SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Emerson Thread...
Page 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Emerson Thread... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Special ECA knives on Emerson's site right now. Not many, and they are going fast!

SOOOO want the carbon fiber Gentleman Jim....just not in the budget currently

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Then you may not want to know that today a dozen Wood handled Patriots were posted for sale...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. I got that email... lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
The owners of EKI and Steel Flame agreed to make this clip for me. I'm surprised it was never requested before. I really like it. It is as if the shield is being held in front of his chest.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Elegant, Chuck.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Now for sale

Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Aw, dammit. I'm new to the club, recently got a Mini CQC7.

Posting that could potentially hurt my wallet. That is so sweet!

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Mini7 is a great knife, congrats!

It is extremely cool. It is also a very specific tool. Because of the copper beryllium blade it is used in explosives ordinance demolition, hence "EOD". The edge will lose sharpness much faster than a steel knife. It is extremely important if you get one to not sharpen it yourself as you would another knife unless you have robust ventilation and dust management gear. This material is very damaging to lungs.

Regardless, it is s sweet, bad implement!

Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
In all honesty, that would be an investment buy and it would be a toss up between that, or three less expensive Emersons. I'm eyeballing the commander variants at the moment. I work with steel, so that definitely caught my eye!

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post
New item in the EDC:

Posts: 545 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: December 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vemon,

Posts: 545 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: December 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post

Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I'm a long-time user of Emerson knives and have quite a few. Last summer I added three tan Roadhouses for my flight bag and flight suit, and one for carry in my pocket. I have quite a few Emersons, and have carried them all over the world. They get used and abused.

I broke down recently and bought an Emerson-licensed waved Zero Tolerance (0620). While it feels robust enough and came sharp, it doesn't open like my Emersons. The arc of the blade and thumb disc, the force needed to open, angle of force from thumb to opening, and the feel of the knife isn't what I'd have expected from an Emerson. It didn't want to open properly from a pocket draw.

I understand the knife is new, but while I'm certainly not returning it and I'll probably use it quite a bit, I expected more. The geometry doesn't feel right to me. Fit and finish is okay, and the blade's centered, very little play, The finished edge is a little uneven, and I'd rather have a G10 or micarta scale on each side of the knife rather than just one. It's a little heavier.

I still prefer the commanders.

I hope the pocket clip holds up better than the Emerson ones...those fail in very short order. The end of the Zero-T clip is bend downward, and may be less inclined to snag and pull (and lose tension). Time shall tell.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
There is a particular comfort in knowing which knives fit one's hand. Glad that you know yours.

I haven't had Emerson clip problems, other than an occasional screw backing out. I'd contact EKI and explain what has been happening. Otherwise, might consider a steel flame clip as another option.

Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post
Again claw Smile

Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post

has a low threshold
for bullshit
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
This is my Sarah Palin knife. In 2008, I was a Secret Service Agent assigned to secure a hotel for Sarah Palin.

The hotel manager had left a wrapped gift in her suite, and I used this knife to open the package before she arrived. However, due to unforeseen circumstances (Bristol), I had to attend to another issue in the hotel, and forgot my knife in the suite.

The next morning, Governor Palin stepped into the hallway holding my knife, and returned it. No issues. No drama. She just returned my knife.

Thus, it is my Sarah Palin knife.

Posts: 1687 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
This is my Sarah Palin knife. In 2008, I was a Secret Service Agent assigned to secure a hotel for Sarah Palin.

The hotel manager had left a wrapped gift in her suite, and I used this knife to open the package before she arrived. However, due to unforeseen circumstances (Bristol), I had to attend to another issue in the hotel, and forgot my knife in the suite.

The next morning, Governor Palin stepped into the hallway holding my knife, and returned it. No issues. No drama. She just returned my knife.

Thus, it is my Sarah Palin knife.

Awesome story, thanks for sharing.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post