SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Microtech LUDT
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microtech LUDT Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
These are really nicely made and very useful.

upload images

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice looking knife. I like the color combo.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have an OD green one in M390. When I first got it I went to open it and the action was so surprisingly strong that it flipped right out of my hand. Natural reaction was to catch the falling knife and though of course that was stupid to do, I did catch it waist level, luckily by the handle. Unfortunately though the blade had sliced through my thick gun belt like butter and the tip stopped on my tucked in shirt, making only a tiny hole and somehow not piercing my skin.

The entire thing lasted about a quarter second I imagine and I felt ZERO resistance when it landed. The surprise of it actually going through my belt that easily freaked me out enough that to this day it is the only knife I am actually a little apprehensive to handle. And I routinely carry all sorts of autos, respectfully, though without hesitation or undue concern.

That LUDT is greased lightning in M390 and IMHO one of the best production folding knives made. Microtech makes some absolutely amazing OTF’s though their folder game fu is just about as strong.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Yes, this one is that sharp, too. The factory edge is far better than the edge I can put on a knife, and better than a lot of pro sharpeners can do. The point is like a needle. 204P is very similar to M390 in composition and performance.

The edge is thin and almost flat ground, and it slices like crazy. The blade shape is a great generally useful shape. It is not excessively thick like most tactical knives are. The handle is comfortable, and my one gripe is that I wish it allowed you to get a little closer to the blade. There are lots of nice little knifemaker touches: the spine is rounded, the jimping is there but not sawtooth-ey, and the handle is tapered. The hardware is proprietary because they don't want you to take it apart. The LUDT isn't especially complicated, but the out-the-front openers are complicated, and that is probably for the best. You can buy the drivers from third party sources. The warranty service from Microtech is supposed to be good, but I haven't used it.

It does open with authority. The lock (which locks it open and closed) is very secure, and I have seen videos where people beat on them without failure. These aren't all that expensive for what they are, and the price compares favorably to other small factory knives.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I concur on all points. Wish I had jumped on the smaller UDT version years ago as this one is not overly large (despite being badged as the “large” UDT), but it’s just a bit more knife than I need for most daily tasks hence why the smaller one would be a great counterpart.

I vaguely remember member 220ST when he did his Saturday night specials (which at times I do miss—not sure what happened to him) and at least once he had up a LUDT. This was before I got into autos, but I remember thinking at the time “wow what a cool knife, must be nice to own one of those!”

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post