SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Doug Ritter RSK Mk-1 G2 ABLE made by Hogue: Finally ordered a Hogue Mini-RSK
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doug Ritter RSK Mk-1 G2 ABLE made by Hogue: Finally ordered a Hogue Mini-RSK Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
I have several of Ritter's RSK's in both sizes. Now he is having them made by Hogue, still using the Axis lock as Benchmade's patent expires in 2016. Curious how the new one compares with the Benchmade models.

Link

quote:
First Look: Doug Ritter RSK Mk1-G2 Folder
First Look: Doug Ritter RSK Mk1-G2 Folder
Building on the success of the first-generation knife introduced in 2004, Knife Rights Chairman Doug Ritter returned to the market with an all-new redesign of his successful RSK Mk1 ambidextrous folding knife. Now, consumers can take advantage of this exclusive, second-generation blade made by Hogue Inc. and available from Knife Works: the RSK Mk1-G2 ABLE Lock Folder.

After the discontinuation of his Benchmade-produced line of knives, Ritter said he entertained offers from a number of manufacturers in the blade industry, finally settling on a partnership with Hogue, Inc.

"In Hogue, I believe I have found a partner who understands my goals, is dedicated to producing world-class knives in the U.S. with customer service second to none," Ritter said. "They are also committed to helping Knife Rights continue to forge a sharper future for all Americans."

In working with Hogue, Inc. engineers on the design and production of the new RSK Mk1-G2 ABLE Lock Folder, Ritter focused on how to make the already-popular configuration of the RSK knife even better. One design element he noted in particular was the AXIS lock, an ambidextrous mechanism patented by Benchmade. However, the patent expired in 2016, allowing Ritter and the Hogue team to incorporate the design into their new blade.

Therefore, the "ABLE" in the knife's name stands for Ambidextrous Bar Lock Enhanced, noting several improvements added to the design by Ritter's team. First, the internal mechanisms of the lock are built with a smoother finish and improved geometry, all aimed at providing enhanced performance. To this end, Ritter also teamed up with W.C. Wolff Co., a company well-known in the industry for its springs. Wolff provides the springs used in Hogue's line of automatic knives, and the team turned to the company to supply the springs used in the RSK Mk1-G2 locking mechanism.

The other critical element found in the RSK Mk1-G2 blade is the 3.4-inch drop-point blade, the same design featured on the original RSK Mk1 folding knife. The blade is made using Böhler-Uddeholm M390 high-carbon stainless steel and treated with a stonewashed finish. The blade is also treated with a cryogenic-finishing process in order to meet a Rockwell Hardness rating of 61-62.

Other features found on the Doug Ritter RSK Mk1-G2 ABLE folder include black scales machined from G10 laminate with a radial-checkered pattern that offers enhanced grip and an aesthetically pleasing look. The knife also features dual thumbstuds and a reversible, deep-carry pocket clip made of stainless steel. The suggested retail price on the knife is $179.95.

Here's some background from the KnifeWorks website:

quote:

Ritter explained, "when Benchmade advised me in the summer of 2016 that as part of a restructuring that they were no longer going to produce my RSK knives, it was quite a shock. These highly regarded knives have been my primary source of income for the last decade. That income is what has allowed me to spend the majority of my time on Knife Rights' efforts to free knife owners from irrational knife restrictions. This has resulted in 29 bills repealing knife bans enacted in 21 states, eight anti-knife bills defeated and numerous litigation victories in the past eight years. The sales also support my Equipped To Survive™ site and my participation on numerous national and international safety and survival standards committees. Walking away from Knife Rights and ETS due to the loss of knife income simply wasn't an option I would consider."

Ritter continued, "a number of knife companies approached me after I announced that Benchmade discontinued production, eager to take on this successful line of knives." In the end, Ritter has teamed with Hogue, Inc. to produce the next generation RSK® Mk1-G2. Ritter said, "in Hogue I believe I have found a partner who understands my goals, is dedicated to producing world-class knives in the U.S. with customer service second to none. They are also committed to helping Knife Rights continue to forge a Sharper Future for all Americans."

Jim Bruhns, Hogue Managing Partner, said, "We couldn't be prouder to partner with Doug to manufacture his highly regarded knives. That this will allow Doug to continue to fight for our rights is just icing on the cake for all of us at Hogue who one hundred percent support Knife Rights."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjtill,

Posts: 18004 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Just placed my pre-order!!! I really like the look of the scales.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
M390 is nice

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Mine is ordered but hasn't arrived yet.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My Benchmade Ritter rides in my pocket every day.

I'll have to pick one of these up too.

Interesting that Benchmade's Axis Lock patent has expired. I expect we'll see a number of knife makers incorporating it into their designs now. Which is a good thing, as I think it's much better than the traditional liner lock system.

Posts: 32404 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
I was really interested in this knife, but canceled the preorder after waiting more than 30 days. I did email their customer service to find out when it might ship but they were unable to provide any delivery information, and only mentioned that they had over 350 preorders and the shipment they received only had 70 units. I ended up ordering a custom g-10 griptlian with M4 from benchmade for 10 dollars more than the hogue using their military discount. If they ever become available as an in-stock item I might still pick one up just because of the blade shape.

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 406 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Any chance of a Mini version? That sure looks sexy.

Posts: 3516 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I have small and large versions of the Benchmade produced earlier versions. I love the blade shape and steel.

Watching this one for further feedback.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiff_P239:
Any chance of a Mini version? That sure looks sexy.

Yes, the mini would be awesome.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Got my RSK MK-1!!!!!

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
first impressions?

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I like it and I'd buy another one if I could afford it!!

The Good
  • Very good fit & finish, looks and feels like a premium knife should.
  • Smooth opening
  • Feels solid, G10 has very little flex
  • G10 texturing is aesthetic and useful, seems just right to me
  • Low riding pocket clip
  • Lock up is tight

The Bad
  • Pocket clip needs to be a little thicker and edges smoothed a bit; edges were noticeable when gripping the RSK
  • Doesn't seem to be any detent to keep the blade from opening accidentally - also why the knife seems so smooth; you can literally flick it out without using the thumb studs.
  • Blade length: should be longer, if they could have got it another .15"-.2" it'd be awesome

Random thoughts:
I used to own a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 but ended up selling it because I didn't carry it much and compared to the RSk Mk1, the RSK seems a more solid, "tougher" if you will - knife; yes, it's a little heavier than a Para2 but that also makes it beefier EDC but also the G10 doesn't flex like the Para2's. The RSK's fit & finish I thought was better than the Paramilitary 2....but it should be at the $153 I paid at knifeworks (BTW it sold out & is on pre-order again).

If Hogue could make the knife with a more inexpensive steel like 154cm or even S30V, this knife would sell like hotcakes but I imagine a big chunk of the manufacturing cost is the texturing of the G10.

Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Really wanted one. Ordered, waited 60 days, called the seller.....they had no idea re. expected delivery date. Canceled order & moved on.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Knifeworks is apparently shipping backorders. I got shipping notification, and my credit card charged. Tracking says delivery this afternoon.

ETA: got it! Very nice, the textured G-10 is very grippy, the Axis lock works just like my Benchmade's, very solid lockup, no play/looseness at all. Nice knife, very good value.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: architect,

Posts: 6391 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like they have changed the steel on this to CPM 20CV and upped the price by a few bucks.

Anyone have the new version who can comment about quality?

https://www.knifeworks.com/rskmk1g2.html

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
Looks like they have changed the steel on this to CPM 20CV and upped the price by a few bucks.

I have three of them, including the 20CV version.
Really no difference at all in quality. 20CV is essentially the US version of M390.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:

I have three of them, including the 20CV version.
Really no difference at all in quality. 20CV is essentially the US version of M390.

Thank you! This is very good to hear.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I finally ordered a Hogue-made Mini RSK in blue G-Mascus scales. Knifeworks has it at a great price--discounted (why? previous customer?) at about $128, free shipping. This is the right size for me.

Posts: 18004 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I believe I ordered the exact same model about two months ago. I wanted the mini specifically to have a 3" blade for out of state traveling. I love the blue g-mascus, it really stands out.

I ended up sanding the grip texture down on the clip side. It was a little too aggressive for my tastes, and didn't want to ruin any more pockets.

Even though it has pretty much the same blade size as the Para 3, it feels much smaller in the pocket.

Enjoy!

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ended up sanding the grip texture down on the clip side. It was a little too aggressive for my tastes, and didn't want to ruin any more pockets.

Yes! That is my only gripe with the grip. I will follow your lead and sand the grip, only on the clip side.