SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Emerson Thread...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 97
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Emerson Thread... Login/Join 
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
The 15 looks great...What is your impression of the Tanto Recurve mix? The stonewash finish looks great...

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Ernie is a friend and a great guy, everyone should attend a show he's at and shake his hand.
Back before the CQC6 he made a variety of knives.

Better yet, go in the back room and attend one of his hand to hand demonstrations! Wink

WAAAAAAYYYYYYYY more interisting than a handshake!

Well, he has a few upcoming events where you can do both...Wish it was in Minnesota, but...

Show Calendar

Hawaiian Knife Show April 13

AtLanta's Blade Show May 31-June 2

Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Czechvar:
The 15 looks great...What is your impression of the Tanto Recurve mix? The stonewash finish looks great...

Is seems Hinderer spantoish. I think once a sharpening is needed I'll smooth out the point in the transition from the recurve to the tanto. I am admittedly not really a fan of the Americanized tanto, so no CQC7 for me, but the 15 called to me.

The stone wash is great. It is a much better finish than EKI's older satin finish which looked unappealing to me.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
How about a few fixed blades I used to own:

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3387 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Wow...those are amazing...especially the first two, what is the grip material?

When did you have these knives?

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
All of them have Micarta. I'm not sure when I got these, I've been collecting Emersons since 1993 or 94. My first Emerson was bought at a knife show in NY, I was at his table as he was unpacking and my brother, myself and another fellow got CQC6s with the Half Moon Logo!

Win

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3387 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
How about a few fixed blades I used to own:

The Kandahar is one of my favorite fighter designs. Wish I could afford one. Awesome knife.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Learned a little bit more...Thanks...From the Emerson Collectors Association...

http://www.emersonknives.com/ECA/Knives.htm

quote:
The Kandahar is the first large size military Combat Knife from Emerson Knives, Inc. There are several attributes that should be found in all true Combat knives. The Kandahar is the razor sharpened steel embodiment of all those attributes. With a Blade length of 6.0 inches, blade thickness of .160 inches, handle length of 5.60 inches and overall length of 11.90 inches, it is large enough for brute work yet just the right size and weight to wield with extreme accuracy and quickness. The handles are rhino tough Micarta bolted securely to the tang with Mil-spec stainless steel socket head bolts. The Knife features a deeply recessed finger guard for safety and the trademark Emerson thumb ramp over the top. Sheath is ballistic nylon with kydex insert. It is perfectly balanced for lightning quickness, devastating effectiveness, and pinpoint accuracy.

The blades are double V ground with green canvas micarta handles. This knife features an ergonomically correct and extremely safe handle design that are the trademarks of Emerson fixed blade designs. This is the first pure "military" style fixed blade from the Emerson Company and we are getting serious inquiries about the knife from military purchasing agents as an alternative to the K-Bar and others that are now currently available.

This knife is also being featured in a movie that is currently being filmed starring Bruce Willis that was tentatively titled "Man o' War". My good friend and partner Harry Humphries is directing all the action/combat scenes in the movie. Harry, US Navy SEAL (Ret), directed all the combat footage in Black Hawk Down. I worked with him when I was with Global Studies Group Inc. (GSGI).

"This is probably the finest large fixed blade that I've ever designed. It has great heft, perfect balance and can do some serious damage. These knives are on the ground in Afghanistan as we speak with civilian/military advisors."

Ernest R. Emerson

"One thing is for certain. The Afghans know their way around knives. Whenever I pull out the Emerson Kandahar first they look at the knife and then they look at me... and they know exactly what this knife is intended for. "

M.L.H. "Civilian" Advisor - Kabul Afghanistan

Price for Pre-Production Run

$600.00

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the Link to another interesting place to explore...The Emerson Collectors Association...

http://www.emersonknives.com/ECA/Home.html

In the Archives there are some pretty wild pictures of discontinued models, or special projects...I liked this one a lot..."The Eagle"...

And the most badass (Sickle) Karambit...ever...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Czechvar,

Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Also anyone looking to buy check out Howes Knife Shop. Great prices and service. I think I see a Super CQC-8SF in my future.

If anyone is interested is a Super CQC-15 let EKI know, there's a chance it may be built.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Also ran across an article Ernest wrote back in 2006 for a Law Enforcement agency concerned about Karambit armed attackers...

Countering the Karambit

Use your street smarts and your body’s startle defense to defend against this slashing weapon.

June 01, 2006 | by Ernest Emerson

Recently I received a rather urgent phone call from a government agency with the following request: “Ernest, in 48 hours we are dispatching an agent to Iraq. He will be training Iraqi police forces. There has been a recent influx of Indonesian jihadists into Iraq, and we are seeing the increased use of a small sickle-bladed knife. There have been several recent incidents where it’s been the weapon of choice. Number one, is it familiar to you? Number two, I know it’s short notice, but is there anything you can give our agent in way of a crash course on defending against it, so he can cover it in his instructional program?”

I knew the knife. From the description and the land of origin, it had to be a karambit. It figured that jihadist militants coming into Iraq from Indonesia would bring along one of their favorite weapons.

Fortunately, at the time of this call I was in the middle of working on a training module for the Federal Air Marshals that included how to defend against an unprovoked, surprise edged-weapon attack. Since a weapon secreted or carried onto a plane was more likely to be a slashing weapon rather than a stabbing weapon, the three modules I had developed for the marshals were a logical match for a karambit defense.

I know what you’re thinking. You’re saying, “I’m not a Federal Air Marshal” and “I’m not going to Iraq or Indonesia any time soon.” Fine. But as an American law enforcement officer, you still need to know how to counter the karambit.

A number of American knife makers (including myself) make versions of this weapon. It’s a great knife, and I’m proud to make it for law-abiding citizens who want one. However, I also want you to know how to defend yourself against it should a bad guy try to attack you with it.

What follows is a short version of the crash course I provided for the agent before he departed for Baghdad.

Karambit Basics

For those of you who might not be familiar with it, the karambit is a small to medium-sized personal fighting knife that was developed and is still used today in the Indonesian archipelago. It features a distinctively curved blade that’s shaped very much like a tiger’s claw and is every bit as effective. It usually features a large ring or hole at the end of the handle, so that a finger can be inserted to secure a very firm grip. Because of the unique shape of the blade, the karambit is actually a fairly poor stabbing weapon. It’s designed for raking and tearing, just like the claw of a tiger. It can also be a very effective weapon for slashing someone’s throat.

Karambit attacks are swift, sharp, slashing attacks. People who are skilled with this knife can draw it quickly and smoothly. You should also be aware that it can be drawn and brought into action with the same motion that you would use to draw a wallet. Since the weapon is small, it is fast, and it is usually deployed in a slapping motion by the bad guy. Just remember that each slap carries with it a piece of sharpened steel.

Is the karambit difficult to defend against? Not any more so than any other edged weapon. They are all deadly if the user’s intent is to cause harm. Of course, the best defense against an edged-weapon attack, in this case the karambit, is a preemptive defense.

Preempting a Karambit Attack

The karambit is usually (not always) carried in the front pocket where it can be easily accessed. Since approximately 85 percent of the population is right handed, it will probably be found most often in the right front pocket. Let’s hope it’s in the pocket of a law-abiding citizen. But if you do run into a bad guy with a karambit, there are several things you can do to protect yourself.

What I am about to discuss does not cover response with a firearm. Obviously if someone attacks you with a karambit or any other blade, you can use deadly force to end the threat. The problem is you may not have time to draw your gun and fire.

This scenario covers a situation where you are already within arm’s reach of your attacker. The Tueller (21-foot) rule does not apply here because you will not have a chance to draw your weapon. Your friend, distance, has already been taken away. This defense is not intended to counter an attack by a crazed man charging at you from across the street. Rather, it addresses a surprise move made against you during an interview with a suspect whom you’ve already approached.

Here’s how to keep yourself safe from a karambit attack while interviewing a subject:
•Don’t assume the subject is not armed.
•Don’t get too close to the subject.
•Don’t get distracted.
•Don’t let your guard down.

Reacting to a Karambit Attack

OK. Let’s say you’ve followed these four simple and vital rules, and you still get attacked.

The attack has already been initiated and you are very vulnerable. This is the moment of the startle response, where you are merely reacting to a stimulus. In this case, a threat. As a result of this threat your arms will instinctively raise in front of your chest or face. That’s a good thing because the most vulnerable targets against a slashing attack are the eyes, face, and throat, so these are the areas that must be protected at all costs.

The startle response is an interesting creature. There are many different psychological, physiological, and physical responses that take place almost simultaneously during the human instinctual response to a perceived threat. Since this is a crash course, we will only concern ourselves with the movement of the hands.

The thing to understand about the startle reflex is that it can be modified to be an effective defense of your face, throat, and eyes. This can be achieved by using a bit of creative visualization along with the repetitive process of shaping this reflex into a move or posture that suits your defensive needs. So by pretending to be startled and repeatedly coaxing this movement into the position you want, you are conditioning the reflex to better suit your needs.

Since the startle response already has your hands and arms in motion and moving in the right direction, merely extend the movement farther up to place the hands onto the sides or top of your head. This posture, which I call the “Universal Cover Position,” forms a natural frame.

This defensive posture accomplishes several things. It is different from a boxing cover in that, although it partial obscures your field of view, you can still see through it both frontally and peripherally. And while this position places your arms in the line of attack, it only exposes the least vulnerable area of your arms—the outside of your forearms—to the slashing, while it blocks attacks to the eyes and neck. In addition, this arm position causes the trapezius muscles and deltoids to “hunch up” on either side of the neck, further protecting your jugular/carotid areas. You can maintain this position until your reactive state is broken and you transition into a counterattack.

Fighting Back

From the Universal Cover Position, your arms and hands merely have to be thrust forward to begin your counterattack. If you are overwhelmed at anytime during your attack, it will only take you a brief movement to recover back to the original Universal Cover Position.

Forget defensive tactics. At this point, your best defense is an aggressive, overwhelming counterattack. As previously mentioned, this weapon will most likely be used in a slashing motion. Since these slashes or slaps mimic the motions of round house punches, coming from side to side, your counterattack should come straight forward up the middle.

This allows you to employ several tactical options. You can strike directly to the face and eyes, thereby forcing your attacker into a defensive (reactive) mode. Or you can slam forward into your attacker, enabling the clinch, which will stop the attacker’s ability to continue the attack. The clinch—just as in boxing—prevents your opponent from striking or slashing.

The basic concept for all hand-to-hand combat that I teach to the military is simple and direct, and it involves these actions: parry, stun, takedown, and finish. In the case of a deadly attack, it doesn’t matter if you are military, civilian, or police. This concept will apply to you.

In a situation where someone is trying to take your life, procedures and protocol do not apply; your survival is the only thing that matters. There are things you need to know and things you need to do in order to ensure your survival. Most of all you have to be prepared both mentally and physically to do anything in order to defeat the bad guy and survive the attack.

More:

http://www.policemag.com/chann...he-winning-edge.aspx

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
not a collector piece anymore.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Mr. Emerson would be proud of you, that's the way his "#1 Hard Use Knives in the World" are supposed to look... Smile

But you really need to send a picture to them so they can upload it to their Photo Gallery...That one is a beauty!

http://www.emersonbrandapparel...Appar_FamousGal.html

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
More on the Emerson "Patriot" knife project...using actual wood from one of George Washingtons trees...And a few other topics...For fun he designs a bunch of knives while being timed. Fun video to watch...The man is an artist with 'tude... Smile

It's amazing that he's such an accomplished designer, and yet a world class martial artist...amongst many other accomplishments. Cool

Picture of wreckdiverjosh
posted Hide Post

Change of Plans...

Posts: 268 | Location: Virginia | Registered: March 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiverjosh:

Josh, you should upload your picture to Emerson as well...those are some well earned character marks!

http://www.emersonbrandapparel...Appar_FamousGal.html

This shows moderately heavy use, the coating holds up pretty well.

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
My mini A-100.

My first CqC7's. I sold the large on and lost the mini green on a bike trip.

The replacement Green Mini CQC7 that I was able to find after looking for over a year. Intrestingly enough, the serial number is only 5 off from my original Green Mini CQC7.

I am an Emerson fan.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
My Karambit with refreshments.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Ernest Emersons personal EDC...appears to be a Serrated Commander with a few special Lethal Edge mods. The Skull Cross Pivot Bolt is Silver and you can get them in the Bling section at Emerson. Probably not another knife like it around...Picture is from the Emerson Facebook page...And I want one now... Smile

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
The story of the CQC-22 and a collaboration with Spikes Tactical...The knife was made exclusively for this package.

Spike’s Tactical x Emerson Knives Limited Edition CQC-22 Rifle and Knife Package

Posted June 18th, 2010 by Tactical-Life.com

Spike’s Tactical and Emerson Knives brings to you the Limited Edition CQC-22 Rifle and Knife package. As of right now they only have plans to produce 100 of these Limited Edition rifle/knife packages. The CQC-22 rifle will be avilable in either a dedicated 22LR or 5.56mm, please choose caliber below. Spikestactical.com.

Here are the specs of the 5.56 upper:

-Spike’s Tactical M4 flat top upper receiver, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish, Mil-Spec Dryfilm lube on the inside, T-markings, M4 feed ramps, and Emerson logo.

-Barrel is 4150 Chromoly Vanadium Alloy, M4 barrel extention, Chrome chamber and bore, 5.56mm Nato chamber, 1:7 Twist, Magnetic particle testing on every barrel, Phosphate finish.

-M4 profile with Carbine-length gas system.

-Low profile gas block, Barrel is dimpled to retain set screws.

-The M16 carriers are Chrome lined with a Mil-Spec phosphate finish.

-Forged Mil-Spec carrier key, Chrome lined, attached with Grade 8 hardware and Properly staked.

-MP tested bolt, Each extractor is fitted with a Mil-Spec black insert and Mil-Spec Viton o-ring.

-Forged Mil-Spec charging handle.

-Spike’s Tactical 9″ BAR rail system.

-A2 Flash Hider.

Here are the specs of the dedicated .22 upper:

-Spike’s Tactical M4 flat top upper receiver, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish, Mil-Spec Dryfilm lube on the inside, T-markings, and Emerson logo.

-16″ Lothar Walther Chromoly Match grade barrel, M4 profile, 1:16 twist rate, 22LR chamber, threaded 1/2×28, Mil-Spec Phosphate finish.

-Spike’s Tactical Dedicated 22LR bolt.

-Forged Mil-Spec charging handle.

-Spike’s Tactical 9″ BAR rail system.

-A2 Flash Hider.

Here are the lower specs:

-Spike’s Tactical Lower, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish, Engraved with Emerson logo.

-ST Nickel Boron coated Battle trigger

-Ambi Safety selector

-KNS Gen II Mod II Anti-Rotation pins

-ST Enhanced billet trigger guard

-6 Position Mil-Spec buffer tube, castle nut and Properly staked latch plate.

-ST-T2 Tungsten Heavy buffer.

-Mil-Spec 17-4 stainless steel buffer spring.

-Magpul CTR stock.

-Ergo grip.

Here are the Knife specs-

Blade Length: 3.750 in.
Overall Length: 8.900 in.
Handle Length: 5.150 in.
Blade Thickness: .125 in.
Handle Thickness: .525 in.

Materials

Blade : Crucible 154CM High Carbon Stainless Tool Steel 57-59 RC Hardness
Lock: 6Al 4V Aerospace Grade Titanium, locking liner system.
Handle: Black G-10 Laminate Composite
Features: The Emerson “Wave opening feature”
Emerson Iron Clad Warranty
Double V grind with Emerson signature super sharp “chisel edge”

The Emerson CQC-22 knife features a modified tanto bowie blade perfectly matched to a super comfortable Emerson Ergonomic handle. “This knife is designed to work – To Work Hard.” Although built for hard use, the knife fits your hand like a comfortable glove, and you’ll feel it the moment you pick one up. This is a wickedly designed knife that will excel as a tactical tool, hunter, or any other field grade task. If you could only carry one knife, the CQC-22 would probably be the one.

CQC-22 Package includes-

-Spike’s Tactical CQC-22 rifle, in 5.56mm or 22LR.

-Emerson CQC-22 Knife (ONLY Avilable with this package!)

-Front and Rear Magpul MBUS Sights

-(3) Ergo rail covers

-(2) Heavy Duty QD Sling loops (one on the stock and one on the rail)

-(1) Magpul 30rd Pmag (5.56) or (1) BDM 26rd Magazine (22LR)

-Spike’s 36″ rifle case w/ Custom Emerson patch

http://www.tactical-life.com/g...e-and-knife-package/