've been wanting for a long while. Have always loved Cold Steels Tanto lineup except for one thing, the damn Americanised Tanto point. I just don't like two seperate edge planes. That being said, they do have a similar knife that is more traditional in edge curvature but is still a Tanto, the Outdoorsman! The only reason I haven't got it sooner was that in the past it tended to hover around $140ish dollars or more and in all honesty, I don't need another fixed blade knife. Well I found it on Amazon for $100 and figured I can afford to get it even if I don't use it.

Obligatory Intro Photo with my Sig P245!

No you don't get the pointy "Skull Crusher" pommel of the Regular Tanto version, but so what, I like more-rounded pommels better, and you do get a "Bone Chopper" on the back of the blade that while it it usefulness is debateable, it does change the weight balance of the knife to what I like better, and who knows, maybe one day I will actually need to break some bones..

This knife is San Mai VG10. The earliest models were 440C or AUS8, then they went to San Mai 3 which was VG1 laminate. The current ones are VG10 laminate inner steel with 420SS outer layer. I do like VG10. Have some Japanese Kitchen knives with VG10 and I'm very happy. I haven't tried to cut through Oak trees yet, but other reviewers online say Cold Steel's version holds it edge well. While not as cool as the wavy hamon of a differentially heat treated knife, it's still kinda neat to see the defining line that seperates the different steels.

The earlier models were made in Japan, the currrent ones are made in Taiwan. Whether it's made any better or worse now, I can't say. I'm happy with mine's apparent construction. I see no apparent flaws. Earlier version also came with a leather sheath while the current version comes with a plastic sheath. I like the plastic sheath better. It's also has a left side convertable belt strap you can change around by simply taking out a couple of screws and moving to other side. It seems to hold the knife quite well and snug as even without using the snap strap, upside down shaking of the sheath does not let the knife fall out (or even move) while a gentle push against the sheath's thumb ramp and the knife still extracts easily. No rattles to be had!

The back of the blade has some pseudo file-work/jimping for a thumb area and the "Bone Breaker" area. This acute angled section is supposedly to chop through thick bones without beating up the primary edge. Online outdoor/survivalist reviews says it works good for chopping through hard wire. You can still supposedly baton with the knife, but you need to be a bit more careful where you hit the spine as the bone breaker area will chew up the baton. I own a chainsaw and axe, so batoning is for someone else to do! :-) While I doubt I will ever use this area, I can say that with the material removed, it lightens the blade and changes the balance point over the regular Tanto model without the material removal. The pommel and guard are made of stainless steel and the handle is Kraton Rubber and very comfortable.

Here it is next to my custom Camillus Becker BK7 Combat Utility Knife I extensively modified (elongated and lowered thumb ramp, lengthened false edge, finger Choil, G10 grip panels, rounded butt, polished and then blued). While I like my BK7, it's a bit bigger than I like to use for most tasks. The 6 inches and lighter weight of this knife is more likely to get some use outdoors with me.

Overall I've always admired Cold Steel's Tanto series, but this model fixes the main problem i've always had with the American Tanto point. Totally worth $100 new!! Even my daughter who cares nothing about knives thinks it's got pretty lines.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a great looking blade, really like the shape! I too, quickly became tired of the Americanized "tanto" point. My grail knife would be the Spyderco Lum tanto, just can't justify spending the coin on one.

A long time ago I bought what seemed to be the perfect "fighting/combat" knife blade design for the way I would use it from Cold Steel. It was called the Taipan. Basically a double edged dagger/fighting knife similar to the WWII "Commando" knives, only instead of a narrow, fragile stiletto point, the blade is much wider with a spear tip for much more tip strength. Almost like a 7" mini-Gladius.

It just sits in a box though, not practical for a field knife and I'm not getting into many knife fights. Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Ooo, yes, I think the Taipan is awesome too, but yeah, it would have as much utility as the original Commando knife even with wide end. At least with the Outdoorsman, it was relatively cheap for the quality, and has a useful shape/length. I already have a really useless but cool knife, my Schrade Combat Bayonette. It's only purpose in life is to look cool mounted on my Mossberg 590. Other than that, it's never even been outside of it's sheath... Still waiting on that Zombie horde to prove it was worth the $30 bucks I paid for it long ago!!!

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
Still waiting on that Zombie horde to prove it was worth the $30 bucks I paid for it long ago!!!

I'll head east away from the coastal horde, you head west out of the city and we can link up. I'll have your back with the Taipan. Wink

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post