SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Emerson Thread...
Page 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 97
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Emerson Thread... Login/Join 
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Guys, Midway has 3 more Super Commanders (SF Plain) at $160...Killer deal. If you know anyone who wants one, drop 'em a line. I got mine already...

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
CQC-7 BTS is $106.

Bastards.

Must not buy another knife. Must not buy another knife.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Czechvar:
Guys, Midway has 3 more Super Commanders (SF Plain) at $160...Killer deal. If you know anyone who wants one, drop 'em a line. I got mine already...

Ya talked me into it. Looks like I got the last one too.

Posts: 3220 | Registered: February 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Just got advance notification of a new model from the ECA...The Emerson Hattin...Modeled after the Islamic Scimitar and named after the Battle of Hattin - waged on July 4, 1187, a historic battle fought on the arid plains below the Horns of Hattin that resulted in a crushing defeat for the Crusaders and Byzantine by the armies of Sal Al A Din (Saladin) the greatest of all Islamic Warriors.

You can order in advance in the Special Runs Section...Ships in 2-3 weeks.

http://emersonknives.com/produ...knives/special-runs/

Myself, I'll pass on this one. I just got a Persian, and they seem very similar. That and the carnage from the Midway sale is still pretty fresh...

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post

Here's a comparison shot for you with a Persian, Gypsy Jack, Soiree, and then on the right the Hatin.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
I like the handle on the Persian better than the one on the Hattin. I prefer the thinner blade too. The Persian doesn't have a Wave either, which adds to the uniqueness of the design...at least for me.

posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, I just got my first Emerson Knife in and it sucks. No joke. I really dislike this knife. Opening and closing it takes 2 hands the action is so stiff. I can understand that it's not spring assisted, fine. But darned stiff to open, I can't toss it one handed like any Benchmade or Kershaw non-assist. Are all of the Emersons like that or should I be talking to the factory cause I got a screwed up one?

Mine is the Emerson Mini-CQC-7 from the Midway sale.

Thanks

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Sorry guys, I just got my first Emerson Knife in and it sucks. No joke. I really dislike this knife. Opening and closing it takes 2 hands the action is so stiff. I can understand that it's not spring assisted, fine. But darned stiff to open, I can't toss it one handed like any Benchmade or Kershaw non-assist. Are all of the Emersons like that or should I be talking to the factory cause I got a screwed up one?

Mine is the Emerson Mini-CQC-7 from the Midway sale.

Thanks

All Emerson knives are shipped "tight" from factory mostly due to international shipping laws on pocket knives. Certain places will not allow a pocket knife that can be flicked open with the wrist. That being said have you tried adjusting the pivot? You can adjust it to your liking and use some Teflon tape to keep it in place. Lastly, Emersons are meant to be users not collectibles,... Even his full dress customs are designed for use. They take a while to break in. Open and close it a few hundred times while watching a tv show or something. You can also take it apart and wipe off all the lube. I don't really any lube myself as I've found that using lube attracts more dirt and gunk from your pocket. The factory washers are self lubricating and are good to go as is.

Posts: 243 | Registered: July 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Arceface1, I haven't monkeyed with it yet, but I'll try adjusting the pivot and working the action. Appreciate the reply. It's my first Emerson so I have no idea.

Story time. While back I had bought a Lone Wolf Harshey D2 automatic knife. Fantastic knife: world class impressive to me. Loved it so much I bought a couple more. The 2nd version was super hard to deploy the blade. I grabbed one and went into the Lone Wolf Factory to have them examine it. Jim Wehr, President and owner of the company comes out to see what was the deal. He explained that the SOF had examined the first version, and only had one complaint, that the blade deployed too easily. He said, they're tough military guys and none of them have any issue opening the new version. I replied that "I'm former military and have clearly gone soft cause it sometimes wouldn't even open for me no matter how hard I squeeze it". Just then his daughter Taffy wanders over to see whats up. He hands it too her and says, "Honey, is this one too hard to open?" She proceeds to easily open it 4 or 5 times in short order. Hands it back and to my chargrin I still can't get it:-)

So I went back to EDC the original easier version and years later after Benchmade and bought and then folded the company, I still have the near new, little opened, D2 knives. Hoping I get the strength sometime:-)

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Arceface1 entirely nailed it, of course. As with many things in life it's easier to loosen something from its original condition than to tighten something that's loose to start with.

If you want to work on grip strength try the Captains of Crush website.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First thing I do to mine is to take them apart, clean, lightly lube and reassemble with pivot tightened to my preference.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
Picked up a 2001 CQC-7 for a few bucks.

Both of my 7's are going to Emerson for a new edge, spa treatment for the '01, and have them look at the sticky lockup on the 2014.

Got both of these back today. Less than a week including shipping.

The 2014 locks up earlier, but MAN is it ever sticky now. At least it's consistent, so it might break in pretty quick.

The 2001 that got the spa treatment is TIGHT. It's going to get broken in light new.

Time to order another couple Gray Precision discs.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Picked up a 2001 CQC-7 for a few bucks.

Both of my 7's are going to Emerson for a new edge, spa treatment for the '01, and have them look at the sticky lockup on the 2014.

Got both of these back today. Less than a week including shipping.

The 2014 locks up earlier, but MAN is it ever sticky now. At least it's consistent, so it might break in pretty quick.

The 2001 that got the spa treatment is TIGHT. It's going to get broken in light new.

Time to order another couple Gray Precision discs.

I may have to send my 2001 mini CQC7 to the spa. I carried it for years.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Wave your new Emerson open 20-30 times and it should smooth right out. If you still prefer it easier and lighter to open then adjust the pivot screw a tiny bit.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just got advance notification of a new model from the ECA...The Emerson Hattin...Modeled after the Islamic Scimitar and named after the Battle of Hattin - waged on July 4, 1187, a historic battle fought on the arid plains below the Horns of Hattin that resulted in a crushing defeat for the Crusaders and Byzantine by the armies of Sal Al A Din (Saladin) the greatest of all Islamic Warriors.

You can order in advance in the Special Runs Section...Ships in 2-3 weeks.

http://emersonknives.com/produ...knives/special-runs/

Myself, I'll pass on this one. I just got a Persian, and they seem very similar. That and the carnage from the Midway sale is still pretty fresh...

I like that blade but wish it had a handle closer to the Persian. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Got these 2 today. Traded a Benchmade mini stryker auto for the Gerber-Emerson auto. I thought the Benchmade would be easier to find than this Gerber. Going to order another Stryker soon.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Guys...The Midway Clearance Sale update:

Price on the Emerson Police Utility Fixed Blade Tactical Knife just dropped to $111...This is a $230 knife normally.

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...de-g-10-handle-black

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys...The Midway Clearance Sale update:

Price on the Emerson Police Utility Fixed Blade Tactical Knife just dropped to $111...This is a $230 knife normally.

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...de-g-10-handle-black

Plain edge SARK is $90. $107 less than the serrated model.
http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...e-g-10-handles-black

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armkev:
Got these 2 today.

What size Commander?

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by armkev:
Got these 2 today.

What size Commander?

Its the Super Commander from Midway that you posted me into getting and man do I like it. Thanks, its badass.