SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Suggestions for Replacing a b*nchmade Auto for EDC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for Replacing a b*nchmade Auto for EDC Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
For an OTF, it’s hard to beat a UTX-85 or even full size Ultratech. Cheaper option is the Lightning, for about $40. Cheap as hell, but reliable and fun. For side folding, I like the Microtech LUDT. If price is an issue, a great cheaper side opening is the Boker Kalishnikov. They are rock solid for under $50. Mine have never failed and are as good of workhorses as any knife I own.

OTF’s are fun to play with but need to be maintained a little more as if you use them for boxes and food prep you need to get residue off the blade before retracting into the handle or it will eventually (sometimes rather quickly) gum up and stall the action.

Almost forgot, if you want a nice gentleman’s side auto, the Protech Whiskers is a very svelt and precise knife. It opens via a sliding bolster scale, which is kind of a hidden feature to the untrained eye, adding to the allure IMHO.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Kershaw Launch series if you want an affordable side folding auto.

Guardian tactical if you want an OTF the is cheaper and better than what you would get from benchmade or microtech.

Thank you. Will look at Guardian Tactical.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
For an OTF, it’s hard to beat a UTX-85 or even full size Ultratech. Cheaper option is the Lightning, for about $40. Cheap as hell, but reliable and fun. For side folding, I like the Microtech LUDT. If price is an issue, a great cheaper side opening is the Boker Kalishnikov. They are rock solid for under $50. Mine have never failed and are as good of workhorses as any knife I own.

OTF’s are fun to play with but need to be maintained a little more as if you use them for boxes and food prep you need to get residue off the blade before retracting into the handle or it will eventually (sometimes rather quickly) gum up and stall the action.

Almost forgot, if you want a nice gentleman’s side auto, the Protech Whiskers is a very svelt and precise knife. It opens via a sliding bolster scale, which is kind of a hidden feature to the untrained eye, adding to the allure IMHO.

Thank you. The Protech Whiskers sounds very interesting and might make sense to replace the bm side auto Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post