SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Emerson Thread...
Page 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 97
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Emerson Thread... Login/Join 
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Congrats...Both extremely useful knives. Wonder why they discontinued the Micro...It's pretty popular.

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

The locks on both of these are very stiff/sticky. Is that a thing with Emersons? I read plenty of "wow this is a junky knife compared to how people talk about them" reviews, so I'm not expecting mega-grade build stuff. But if I really flick my wrist to open the 7 the liner comes way far over and takes a good amount and a loud 'click' to get moved over.

I've already trimmed the scale a bit on the 7 to help with my lefty manipulation. Much easier to close when the scale isn't flush with the lock.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
They should be tight at first, and will loosen up. The tolerances are very tight. The Liner Locks will wear in with usage. I use TufGlide on the blade and into the pivot to smooth out the opening. You could back off the pivot screw slightly if you want an easier opening. You'll find the Wave opening much better after it breaks in.

posted Hide Post
I detail disassemble, clean, relube and reassemble all of mine immediately after getting them

I've replaced the nylon washers with better as well

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

What washers do you use, and where do you get them?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Czechvar:
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

What washers do you use, and where do you get them?

A lot of folk like to switch to the phosphor bronze washers. I've experimented with this and lets just say I've switched back to the nylatron washers that Ernie provides. At first they may seem smoother but after lots of use and pocket carry they collect more dirt then the nylatron washers. Also I live in Florida and have had the PB washers rust on me. Once broken in the nylatron washers feel just as smooth if not smoother then the PB washers feel at first. You can order them from knife supply websites and such.

Posts: 243 | Registered: July 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Midway Damage Report in Top Photo, minus one stonewashed plain edge SOCFK yet to arrive:

Rest of the gang, minus one CQC-7BW in my pocket:

posted Hide Post
quote:
Midway Damage Report in Top Photo, minus one stonewashed plain edge SOCFK yet to arrive:

Rest of the gang, minus one CQC-7BW in my pocket:

Very nice collection. Looks like you spent a lot of time amassing a great collection of well kept productions. The fixed Karambit is one of my favorites. What a wicked blade! But as I examine your pictures and do the math in my head all I see is a Custom Roadhouse or Custom CQC-22 or maybe one of the new designs like a Custom Half Mate or Custom Tiger. I had a collection of over 25 productions once and the experience of selling them and scoring my first custom was awesome! It's a vicious cycle but fun nonetheless. Once that custom slips into your pocket it'll all make sense. Unless you already either have one or have had one then just disregard everything I just said lol.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
My entire collection cost less than one Custom Roadhouse...I'm not in the big leagues. I'd be scared to death to scratch it. I'm pretty happy with production models. I think the nicest ones I have are the Chrome SPECWAR, the OBS, and the UBR Commander.

I have my eye on a Patriot and maybe a Persian. They'll have to wait a bit I'm afraid. I will say that the Super Roadhouse is my favorite to hold...Something special about that one.

The one Grail I love but I'll never be able to have is a Rhino. Mike Searson has one...Maybe a few other guys that have posted in this Thread have had one. But they are as rare as Unicorns...

posted Hide Post
I see where your coming from but also consider the custom market for Emerson's is low right now. I've seen custom roadhouses go for $1000. Heck there's a custom cqc-22 and custom gypsy jack both listed for $950 each shipped on the USN. I've seen users go for 750-900 shipped as well. There are great deals to be had if you look in the right places. You could easily get around $500 bucks for the UBR and Fixed Karambit. Easily get a little over $100 each for the trainers. Maybe 1 or 2 more productions and boom your right there and still have a healthy size of your productions left. The thing about productions is you can always find them down the road. Also something else to consider is that Ernie makes his customs for use as well. I have no qualms about using them hard and then sending them back to Ernie for a refurb. Sure it may take a few months and cost a hundred bucks but it will come back looking mint as the day she was born. Most of the time though I just let the knife develop character. Just some food for thought. Still an awesome collection. Life's too short not to use these treasures regardless of cost. You'll feel better after the first scratch.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Smile

posted Hide Post
I've got your entire collection pictured valued at around $2000 give or take a few hundred in either direction. Heck you can get two customs for that.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I don't know why the Gypsy Jack market is so flat unless it is just that people haven't handled them. It is an extremely special blade.

To the point of ease of use of a lefty a larger aftermarket thumb disc should help also

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice collection Czechvar!

I thought you had sold that Super CQC-8?!

; )

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
Nice collection Czechvar!
I thought you had sold that Super CQC-8?!
; )

I did sell it last year. I replaced most of the knives I sold last year. These are my favorites. The Midway sale averaged 40% off from GP Knives/Blade HQ/Knifeworks prices.

I still have a stonewashed Plain Edge SOCFK coming Monday that I think will be my new EDC.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arceface1:
I've got your entire collection pictured valued at around $2000 give or take a few hundred in either direction. Heck you can get two customs for that.

Smile Just can't do it...I love the production blades. I'll leave the Customs to the real experts.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
I don't know why the Gypsy Jack market is so flat unless it is just that people haven't handled them. It is an extremely special blade.

To the point of ease of use of a lefty a larger aftermarket thumb disc should help also

I think it's a nice looking Blade, but it takes a refined eye to love it. You, Ernie, and Keith Richards man...that's good company...

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still have a stonewashed Plain Edge SOCFK coming Monday that I think will be my new EDC.

Interestingly, I just went and checked to see if they're still on sale. The SOCFK plain edge satin blade is $110.30.

Could have sworn it was more than that last week.

It's like they WANT me to buy it. Have that one on the way. Good things come to those who wait?

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
quote:

Interestingly, I just went and checked to see if they're still on sale. The SOCFK plain edge satin blade is $110.30.

It's like they WANT me to buy it. Have that one on the way. Good things come to those who wait?

I paid $118. Looks like some other models have dropped too. The CQC-13 dropped $20 from what I paid...They're giving them away now I guess.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
quote:

I paid $118.

I thought so. Just what I need, more drops in prices on these. 3 is enough for now, right?

I have a Gray Precision monster thumb disk coming for my -7. I don't think the SOCFK will need it. THe one thing I don't like about the CQC-7 is that the blade feels a touch undersized for a handle of this size. The SOCFK might enhance that?

Only mod I'd think about is to trim the scale next to the lock a touch so the jimping on the lock stands a little proud when pressed to the scale. Makes closing as a lefty a bit easier.